Your Go Too?

Jesse Screed

Hey Jesse,  think I know what you mean.

currently have a cheapo TC Electonics D.I. box (Teleport, normally used  for pushing mic signal through long cable).

Still need to add 10db in Amplitube.

After holidays will try this 19Euro Magnum D.I.    (hope they don't send me a Magnum P.I. )  

It's a copy of the Mooer D.I. (59,-)....maybe it's the same thing just with a different name....

will let you know how it works.

(did try several 'more expensive'  passive D.I.'s incl the Radial with Jensen transformer, Palmer,  but liked the cheap purple Samson passive one the best

Built like a tank and most clean/open sound. The Jensen just made it 'darker' and the Palmer made it a litlle 'smaller' (could be handy if you record left + right guitars)

magnum.jpg

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

My current goto is a Taylor T5z that I got about three years ago. Probably should have bought a Fender Acoustasonic instead, but there's just something about a Taylor...

My only dislike is Position 1 (body sensor) - which is supposed to be the most acoustic-like tone - too much high end and string squeak, and sounds like no acoustic I've ever heard. I really should go back to the store and get it checked. Pos 2 is my favourite on the T5z - covers a lot of genres.

I also have a tiny Yamaha THR5a which is brilliant for practice and also works well with my Yamaha SGL200-N gut string. I quite fancy its bigger brother - the THR30II (complete with wireless connectivity). I might upgrade one of these days, when Mrs AndyB01 isn't looking. 😉

For anything that is not clean or acoustic sounding, I'll either use GR6 or TH-U (not sure which I prefer but TH-U probably just edges it).

Andy

IMG_20221124_154325.jpg

• Like 1

If you ever get the chance, try a Yamaha AC3R or one with the same Electronics.

I think it was the 'focus' switch on the one I owned, then the sound to the computer was just beautiful and very realistic.

Defenitely that sound system (think it was a 'higher priced' Fishman design) was (a Fender Acoustasonic) KILLER, 

NO POINT  in getting a cheaper Fishman version.

that were like buying a Ford Mustang and then choose a 4 cyl diesel engine as it's a little cheaper.

There might be other brands/guitars with that exact Fishman system.

Edited by Sheens

hope can I rant here about Fender Acoustasonic....if anyone owns one, sorry + please do not read.

the guitar, to begin with sounds pretty bad compared to a decent mid-range priced full body guitar.

Cutaways on a aoustic guitars don't make them sound better, and then reducing the inside volume by making it way thinner, makes it sound towards a 90's vst.

Ok, with digital processing and a great sounding reverb it sounds somewhat reasonable...

For far less than half the money you can get a proper sounding guitar AND a great sounding D.I. signal (Yamaha AC3R fe.).

They really hyped the Fender but I'm convinced in 5 years or so they'll be on Ebay for a few hundred.

How I love the build quality of a Fender Tele or Strat, some of their 'high end' products pricing is insane...a ripoff imo....like Suhr, PRS (try order a replacement part for a PRS guitar....wtf ?).

Ok, I'll get me coat..

Edited by Sheens

1 hour ago, Sheens said:

hope can I rant here about Fender Acoustasonic....if anyone owns one, sorry + please do not read.

Rant away by all means - I only mention it because I did try one in the shop and although it can definitely do more in the versatility stakes than the Taylor - well, it didn't have the build quality or the looks to match and there's a lot more under the hood to go wrong. It also didn't have anywhere near as good an unplugged sound as the T5z - sometimes I just noodle away unplugged and I like it to sound half decent at least (although it can never match the sound I used to get from my old 314ce).

Hybrids are always a compromise, but I wanted one instrument that could cover a lot of bases and - for recording - it does exactly that so I've no complaints.

