Please put time on an overhaule of midi in trackview.

Kurre

Please put time on a deep overhaule of midiclip editing in trackview.

Working with midiclips in trackview is buggy.

Today is second time, under a short period, that i've been stopped in my work with midiclip editing in the trackview and it went wrong.

First time some clips had moved in the timeline after zooming in or out. Some expanded a beat or two under similar circumstances.

Today i had the absurd situation of copying a clip and using paste special on the same track. Third time after earlier undos. The now time marker was placed at 10:03:00 right at the end of the copied clip. The control bar confirmed the now time. The paste special confirmed the  now time and had the number of copies, 2, and event was checked but automation unchecked. Ok then...

There was only one clip pasted. It did not paste at the now time at 10:03:00 but was located a couple of beats later. 🙀

Probable cause was several deletes and undos, repeating the sequense, on different tracks. It feeled like some other software i used that don't cleaned the buffers in the right way.

Fortunately i don't have anyone expecting a working song so stiff upperlip and all that. 🤨

20 hours ago, Kurre said:

Probable cause was several deletes and undos, repeating the sequense, on different tracks

I suspect a good number of  editing errors like this might be due to corruption of the undo stack. Unfortunately this can make it extremely difficult to reproduce the full sequence of steps to demonstrate the issue and the bakers are unlikely to find the root cause without it. “Overhauling” is not really applicable to software. You either make a targeted fix or you re-write from the ground up which is likely to result in more bugs than it fixes.

@Bill Phillips Why are you bullying me? What did i do to earn this? Am i not allowed to ask for something from the Cakewalk crewe? Is it really you that decide this?

@David Baay I ask the Cakewalk crewe for something and it's up to them, in the future, to do it or don't do it.

Generally, please tag down a bit. It feels like some horror type of neighbourhood watch.

On 11/23/2022 at 10:30 PM, Kurre said:

. The paste special confirmed the  now time and had the number of copies, 2, and event was checked but automation unchecked. Ok then...

There was only one clip pasted. It did not paste at the now time at 10:03:00 but was located a couple of beats later. 🙀

It seems that there is an issue with the "Paste Special". I haven't encountered the issue but you're not the only one having this:

@Kurre,

When I think of the word overhaul I think how I typically use the word.  I think of mechanics that overhaul a car motor.  Mechanics sometimes perform a light overhaul where just certain parts are inspected or replaced.  Other times mechanics completely disassemble a car motor and the motor is restored to better than new condition.  What's common to both a light and complete overhaul is both have task and parts lists that define the scope of work to be performed.

How can the developers

put time on a deep overhaule of midiclip editing in trackview.

without knowing exactly what you want fixed in the overhaul?  What results are you expecting?  Is there anything else beside the incorrect note placement issue you mentioned that needs to be fixed?

Edited by Jim Fogle
  • Like 1