Plugin Guru Unify $59 on Black Friday (rare)

lawajava

1 hour ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

I really enjoy Unify. In many cases it's replaced Kontakt.

On the upside, that doesn't need to be an either/or situation with Kontakt and Unify.

I have the "Unified" version of NI Noire (Kontakt library) installed in Unify. So I can load any Noire preset as a layer in Unify, without having to launch the Kontakt interface (although Kontakt is running in the background and I can open its UI to tweak something in Kontakt if I want to).

Much less screen clutter, and quicker to load & audition Kontakt presets straight from the Unify patch browser. Any Kontakt preset can be saved as a Unify preset.

• Great Idea 1

1 hour ago, abacab said:

On the upside, that doesn't need to be an either/or situation with Kontakt and Unify.

I have the "Unified" version of NI Noire (Kontakt library) installed in Unify. So I can load any Noire preset as a layer in Unify, without having to launch the Kontakt interface (although Kontakt is running in the background and I can open its UI to tweak something in Kontakt if I want to).

Much less screen clutter, and quicker to load & audition Kontakt presets straight from the Unify patch browser. Any Kontakt preset can be saved as a Unify preset.

For me it has since many libraries are leaving the Kontakt eco system. I rarely need it to load it up even using Unify these days..

55 minutes ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

For me it has since many libraries are leaving the Kontakt eco system. I rarely need it to load it up even using Unify these days..

I suppose it's all a matter of personal preference, and/or what libraries you use. Some folks say that they want to use Kontakt exclusively, others don't want anything to do with it. I'm somewhere in the middle. My preference is to use synths rather than sample libraries if I can, but for real instruments samples are a necessary evil.

If I like a library, it usually doesn't matter to me what player it uses. Except for UVI... Cannot stand their player! 🙄

Edited by abacab

Regarding discount. I was going to buy it at jrrshop...FORUM coupon works, for me was-$5 but I never used jrrshop before..looks like they do everything through PayPal only? Anyway, changed my mind and bought it at audiodeluxe.com and glad I did. They automatically added coupon HOLIDAY22 (-$6.02) minus my previous DeluxeBucks and added free software on top, FREE MeldaProduction MTransient, which I probably will never use:) but still gives some moral encouragement that I did the right thing:) Ow, and I earned DeluxeBucks again:)

3 hours ago, valhill said:

Regarding discount. I was going to buy it at jrrshop...FORUM coupon works, for me was-$5 but I never used jrrshop before..looks like they do everything through PayPal only? Anyway, changed my mind and bought it at audiodeluxe.com and glad I did. They automatically added coupon HOLIDAY22 (-$6.02) minus my previous DeluxeBucks and added free software on top, FREE MeldaProduction MTransient, which I probably will never use:) but still gives some moral encouragement that I did the right thing:) Ow, and I earned DeluxeBucks again:)

The GROUP code gives you an almost 10 buck discount

Even if you don't score an extra discount, I think Skippy and Shane would appreciate the direct purchase.  I bought Unify on release and have watched a bunch of Skippy's YT videos.  I feel that they are both genuine "good guys" and worthy of support.   Considering it has been .. two years? since release, Shane keeps packing features into Unify, now at version 1.9.  I thought they would have gone to version 2 a year ago to get some upgrade $.  Anyway- all the updates have been free to 1.0 buyers. 👍

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

Even if you don't score an extra discount, I think Skippy and Shane would appreciate the direct purchase.  I bought Unify on release and have watched a bunch of Skippy's YT videos.  I feel that they are both genuine "good guys" and worthy of support.   Considering it has been .. two years? since release, Shane keeps packing features into Unify, now at version 1.9.  I thought they would have gone to version 2 a year ago to get some upgrade $.  Anyway- all the updates have been free to 1.0 buyers. 👍

I would list Unify at the top for developers who continually add features and improvements at no additional charge to the user. Next up would be the developer of Scaler.

Both very useful products that keep getting better! There may be others, but with the relatively low cost of entry combined with very active support, these get my best buy rating! :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Unify reigns supreme in my book. What John “SkipPy” Lehmkuhl and Dr. Dunne are doing is pretty amazing. And free updates!

That's a dangerous combination! Skippy has decades of professional sound design experience, including with KORG,  that speaks for itself. Dr. Dunne is a PhD in computer science with a number of patents to his name. https://getdunne.com/

When Skippy asks if there is a way to do something new, Dr. Dunne usually makes it happen! We benefit as users of Unify to some groundbreaking new music technology! :)

• Like 3

Been playing around with Unify after purchase …

On Mac, I’ve been deleting AUv3 and VST plugins, leaving only VST3 in place.  On Windows, I’ve been only installing VST3.  The unified libraries expect VST (for the most part).  Is there a way to change the library patches to use VST3 instead of VST?  Otherwise, I’ll have to reinstall the VST plugins.

3 hours ago, ALC said:

Been playing around with Unify after purchase …

On Mac, I’ve been deleting AUv3 and VST plugins, leaving only VST3 in place.  On Windows, I’ve been only installing VST3.  The unified libraries expect VST (for the most part).  Is there a way to change the library patches to use VST3 instead of VST?  Otherwise, I’ll have to reinstall the VST plugins.

Probably best to ask for this advice in the Unify user forum for the best answer! https://forums.pluginguru.com/

The default with the Unify approach is to use ONLY the VST2 plugins, unless VST3 is the only option for a specific plugin that is used. For example, the plugin operations command "remove redundant plugins" deletes all VST3 plugins that have duplicates in VST2 format.

That's just how they roll by design. They felt that VST2 was less problematic for them to support in general as a plugin host. They are a small team: 1 sound designer and 1 programmer. :)

Here's a comment by Dr. Dunne on one of the Unify Forum threads: "We prefer VST2 over VST3, when available, because VST2 patch data tend to be smaller, and more compatible cross-platform (Mac/Windows)".

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1