Exclude referenced files from "Copy all audio with project"

marcL

In Cakewalk I like that it is possible to import audio files as referenced (out of the project folder). This is great, because I often split the tasks of one song into several lighter projects. I have a central folder for each song where I store the audio files. Like that I have only 1 copy of them and I always reference the newest version of them in all affected projects.

But one thing that annoys me is that I have no possibility to save such a project in a reasonable way (new or in another location). If you are using referenced audio files, then any changes that you make (like Gain changes ...) are stored under the project's audio folder and it is fine like this (i.e. you have a mix of local and referenced files). Saving such a project you have only the possibility to store "all" audio contents under the new project folder or everything is referenced (in the latter variant even new audio content is not stored in the project!).

Sure, there are some work-arounds to get around the problem:

1. If I have a new (not yet saved) project, then I have to save it before making any changes that cause local files. Unfortunately I often miss that 😟 and have to proceed according to #2!
  2. If I have a new (not yet saved) project, then I have to save it with "Copy all audio with project" enabled. Then I have to delete the audio files that were originally referenced. When I open the project again, then I am asked where the missing file(s) is located. I have then to go to the source directory of this/the file(s) and select "reference from current location" (DON'T FORGET THIS as "move to project" is the default, very dangerous IMHO). Then saving the project completes the process.
  3. If I only want to relocate the project as it is, then it is the easiest way not to use Cakewalk, but instead working in Windows Explorer: Copy the folder(s) and files manually.

Because this is very inconvenient, it would be nice if there was another check box in the Save Dialog to leave referenced audio files referenced! (Maybe with a better explaining text, my native language is not English).