Audio freeze to buzz sound

lmu2002

I'm getting occasional nuisance where all audio stops and a loud beep/buzz sound kicks in. Pressing the audio engine button cures the issue but it's frustrating when recording. I can't reproduce it reliably and it happens in all my projects regardless of plugins or settings, but more likely in a 'close to finished', heavily pluginned project. I tried different buffer settings. CPU usage looks normal.

I'm also experiencing some weird and random glitches in playback when recording, a small (200ms maybe) jump which drives recording out of beat. Not nice either.

Has anyone experienced such errors? Any idea where to look for cure?

I've certainly experienced the buzz, but it doesn't happen often enough with me to become an issue. I get this on all of my Focusrite Scarlett interfaces.

Like you, I just stop/start the audio engine.

I have found that a higher buffer size means it happens less often, but I tend to use a low buffer size when tracking at least.

One thing I have noticed though... I was experimenting with ASIOLink so I could use my mLAN hardware at the same time as my Focusrite. When set to using the ASIOLink driver, I never experienced the buzz once. Setting up the ASIOLink config is a PITA though, and there's next to no docs and no support (unfortunately the original developer passed away).

It does suggest however that ASIOLink's drivers behave better with Cakewalk than the Focusrite drivers.

As far as random glitches... funny you should mention this, as I was experiencing this yesterday. Turned out I'd set my recording depth to 96/24 and my buffer size to 16. It appeared to work (in that I wasn't getting the usual pops & crackles associated with too small a buffer), but timing was off in places. Setting it back to my default of 44.1/24 and a buffer of 64, solved it.

Check your ASIO buffer size is at a sensible level. Increasing the buffer size may help. You can always use the PDC override button if latency starts to become a problem when tracking.