Cakewalk crashes after exporting audio

seege

Hello,

I am having a problem where cakewalk is crashing right after it exports out an audio file. I am exporting to WAV with the default settings. This problem started suddenly this week without any known changes. I tried updating to the latest Cakewalk version and installing all of the Windows updates and nothing has helped.

Any leads would be appreciated thanks.

CJ

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I was experiencing this exact problem which just suddenly started to happen.I am currently running  2022.11 Update 1 (build 28.11.0.021)

I tried rolling back to 2022.09 but with the same result.Cakewalk crashes to desktop with no message when exporting audio and also when freezing tracks.This was intermittent but very frequent.Got in touch with support and sent crash dumps.Support advised a fresh install of Cakewalk,which i did.Same result,still crashing.Support then advised an uninstall and reinstall fresh c++,which I did.Still crashing.Latest support advice is to start Cakewalk in safe mode and install plug ins one at a time to check for a plug in problem.Anyway I came across this thread with this problem and Noel advising to turn off flushing of plug in buffers in config file.Now I had noticed that the crashes were occuring when flushing was active after mixing down audio had finished.I then went into preferences config file but couldn't find anything that said"Flushing of plugins".After much searching and reading the Cakewlak ref. book i found what i thought Noel was reffering to.Changed the value to 0 and Voila no more crashes!!This is the line in the config file that you need to change to zero if you experience this problem.

"Bounceflushtailsmaxdurationsec=*

Mine was originally on 20 which I changed to zero.Now when freezing a track or exporting Audio no crashing occurs.

Hope this helps anyone with this problem.Thanks Noel for the tip.

Edited by Piper

Hi Noel

Sorry I have not identified which plug-in was the culprit as I just turned off flushing of plug ins as you suggested which cured the problem. I have sent numerous crash dumps to Lois from support that I was getting. After doing as you suggested I am no longer experiencing any crashes when exporting. The crashes were happening on old projects I had previously exported without problems in the past as well. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Kris Sutton

Acecore.dll is part of Microsoft Office, and shouldn't be in your scan path at all.

If you go to Preferences > File > VST Settings, what do you have in your VST Scan Paths box?

It's possible you have the entire Program Files or Program Files (x86) folders listed in there rather than specific VST directories, so it's scanning everything and giving you this problem.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Max Arwood said:

I turned off plug-in flushing. No crashes on export after turning it off. What does this do? What would be the advantage of having it turned on?

You know how you'd be running a reverb or delay or something and you have the tails continue when you press stop? Sometimes when you stop the transport and start it again, you'll get a pop of sound from the previous decay play when the track starts. Pretty annoying when you're doing a bounce down and you have this rogue reverb tail start it off.  Flushing the plugins empties out the buffers so you don't have any random effects tails turning up. Some plugins hate that though, and will crash, so turning it off will stop that from happening. I haven't had the need to turn mine off with the plugins I personally use, and it's saved me HEAPS of time having to redo bounces because of stray left over tails, so I leave mine always on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Kris Sutton said:

The paths containing those dlls should not be in the scan path.

Keep in mind the plug-in scanner recursively goes through every path in the scan path.

For example, if the scan path contains "C:\Program Files" as an entry, every dll in every folder under "C:\Program Files" would be scanned.

Start by adding back the default CbB scan path entries (assuming default install)

• %localappdata%\programs\common\vst3
  • c:\program files\cakewalk\vstplugins
  • c:\program files\common files\vst3

It appears that it is scanning the whole computer, but there are no scan paths assigned. So im not sure how to fix that. Ill try removing everything cakewalk manually as well. Try again.

Update: The installer will not allow me to choose a vst file path, i think that is probably the problem with the software. Im on windows 11, running an amd cpu. Fast computer, pretty new. The default is the entire computer. LOL @reginaldStjohn @Noel Borthwick

Screenshot 2023-01-11 131514.png

Edited by Kris Sutton