Mrs AndyB01 is also a fan, but only because it (a) has a smaller case than my old acoustic and so takes up less room and (b) has less acoustic projection and so makes less noise when I play it. 😂

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

I love your pedal board.  Right now I am reviving one of these

I got the smaller version of that, the ME 50. Never really got on with it. But I am about to give it a second, (third?) chance and see if I wanna keep it.

image.png.4411f1750812a11d2794fd54b798768c.png

Edited by Grem

53 minutes ago, AndyB01 said:

Rant away by all means - I only mention it because I did try one in the shop and although it can definitely do more in the versatility stakes than the Taylor - well, it didn't have the build quality or the looks to match and there's a lot more under the hood to go wrong. It also didn't have anywhere near as good an unplugged sound as the T5z - sometimes I just noodle away unplugged and I like it to sound half decent at least (although it can never match the sound I used to get from my old 314ce).

Hybrids are always a compromise, but I wanted one instrument that could cover a lot of bases and - for recording - it does exactly that so I've no complaints.

Mrs AndyB01 is also a fan, but only because it (a) has a smaller case than my old acoustic and so takes up less room and (b) has less acoustic projection and so makes less noise when I play it. 😂

never played a Taylor unfortunately, but should as they get  a lot and ONLY positive reviews.

I remember playing around with the Fishman System-63 SRT on the Yamaha, don't recall  what settings (guess all mic/no pieze, all wide and resonant set).

When hearing the recording back it sounded 100% like a real mic'd guitar to me (no acoustic guitar expert).

Edited by Sheens

43 minutes ago, Grem said:

Not in the looks department!! That's a good looking instrument.

Thanks, it is  a beautiful thing for sure - koa top - sometimes it's just enough to gaze at it...

Once you own a Taylor it's hard to look elsewhere tbh, it's like joining a family - the ethics, the passion, the way they look at sustainability - I always have to remind myself how lucky I am to own it. I think it's a keeper.

Andy

Edited by AndyB01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Grem said:

I got the smaller version of that, the ME 50. Never really got on with it. But I am about to give it a second, (third?) chance and see if I wanna keep it.

image.png.4411f1750812a11d2794fd54b798768c.png

Ha!  I had the ME-30 and, for some reason, never used it much either!

BOSS-ME-30-1.jpg\

The GT-6B bass version did get play time however!

bassrig.jpg

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Sheens said:

Hey Jesse,  think I know what you mean.

currently have a cheapo TC Electonics D.I. box (Teleport, normally used  for pushing mic signal through long cable).

Still need to add 10db in Amplitube.

After holidays will try this 19Euro Magnum D.I.    (hope they don't send me a Magnum P.I. )  

It's a copy of the Mooer D.I. (59,-)....maybe it's the same thing just with a different name....

will let you know how it works.

(did try several 'more expensive'  passive D.I.'s incl the Radial with Jensen transformer, Palmer,  but liked the cheap purple Samson passive one the best

Built like a tank and most clean/open sound. The Jensen just made it 'darker' and the Palmer made it a litlle 'smaller' (could be handy if you record left + right guitars)

Thanks Sheen, I would appreciate you sharing your impressions.  I will also look into the Magnum D.I.  It would be nice to get that "sounds just like the real thing," from the sims.

19 hours ago, Grem said:

18 hours ago, craigb said:

The GT-6B bass version did get play time however!

The learning curve is what I'm struggling with, but I watched this video and decided to give it more thought instead of just taking the easier way out.  It's really not that hard to figure out, but the lazy in me just wants that one thing that makes me sound like a guitar god.🤩

Practice and effort are so 1950's.

• Haha 1

I still have this one.  

51890315_10156320769922582_858773389370720256_n.thumb.jpg.af8a77df7f043fc6e7a0dca84101562b.jpg

Call me crazy (you'd have many reasons to, not just this one) but, once in a blue moon, some sounds in there just seem to fit in a mix (it's mostly the Vox I think). I wouldn't say that they are a tenth as true to the original as newer simulations, but in some rare cases, they just seem to work and to sit in a mix perfectly.  For me, anyway. That's reason enough to cling to it as far as I am concerned. 

I actually sold my POD 1 to a friend in 2006 when I started working with software sims a bit more but regretted it a few years later. I grabbed this 2.0 form a guy in NY in 2011. 

• Like 2