[CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.11 Update 1 Early Access [Updated to Build 21]

Morten Saether

3 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

Something (not Cakewalk) is basically trying to read from a bad memory address somewhere. 

Based on your description the most likely explanation one of the plugins possibly ran out of memory and had poor error handling leading to this crash.

Thank you! What frightens me is that I have 16 GB of RAM and worked with just a couple of plugins that never had an issue before. I will investigate further. If there's a memory leak going on in some plugin, that would be a nightmare!

But I'm glad to hear that it is not CW causing it!

Edited by tulamide

16 hours ago, Glenn Stanton said:

yes, you can watch it happening if you are in track mode and when you select, un-select, mute / un-mute. i think though the states revert when you finish the export or close it

i'll have to try that 🙂 

The worst of it was that it muted the lead tracks and was not supposed to do that. It took a while to figure it out. I still am at a loss of why any tracks were muted. The export template file could have been damaged somehow, I guess.  I did not save a muted set as a template.  I just use the export dialogue to export the whole song. I don't like a bunch of nothing at the end to have to trim later.

14 hours ago, Noel Borthwick said:

A few people had certain projects taking long to load with certain plugins, so we investigated it and found that some plugins can flood the message queue with data when loading.  Since Cakewalk was waiting for all activity to finish at load time, this caused the delay.

I've now also further improved load time on systems with no internet or poor internet speeds. The app should load immediately in such cases in the next build.

Interesting, thanks for the info!

Are there any specific things EA users should keep an eye out, with regards to this fix? Any risks of plugins loading incomplete settings or failure to load? Note, I'm not questioning anything, just showing my incompetence (and gratitude!). 😂

Note that the EA has been updated to build 21 (see link in main post). There are several improvements and fixes including improvements for slow startup when there is no active internet connection. We plan to release this build tomorrow so if you can give it a quick look.

New for Build 28.11.0.021

• Delete All now available in effect bin menus
  • Additional support for quick grouping in FX Chains

Issues Resolved in Build 28.11.0.021:

• Crash when quick group bypassing FX Chains when other effects are in the bin
  • Quick group support for track effect bin Delete command
  • Don't require SHIFT for quick-group recursing FX Chains, if you're invoking from an effect already within ProChannel FX Chain
  • Quick group delete (CTRL+SHIFT) FX Chains across multiple tracks fails to remove the plugin instance in the other track FX chains
  • Quick group replace/delete (CTRL+SHIFT) effect from track effects bin should also affect ProChannel FX chain
  • Improved project load performance
  • Show Clip Stretch amount to 2 decimal places
  • Incorrect plugin menu behavior
  • Quick Group insert FX into ProChannel FX Rack inserts into track bin instead
  • App startup can be slow when running on local network without internet
  • ProChannel can be empty after inserting a new audio track

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

Experiencing daw response as "NOT RESPONDING" on AutoSave operation which I have configured to only after 2 changes.

The save, as I noted, seems to have taken place, but has crashed the application.

I had to close and reopen,

Edited by Milton Sica

12 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

Experiencing daw response as "NOT RESPONDING" on AutoSave operation which I have configured to only after 2 changes.

The save, as I noted, seems to have taken place, but has crashed the application.

I had to close and reopen,

Is it reproducible and new to this build? Capture a hang dump file and send a link.

• Morten Saether changed the title to [CLOSED] Cakewalk 2022.11 Update 1 Early Access [Updated to Build 21]

Colleagues, I'm upset. 

Cakewalk after the update began to crash. It works, and then the program suddenly close. Moreover, when working with ordinary projects, not the most loaded soft synthesizers.

I also noticed a high CPU load (I'm using VST synthesizers) at the time of project playback. And the sound starts to "stutter".
If earlier the audio engine just crashed under load, now the whole program crashes.

By the way, I made the same project with the same plugins in Studio One. The system shows the load on the processor in Cakewalk 1.5-2 times more.

Edited by Asato Maa

35 minutes ago, Asato Maa said:

Colleagues, I'm upset. 

Cakewalk after the update began to crash. It works, and then the program suddenly close. Moreover, when working with ordinary projects, not the most loaded soft synthesizers.

I also noticed a high CPU load (I'm using VST synthesizers) at the time of project playback. And the sound starts to "stutter".
If earlier the audio engine just crashed under load, now the whole program crashes.

By the way, I made the same project with the same plugins in Studio One. The system shows the load on the processor in Cakewalk 1.5-2 times more.

Check the release notes regarding MMCSS settings.  For optimal performance, it's important that BOTH your driver and Cakewalk are running in MMCSS mode.  It should be down to your ASIO driver to set MMCSS mode, but some don't.  Cakewalk can set it on the driver's behalf you have the option checked in preferences, however be aware that some drivers may crash if they've already set it to MMCSS mode and Cakewalk then tries to set it again.

If neither the driver or Cakewalk are running in MMCSS, you'll experience less than optimal performance; if only one is set to MMCSS, then this could explain your crashes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

Check the release notes regarding MMCSS settings.  For optimal performance, it's important that BOTH your driver and Cakewalk are running in MMCSS mode.  It should be down to your ASIO driver to set MMCSS mode, but some don't.  Cakewalk can set it on the driver's behalf you have the option checked in preferences, however be aware that some drivers may crash if they've already set it to MMCSS mode and Cakewalk then tries to set it again.

If neither the driver or Cakewalk are running in MMCSS, you'll experience less than optimal performance; if only one is set to MMCSS, then this could explain your crashes.

I would like to suggest that this MMCSS issue be further explored in the documentation, as I realize that, like me, many other users are experiencing the same difficulty.

37 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This is a screenshot of my system audio settings. The current version of the Cakewalk is 28.11.0.21

1101832053_.png.ab18068443b62f744eca295b9dad6edf.png

• 3 months later...

Project load performance

I am using this latest release on a well specified PC (Win 11 Pro, i9 CPU, 16Gb RAM, SSD etc) and with Cakewalk projects of small size and very modest requirements (e.g only about 200 bars/5 mins long with <10 tracks). The only third-party plug-ins I use are Garritan Personal Orchestra and Spitfire Labs sample libraries. I experience little delay with opening new, fresh projects but a delay seems to grow as I work on projects. Currently my projects take about 30 seconds to startup. This was the case prior to this new version release as well. I was hoping that things would be better in this release but, for me at least, there is no change.

In trying many, many things to help with the issue, including the ideas put forward in these forums, I tried the following.

In 'Edit -> Preferences -> Audio -> Playback and Recording' I unticked 'Use multiprocessing engine' and 'Use MMCSS' and 'Always open all devices'. When I did that my startup time went from 30 seconds to less than 5 seconds. BUT - when I went back and ticked them all back on and rebooted everything the delay DID NOT return - startup was still fast.

I present this to help with diagnosis of what is a continuing problem for some users at least.

Thank you for all the good work on this excellent piece of software.

Edited by LD
(typo)
  • Thanks 1

I am having really bad audio drop out issues not matter how little or how many plugins or files are loaded, found a tutorial in regards to setting latency and other parameters but no change.

Had none of these issue on the previous version I was using. 

Where is the link to roll back as I have work to do and this is frustrating.