Learned something about Kontakt 7

kitekrazy

If I were to do a budget AMD build I'd go for integrated graphics.  

The issue I had with K7 player is a system still using a Geforce 9800GT. I'm sure its over 10 years old.  I've got my money's worth out of it. 

Making GPUs obsolete should be left for game developers.  Too many DAW developers are into the eye candy movement.

3 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Too many DAW developers are into the eye candy movement

Not just that though - there seems to be a new generation of plugins that are GPU powered. Not sure it's the best of ideas as fast GPUs are noisy, which is bad in DAW environments...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, antler said:

If you get one of these, you probably won't need a new case for a while

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7-xl/black-tg-dark-tint/

Haha indeed. Hold on...I think I have one of those. That front looks familiar.

Alright I checked. I think I have one from the same family. No open top or glass side though, but it looks pretty similar otherwise.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, antler said:

Not just that though - there seems to be a new generation of plugins that are GPU powered. Not sure it's the best of ideas as fast GPUs are noisy, which is bad in DAW environments...

I suspect that is true! I have a decent Nvida GTX 1650 installed, and its usage shows up in the Windows Task Manager Performance tab.

When I seem to be running a heavy plugin load, I often glance at Task Manager to see what's happening. At times I notice that my GPU is taking a pretty big slice of the work. But I can imagine that if I was only using my CPU integrated graphics, that my CPU would be taking that hit.

And my Nvidia GPU only has one fan and runs cool and quiet. :)

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, abacab said:

I suspect that is true! I have a decent Nvida GTX 1650 installed, and its usage shows up in the Windows Task Manager Performance tab.

When I seem to be running a heavy plugin load, I often glance at Task Manager to see what's happening. At times I notice that my GPU is taking a pretty big slice of the work. But I can imagine that if I was only using my CPU integrated graphics, that my CPU would be taking that hit.

Ooh - I'd not thought of checking GPU performance. I usually just check the CPU bars in the DAW. I'll remember to take a peek next time :)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

14 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

Also needs a heftier PSU. 

Nothing wrong with a hefty PSU. It will run cool and quiet if it's not fully loaded. Better to have some headroom on the spec. I usually build mine with at least a 600 watt PSU now, regardless of whether I will be adding a GPU.

Here is my CPU and GPU power usage at idle with just a DAW and a web browser open:

Idle Power for CPU and GPU.PNG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, antler said:

If you get one of these, you probably won't need a new case for a while

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7-xl/black-tg-dark-tint/

Love these! I have a passive power supply and all SSDs inside. Integrated Intel GPU. The only thing that moves is a big, slow CPI fan. Virtually silent. Love it, except mine is old enough to NOT have a USBC connector on it.

Edited by fret_man
added GPU.
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, fret_man said:

Love these! I have a passive power supply and all SSDs inside. Integrated Intel GPU. The only thing that moves is a big, slow CPI fan. Virtually silent. Love it, except mine is old enough to NOT have a USBC connector on it.

They are very nice - I love their modularity too.

4 hours ago, abacab said:

Nothing wrong with a hefty PSU. It will run cool and quiet if it's not fully loaded. Better to have some headroom on the spec. I usually build mine with at least a 600 watt PSU now, regardless of whether I will be adding a GPU.

Here is my CPU and GPU power usage at idle with just a DAW and a web browser open:

Idle Power for CPU and GPU.PNG

600W is not even close to hefty.  Newer CPUs are also gluttons.  AMD still makes a 65W CPU.

As developers update their SDKs to move their apps out of the stone age (fix non-resizable GUIs, etc.) and to either not run into Win11 issues or take advantage of its features - the graphic libraries get updated as well. 

And sometimes crap like this happens - it's not the audio developer deep state working in cahoots with GPU developers to force you to upgrade your hardware so that they can get kickbacks.

NI is probably checking it out and weighing their options.
Fix may be relatively easy or involve a major rewrite to use an older graphics engine with their new code or just not do-able because the graphics code may be baked into one or more of the programming libraries they use.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

As developers update their SDKs to move their apps out of the stone age (fix non-resizable GUIs, etc.) and to either not run into Win11 issues or take advantage of its features - the graphic libraries get updated as well. 

And sometimes crap like this happens - it's not the audio developer deep state working in cahoots with GPU developers to force you to upgrade your hardware so that they can get kickbacks.

NI is probably checking it out and weighing their options.
Fix may be relatively easy or involve a major rewrite to use an older graphics engine with their new code or just not do-able because the graphics code may be baked into one or more of the programming libraries they use.

Since 99 % of brands can do it , i clearly see NI using convenient libraries to reach something they didn t managed to do in 20 years : mouse scroll and resize in 2022 ...

Having a pain and fun at the same time using sonicouture electro acoustic , i hope they make their own player one day ...

6 hours ago, TheSteven said:

The easy path would be to stick with an open standard like OpenGL as the default, with intelligent recognition and use of a compatible level of DirectX if available. You shouldn't need to hack your software to revert to OpenGL.

That OpenGL is no longer being actively developed may be the reason (excuse) that certain vendors can only find support for graphics features that they need by using DirectX.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

• Thanks 1