Im hoping to use Cakewalk by bandlab for making Live loops on the fly. Reason being is because I don't want to have to buy Ableton to do so. I'm hoping to also upgrade matrix view in order to record an audio or midi loop and add it straight to a matrix cell. So far matrix view works perfectly for samples and prerecorded samples but not so much for instant loops made on a midi controller or a recorded instrument. At the moment is making a live groove clip but sometimes it doesnt sync in well and theres no way to quickly add the groove into a cell without dragging it or going to audio library. Im hoping there can be a feature to record straight into a cell. (Youtube video example below)

I also feel a tempo "link to controller" feature would work pefectly so you can slow down and speed up the song during a live looping session. Matrix view in itself is very underused and underrated with the sheer power you have as a beatmaker. But for the livelooping scene, It still needs a bit more upgrades to make it a Powerhouse. 

You Suck at Producing- Live Looping - YouTube.url

This is an example of what I can see the future of Matrix view do with Cakewalk by bandlab.

Most things are already possible but just the specific live looping portions like: Setting up a live loop to a Cell and also linking it to a Cell with a midi controller isnt there yet, changing the tempo. Also to make Sound over Sound happen you have to press P then activate instead of a simple button to make that happen. (in this video it's called Overdub)

Also another suggestion is having a specific shortcut that allows you to switch tracks which I notice as well is not present in Cakewalk by Bandlab. (There is Add a new track, Duplicate etc.) but no button to switch the track or a shortcut to arm selected track without arming every track. (unless you click on the track which takes time if you are live looping) 

There are many other producers asking for the same features especially the midi controlled tempo  feature. Please let me know as soon as you can thanks. 

New Features Suggested___

Tempo able to be Linked to a Controller
Live loop recording assignable to a cell
Switch Tracks shortcut (Also assignable to a controller)
Arm one Track and Record (At the moment its just Arm all tracks :( )

Please let me know as soon as possible if this could be added to Cakewalk by Bandlab. 

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 3

4 hours ago, Phoenix said:

Let's share this to social media. Maybe we can increase the reach. :) yt fb, Twitter etc. 

This forum is actually the best venue, as the devs pay the most attention to it. The more people who chime in and bump it to the top, the more attention it gets.

Apparently, Matrix View was derived from another Cakewalk product called Project 5, which did have this functionality, so maybe there's existing code that could be dusted off and incorporated.

I'm far from an expert on it, but I think that after the inclusion of a stock sampler, updating Matrix View to allow live recording to cells would be something that could kick Cakewalk into gear for Ableton/FL Studio type live improvisation workflows.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

+1 ! In fact, just to be able to edit more easily midi data within matrix cells would already be cool. Last time I've checked (and I confess it has been a long time since...), I had to replace the cell's content to update to my taste. I hope I have not just overlooked something in the Matrix's workflow that might be already there though...

Edited by Multi-Sonik
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Multi-Sonik said:

+1 ! In fact, just to be able to edit more easily midi data within matrix cells would already be cool. Last time I've checked (and I confess it has been a long time since...), I had to replace the cell's content to update to my taste. I hope I have not just overlooked something in the Matrix's workflow that might be already there though...

Thanks for the upvote. I been trying for hours to find ways to make it work. :) I feel with this upgrade it will be a big game changer. And get more people to the DAW too. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks everyone for checking out this post. Let's take this topic to reddit. If you can send this link everywhere so people can see the idea. I really hope this happens. :)

Edited by Phoenix
  • Great Idea 1

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2023 at 10:25 PM, Starship Krupa said:

Glad to see that you're still championing Matrix upgrades. Persistence is the way.

Thanks for checking back in. I really hope it happens before 2024. 👍🏾 because I feel we will reel in even more users after that. Also more content for the content creators of Cakewalk.  :) 

• 3 weeks later...

Update: they say that Cakewalk is gonna be paid soon...honestly they NEED to add this feature because they could lose alot of people if you have to pay but not have live looping capabilities.