Sonitus Plugins stop working?

Sal Sorice

This is very strange. I've been working through some great Cakewalk/Sonar tutorials from groove3.com. Many of the tutorials utilize Sonitus plugins as examples. I've been happily following along when suddenly my Sonitus plugins got 'lost'. When I try to load one (happens with Reverb, Gate, EQ, etc.) after closing/opening Cakewalk I get this error:

image.png.091cb8a89e69df0db3f6ae6af5928491.png

What's even MORE strange...

I decided to do an image restore (I use Macrium Reflect) to a known good working instance of Cakewalk. I restored to November 18, 2022.
Fired up Cakewalk. Opened a blank project. Inserted an Audio Track. Then loaded up all the plugins - and they loaded fine.
Closed/reopened Cakewalk and loaded several again - no issues.

Since all looked well, I installed an update to my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. That is the ONLY thing I did. It requested a reboot.

Rebooted.

Same problem!

Any idea why Cakewalk can't find ('patch') the plugins? I can't understand how things could work fine, then fail after a reboot. I have Windows update turned off, so no Windows updates got installed upon reboot.

Running latest Cakewalk build (2022.11 Build 013, 64 bit).

PC info:
Win10 Pro 64-bit; i9 @ 3.60GHz; 128GB RAM; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6; 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe; Intel UHD Graphics 630; Realtek  2.5GbE Controller

Sigh... Getting worse. Also noticed that ProChannel has gone missing as well. When you open it all you get is a blank panel. This happened once before and ended up having to do a clean install of Cakewalk (per https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360034066393-Clean-Install-Cakewalk-by-BandLab). Note that this reinstall was only done because of the blank ProChannel issue, not the Sonitus issue as mentioned above. Perhaps they are related?

image.thumb.png.18ac5e57d3c22a9f80c45ee13d43a7c5.png

This is getting frustrating. I'd rather be making music...  :^(

hmmmm. do you have a lot of software installations going on as well? i've found something my runtime get out of sync (even when they're supposed to be the same and backwards compatible) because of other products. so, once i done updates on my software (MS, audio and drafting products etc), i re-run the CbB runtimes and my Sketchup runtimes, then install the CbB and SU updates. generally they are then stable against interference from other products. sometimes renaming the cakewalk.ini to .old also helps in case an update needs new entries and somehow they didn't mesh correctly...

Thanks all for the comments.  I'm an IT Consultant during the day, so the virus/disk suggestions are appreciated but I'm well versed on the OS side - Cakewalk / Audio Interfaces, etc. - not so much :^)

What is strange - at least to me - is that what seems to trigger the Sonitus errors and the vanishing ProChannel pane is updating my Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 Control software from 3.6.0.1822 to 3.10.0.1981. After updating and rebooting, the problems appear. Not sure if/how it could have anything to do with the Focusrite device - it's just an audio interface.

Any ideas? I'm going to leave Focusrite on the 3.6 software for now,  but can't understand how that could relate to / cause the bizarre problems.

4 minutes ago, Sal Sorice said:

Any ideas? I'm going to leave Focusrite on the 3.6 software for now,  but can't understand how that could relate to / cause the bizarre problems.

My guess would be it uncritically installs an older version of, say, an MFC library which break various bits of CbB.  I think @Noel Borthwick has posted a thread somewhere here about hot to get/download/install the correct/latest versions.

Thanks again for all the suggestions - this forum is the best! :^)

I'll revisit tomorrow and see if Noel's runtime library fix might help,

Will likely try the Focusrite update, see if it breaks things again, then run Noel's runtime library fix to see if that works.

On the bright side - at least I know my Macrium backups are working great...

• Great Idea 1

The obvious first step is to verify that the files are indeed present, e.g. c:\program files\cakewalk\shared plugins\sonitus*.dll.

Then run a scan with the scan log enabled. Open the log (%appdata%\cakewalk\logs\vstscan.log) in Notepad and search for any of the missing plugins' names. If they could not be instantiated due to a missing C++ library, there should be an entry to that effect in the log. You'll probably also get a messagebox during the scan.

The Sonitus DLL files are present at c:\program files\cakewalk\shared plugins\, both before and after the problem (ie, the files are there when all is working after a Macrium restore and they are there as well after the Focusrite update that seems to break things). 

bitflipper, I'll break things again tomorrow by installing the Focusrite update, then run a VST scan with logging turned on and see what that reveals. I'll post my results. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks charles kasler and everyone else for your comments. I can confirm I had the same issue as Charles.

Steps taken:
> Made a full image of my system using Macrium Reflect
> Installed Focusrite Control version 3.10.0.1981 (upgraded from 3.6.0.1822)
> Rebooted
> Sonitus plugin issue happened again and ProChannel became blank again (see above comments)
> Ran the Runtime Library fix posted by Noel here:
https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/34829-how-to-repair-a-cakewalk-installation-with-missing-or-damaged-microsoft-redistributables/
> No help :^(
> Restored my Macrium image and all is well again.

Going to forgo the Focusrite update as I was not having any issues with my 8i6 anyway.

I'll send Focusrite a link to this Topic. Not sure if they'll do anything though.

If anyone else has a suggestion as to who should get notified about this, let me know. Not sure if I should submit a problem report to CbB, as it seems to be a Focusrite issue.

Hope this helps other Focusrite users - there seem to be a lot of us.