DDD Oh My Goodness!!!

jesse g

The Dang Daw Died.

My hard drive crashed on my studio computer last night and I was having a heart attack.  Yes, I do back up once a week, but it's just the idea of the Dang Daw Dying.

I was going to try to use the same 2 TB SSD drive again, but I think I will buy a new one and start over.  I am not reloading any junk software stuff on this one and I am limiting the amount of software installed on it as well.  

• Reinstalling my Waves Plugins
  • Reinstalling my Plugin Alliance plugins
  • Reinstalling my Native Instruments Komplete 13U
  • I have to reinstall my Cakewalk  (Rapture, Dimensions Pro, Z3TA+2, Rapture Pro,  Session Drummer 2,  as well s the other Cakewalk stuff.)

What have you folks done when it came to a crashed drive? 

Hi, and sorry to hear that the HD died.

I do a backup, using a backup program (can't remember which I have on my DAW ATM. I just checked, and t is Ashampoo Backup Pro 12) whenever I make any significant changes (update/grade DAW, multiple plugins install etc.), and do a restauration/installation from the last disc image.

Some plugins have to be reactivated though, (but that is one of the reasons I like iLok) and can be a bit painful depending on company.

Have you checked out the new NI Access? I think it is better than the previous one, which was good as well.

Best of luck.

Edited by Zargg
To add
  • Thanks 1

If S.L.I.P. had authored this thread, the content would have been much different! 😆

e2eec25757f814fe073a1397a693f5d4.jpg

"Hello, may I help you restore your files?"  😜

Ok, ok... To be more helpful.  You could always make a clone of your SSD and, should it die, you would only need to swap 'em!

• Like 1

I have Ni Access 3.0.1  and all of my files were backed up to an external 4 TB  hared drive using AOMEI Backupper software.

I don't want to dump any bad files onto the new 2T B SSD, that is why I want to perform a clean install, because we all collect freebies.    I want to get rid of the older unused software I once installed.    I just wanted to know how others started over from a crash.

AOMEI Backupper

The free version is what I uses and it's rather good.

On 12/2/2021 at 3:39 PM, craigb said:

Just to tout Backblaze again...  You can get unlimited storage AND unlimited versions AND it's kept indefinitely.  I'm currently paying the Princely sum of $9/month for all of this.

Oh, and did I mention that they will use ALL the bandwidth you have available?  I believe I did.  That means almost 1.5 GB every three seconds with Backblaze (we have 500 Mbps currently), yet Carbonite maxes out at 1.5 GB every HOUR!

Advantages over keeping a local copy (which is also a good idea to do ALSO, not instead of):  It's in the Cloud, redundantly stored and backed up, accessible from anywhere that you have Internet access.  It doesn't become useless should anything happen to your physical drives (theft, flood, fire, failure, etc.).  Just sayin'... 😉

Here's that link again that gets us both a free month should you want to check them out! https://secure.backblaze.com/r/02xo4h 

As I've said a few times before.  Love this software!  (Heck, I'm even a share-holder now; got in on their IPO.)

5 hours ago, Jeremy Oakes said:

I also use AOEMI Backupper, but all my HDD’s are cloned at least once a month. For a 4Tb drive it takes about 5 hours, overnight.

J

Thanks Jeremy,

I love the software,  but I am glad I didn't clone this drive, it was a mess.  I will clone the next drive, however, onto my 4T SSD.

Thanks

13 hours ago, jesse g said:

I have Ni Access 3.0.1  and all of my files were backed up to an external 4 TB  hared drive using AOMEI Backupper software.

I don't want to dump any bad files onto the new 2T B SSD, that is why I want to perform a clean install, because we all collect freebies.    I want to get rid of the older unused software I once installed.    I just wanted to know how others started over from a crash.

AOMEI Backupper

The free version is what I uses and it's rather good.

I'd then just get Rufus, and download a disc image of Win 10 Pro, and do a clean install.

And the only install the minimum, until you miss something.

That is how I did it on my last pc build. I had to add quite a few things quite quickly that I had forgotten were often used though.

Best of luck.