[SOLVED] CbB freezing/hanging as soon as I open *and then close* Kontakt's GUI...

So I'm having this issue on my new Windows 10 system (didn't happen on Windows 7) where CbB becomes unresponsive freezes/hangs/fades to white as soon as I open and then close Kontakt's GUI. Merely adding Kontakt (5.8.1) to the synth rack and then opening it's GUI doesn't cause the freeze and I can even click Kontakt's keyboard and play sounds and can even trigger those sounds from CbB's piano roll so long as the GUI is open (or even minimized or put in the Multi Dock) -- but as soon as I click to close Kontakt's GUI it will close, but then CbB becomes unresponsive to my clicking and soon fades to that see-through white and says "Not Responding" up there. If I have Kontakt up in the Multi Dock everything seems fine until I try to close it from the Multi Dock by clicking it's X and then it doesn't respond and won't close out of the Multi Dock and then CbB soon says "Not Responding." I'm then able to close CbB via the "Not Responding" popup w/o killing it in Task Manager, and thereafter a brief popup says, "Hang on while Windows reports the problem to Microsoft." I can then reopen CbB and recreate this problem every time, either w/ a brand new clean project or an existing one. And it doesn't matter if the Kontakt instance has nothing loaded in it when I open it, or if I open an instance w/ preloaded instruments; just merely closing the Kontakt GUI once it's been opened causes the freeze in CbB.

And it seems to only be Kontakt doing this, as I loaded Massive, FM8, Reaktor and Dimension Pro as well as Kontakt into the synth rack just to test and all opened/closed fine w/ no problems, but as soon as I opened, and then closed Kontakt's GUI the unresponsiveness in CbB occurs. This didn't just start today, but has been the case ever since upgrading to Windows 10; I just now narrowed it down because Kontakt behaves normally until I go to close the GUI and since I don't always close it it just took a while to suss out. Anyone know what that's all about?

Edited by Christian Jones
Solved

So I found a fix for this online by someone who had this same problem in FL Studio and this fixed worked for me in Cakewalk, so here's the link in case anyone ever experiences this problem in Cakewalk - read the post by MogwaiBoy:

https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/comments/3xp04l/fl_studio_12_keeps_crashing_whenever_i_deal_with/

When I unchecked "Show network drives" Kontakt froze and turned my cursor to the hourglass for I don't know how long - I waited a couple of minutes and then went and took a shower and came back about 45 minutes later. So if anyone has this problem, where you uncheck that box and get the hourglass that seems to go on forever just leave it until it finally clears. I was then able to uncheck the rest (though one was already unchecked) and now Kontakt is able to open/close w/o freezing Cakewalk. 

Edited by Christian Jones
  • Thanks 1

Thought I'd post the fix here real quick in case that link ever dies:

"Try this: - Open Kontakt inside [your daw] - Make the 'Browse' sidebar visible - Click the 'Files' tab in the browser sidebar - Click the 'View' dropdown menu in the Files tab - Uncheck (turn off) "show network drives" - Uncheck (turn off) "show removable drives" - Uncheck (turn off) "show foreign formats" - Close Kontakt, restart [your daw] + Kontakt"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No problem, been seeking (and finding) a lot of help here lately so trying to give back where/when I can.

I should say for anyone who does get this problem and if for some reason you can't get Kontakt to unfreeze after trying to uncheck those selections, you can open Kontakt in standalone and uncheck them there, as for me Kontakt works fine in standalone and you can probably just get this fix done quicker that way anyway.

7 hours ago, Tezza said:

Thanks mate, excellent post, I'm still on Win 7 but looking to move to Win 10, with Komplete Ultimate 10, the performance of NI stuff under Win 10 is a priority for me.

Cool. My Komplete 10 is working great now under Windows 10; Kontakt was the only problem and that problem occurred immediately after the Windows 10 upgrade (didn't have that problem on Windows 7) and that fix cleared it up immediately. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

@Christian Jones 
I made an account on this forum just to thank you. I don't even use Cakewalk, but I've had the same problem as you in both Reaper and FL studio for a couple of months now, and I couldn't find the solution anywhere. I was really starting to get desperate, but you saved me with your solution - as soon as I disabled 'view network drives', Kontakt doesn't freeze or lag when I close its GUI. Massive thanks! 

• Like 1