No deal - best organic synths

Fleer

With all these synth sales popping up, I’m wondering more then ever if I’m missing out on some unknown fun. I don’t like EDM, trap, trance, psytrance or dance music in general, so I’m going for what I would call ‘organic’ synths. 
Such are the ones I have and love: Omnisphere, Falcon, Pigments, PhasePlant, V Collection, Moog and Korg collections, Applied Acoustics, Novum, Abyss, Massive, MSoundFactory, both SynthMasters, and I don’t want to forget Forbidden Planet. 
I’m not mentioning U-he, though I do like Diva and I want to get Zebra 3 when it arrives, but I’m not too much into ‘knobby’ vst synths. I prefer my GUIs sweet, moving and tasty.

What am I missing? Anything from Synapse Audio like Dune 3? Or from Softube? Or Cherry Audio? Heck, I’m happy with the Arturia emulations, don’t need more of those. 
Anyway, let’s call the ones I love ‘organic’. Lots of plucks, strings, voices and the like. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fleer said:

Such are the ones I have and love: Omnisphere, Falcon, Pigments, PhasePlant, V Collection, Moog and Korg collections, Applied Acoustics, Novum, Abyss, Massive, MSoundFactory, both SynthMasters, and I don’t want to forget Forbidden Planet. 

Is that it?!?!? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hyperion by Wavesequencer is pretty interesting.  Sold by Tracktion- I think on sale for $65 ATM.  Generous trial from them as you are familiar.  Modular GUI that I like.  Maybe not a pluck machine, but you can get some interesting motion pads, etc.  Developer has a Discord channel and is very active there.  Still updating and adding features.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Brian Lawler said:

Hyperion by Wavesequencer is pretty interesting.  Sold by Tracktion- I think on sale for $65 ATM.  Generous trial from them as you are familiar.  Modular GUI that I like.  Maybe not a pluck machine, but you can get some interesting motion pads, etc.  Developer has a Discord channel and is very active there.  Still updating and adding features.

Yeah, you’re absolutely right. Dang, forgot I’ve got that one too. And another one from Tracktion, Chop Suey, a pretty amazing bass synth.
And their F.’em of course, crazy FM synth. 

• Like 1

Oh boy, this is kind of my thing... You're missing a lot of the best ones.

Expressive E Imagine
Madrona Labs Kaivo and Aalto
Rhizomatic Plasmonic
TAQS.IM Solo
FXpansion and ROLI stuff
XILS PolyKB, PolyM, KaoX (yeah yeah, more emulations, but these are INCREDIBLE)

• Like 1

You probably want to take a look at Biotek 2

I'd add to the list some AAS synths and at least one of the "vacuum tube virtual analogs", either AIR Vacuum Pro or Knifonium.

You mentioned that you already have enough emulations of vintage synths but, if there is a little slack still left, I'd agree with the people that have suggested adding a collection of Xils Labs' synths (there's a pretty good deal right now with the "create your own bundle" options at dontcrack.com. It's at the top of my BF list, getting a few I don't yet have)

• Like 2

Thanks guys!

I forgot to specify (or make more explicit) that I’m not into synths “with too many knobs”, though I know this sounds a bit awkward. I do love knobs, but preferably in hardware synths (like my trusted Sequential). So, for ITB synths, I’m rather drawn to original GUIs. But sound is most important, evidently. 

1 hour ago, Jan Schmitz said:

Every new synth is essentially just a preset pack!

That's a very astute observation. Must soft synth collectors are hard core preset addicts! ;)

Not that there's anything wrong with learning synthesis, but for me presets are useful for inspiration! It's time saving to find a sound close to what I want and then tweak it, rather than re-inventing the wheel!

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Fleer said:

so I’m going for what I would call ‘organic’ synths

Define "organic synth". ;)

Are you referring to the sound characteristics, or the GUI and workflow? I looked at your list and it covers quite a broad range of what I would consider to be diverse synth categories.

Regarding synth sounds, in my mind "organic" would most likely be a hybrid of synthesis and samples, ideally with those samples taken from real-world environment "found" sounds. Examples like Iris and Biotek come to mind. Secondly, I would consider anything that created atmospheric or cinematic soundscapes, that evoke an "organic" emotional response.

Your comments about Abyss and Novum would also imply a preference for an "organic" workspace, and these would also meet the sound characteristics that are implied by the same. But many of the other synths in your preference list do not seemingly have an "organic" workspace. Maybe I'm being too analytical here, LOL! 🤣

Definitely not judging here, as I'm sincerely curious. I have over 100 soft synths myself, with some preferences of mine having changed over the years. Unfortunately I like most of them...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1