NVME Clone

husker

+1 for Macrium Reflect, even the free version.

Clones can be iffy and for that reason I do like JIm, make a full disc image (all partitions) backup to a separate drive then restore to the new drive.

Another reason not to use Clone, its reported a clone will copy everything including bad sectors and corrupted data.  A disc image does not.

• 1 month later...
On 11/25/2022 at 4:33 AM, Jim Roseberry said:

You can also do this with Acronis True Image.

You can "clone" the drive directly to another... or you can create a backup image file... and then load that onto a new drive.

I prefer the later... as I get a backup... AND a clone.

+1 for Acronis True Image.

On 11/24/2022 at 6:53 PM, husker said:

Does anyone have any experience with cloning NVME drives?  I'd like to replace the 1TB NVME M2 drive I have in with 2 TB version.  I have two slots - ideally, I'd like to pop both in, boot to a USB drive, and somehow clone one to the other.

Husker, place the new NVMe drive into the 2nd slot for and use Acronis True image to clone from the current drive to the seconded empty drive.  If you only have a single NVMe slot, the you will have to use a NVMe enclosure to hold and write to the 2nd NVMe drive so it will receive the image.  Plenty of tutorial on YouTube on Cloning NVMe drives

I personally use CloneZilla which is completely free.

I burn the ISO image to a CD, then boot off the CD to make the images.  Because CloneZilla is Linux based, it doesn't get upset if you've got multiple drives with the same Windows partition on it.

This animated gif is a bit old, but AFAIK the instructions are pretty much the same in the latest version:

Drive Backup:

clonezilla_backup.gif

Restore:

clonezilla_restore.gif

I used Macrium Reflect (free version) when I updated my C Drive. What I needed most was to resize the Recovery Partition (defaulted to 500MB and I was using 495MB of it; I upped that to 1GB during the clone). Your primary partition will also need to be resized to use up the remainder of the new drive. This video walks through every step for that (why it is a little long), including partition changes. The clone was pretty much connecting both drives, do your work, then shutdown and swap the original out.

Edited by mettelus