Sylenth1 - 25% off for BF from 24th

Paul_in_wales

Only five days of offer a year and ensima only 25% for a synthesizer that is still very little updated and not even interested in promoting themselves, they think they are master and lord among plugins like "serum" that do not get off the horse in prices or sticks, obviously wrong company policy that refuse to look at how well they do the competition with respect to updates and annual offers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JT music said:

Only five days of offer a year and ensima only 25% for a synthesizer that is still very little updated and not even interested in promoting themselves, they think they are master and lord among plugins like "serum" that do not get off the horse in prices or sticks, obviously wrong company policy that refuse to look at how well they do the competition with respect to updates and annual offers.

Kinda like that Vahalla dude.  They are small developers. What did you expect?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

Rumor had it he wasn't going Vst3.   Serum came out with Vst3 this month as well.

If they're barely going to discount, then they should probably be at the forefront of updates and innovation.

In comparison to some of the others mentioned in the thread, Valhalla doesn't discount, but there are very regular updates and he releases new features for free.

Fuse is a small developer and has a sale of 78%+ for his plugins making them all $14.90 right now.

Massive is the same vintage and it's been in bundles for under $49.

I see no real reason to pay Sylenth's asking price even at 25% when there have been a heap of more innovative and feature rich synths made since.

I would say it's a competent synth and I do like the sound though 🙂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MusicMan said:

If they're barely going to discount, then they should probably be at the forefront of updates and innovation.

In comparison to some of the others mentioned in the thread, Valhalla doesn't discount, but there are very regular updates and he releases new features for free.

Fuse is a small developer and has a sale of 78%+ for his plugins making them all $14.90 right now.

Massive is the same vintage and it's been in bundles for under $49.

I see no real reason to pay Sylenth's asking price even at 25% when there have been a heap of more innovative and feature rich synths made since.

I would say it's a competent synth and I do like the sound though 🙂

What constitutes enough updates?  Should I look at my archives to find out? 

I doubt Sylenth is really his full-time job.   He only makes one product and it is popular among pro producers. You could make the same argument for Spire and Xfer products.   

7 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

What constitutes enough updates?  Should I look at my archives to find out? 

I doubt Sylenth is really his full-time job.   He only makes one product and it is popular among pro producers. You could make the same argument for Spire and Xfer products.   

I'd say having updated to VST3 14 years after it was released might be a step in the right direction 🤣

That is interesting about it not being his fulltime job. I don't know a lot about him, so that could be possibly be true.

As for Spire, currently on their site, it's $99.00 and the list is $189.00. But I'm pretty sure Loot Audio had it for around $60/$70 the other day. So there's a big difference in discounting and price.

Serum isn't cheap and he's said from the start, he doesn't believe in discounting. But he has released VST3 and there's talk of Serum 2. Not sure if that will be a free update, or paid, but there are pretty frequent updates with Serum.

But it's not about finding others that aren't great in those regards, for me I'm comparing it to other developers that are competitive on pricing and actively develop and innovate, of which there are many.

If a company is either a lot more expensive (on street prices, not overly inflated RRPs) and barely discounts, then I expect more from them. I'm looking (and more importantly listening to how they sound) for why I would spend more money on them over the competitors. That's why I don't own Sylenth pure and simple. It lives off legacy and they haven't been competitive on pricing. They were a big fish in a small pond once, but now there are just too many great options available and they've been overtaken by equally as good and well priced options. We really are spoilt for choice these days 🙂

6 hours ago, MusicMan said:

So ... you're saying your ears like the sound but that's not good enough?   
Lol - 1/2 joking though it does remind me of the guitar player saying his pedal sounds better because it has more knobs.

Sylenth has a warmth/presence/pizzaz that I find missing in so many synths.  
To me that was enough for me to buy it when I did and enough to still be a favorite.

Edited by TheSteven

16 minutes ago, MusicMan said:

I'd say having updated to VST3 14 years after it was released might be a step in the right direction 🤣

Sorry I don't buy that at all.
If Steinberg weren't such @sshats about the VST3 rollout; if VST3 wasn't the buggy wonder it is; etc.  then I'd say you had a valid argument.
Many devs have resisted implementing it (or still refuse to) because they resent(ed) being strong armed into adopting it. 

8 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

So ... you're saying your ears like the sound but that's not good enough?   
Lol - 1/2 joking though it does remind me of the guitar player saying his pedal sounds better because it has more knobs.

Sylenth has a warmth/presence/pizzaz that I find missing in so many synths.  

Haha... My ears like the sound of lots of great synths, that have all of the pros that I mentioned and Sylenth only ticks one of them 🤣

I do think Sylenth sounds nice, but there are quite a few great warm sounding synths, some old, some new. u-he, Cherry Audio, Spire, Largo, but heaps more as well, those ones just came to mind in the 5 seconds I spent thinking about warm sounds and I'm sure I have better examples than them 🙃

2 minutes ago, TheSteven said:

Sorry I don't buy that at all.
If Steinberg weren't such @sshats about the VST3 rollout; if VST3 wasn't the buggy wonder it is; etc.  then I'd say you had a valid argument.
Many devs have resisted implementing it (or still refuse to) because they resent(ed) being strong armed into adopting it. 

Ease up turbo, I was still replying to your first message 🤣

I'm not saying that Steinberg is right in VST3, I'm saying once they announced it, it didn't take too much (/any!) foresight to see that it was going to mean VST2 being deprecated, like where we're at now. There's resisting I get, but to look after the best interests of your customers, not updating by now is pretty lack lustre and those resisting now are in the minority and are losing sales because of it. So that mentality isn't customer friendly and doesn't make business sense. Not much going for it really.

And yet people expect developers to update for every Apple OS release that breaks stuff, so 14 years to not move to the current spec of VST3 isn't much to ask for. The bar is low... real low!