Very nice and accurate cover.  Good work with the vocals and the string section seems to be spot on based on my memory of the song.  I was not aware of the background so I found that informative.

Two complaints:

(1) the track begins with a click.  My guess is this is due to the lack of silence leading into the start of the audio track.  Some players purge their buffer before starting playback and will pop or click if audio begins before the buffer finishes being purged.

(2) The overall track volume level is high relative to other audio I listen to.  I don't know how close to 0db full scale you were shooting for but it sounded pretty close.

Having said all that, you should be pleased with the track as it's a job well done!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Fogle said:

Very nice and accurate cover.  Good work with the vocals and the string section seems to be spot on based on my memory of the song.  I was not aware of the background so I found that informative.

Two complaints:

(1) the track begins with a click.  My guess is this is due to the lack of silence leading into the start of the audio track.  Some players purge their buffer before starting playback and will pop or click if audio begins before the buffer finishes being purged.

(2) The overall track volume level is high relative to other audio I listen to.  I don't know how close to 0db full scale you were shooting for but it sounded pretty close.

Having said all that, you should be pleased with the track as it's a job well done!

Darn it you are right about that click.  I was going to have someone else do the harmonies and had a count in for her.  I’ll fix that.  I think I was at 12 LUFS, but I’ll check that too.  Thanks for keeping me honest.

• Like 1

Good job Steve (and an interesting back story). I thought it was a hair too fast on first listen, so I went back to listen to the original. On reflection - no - I think you have the tempo spot on.

One minor crit - the fade on the final note is just a touch abrupt to my ears, if that note could be  held or sustained for a moment more...? Not easy with staccato string parts - I do get that.

Brilliant work overall though, as always.

Andy

• Like 1

19 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Steve , Very Nice ..  I always wanted to cover this one , mainly for the cello parts.  I Really enjoyed reading the backstory about the song .            Thanks for that.     I  thoroughly enjoyed the cover .                           Great job ..  mark

Thanks Mark!

8 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

Good job Steve (and an interesting back story). I thought it was a hair too fast on first listen, so I went back to listen to the original. On reflection - no - I think you have the tempo spot on.

One minor crit - the fade on the final note is just a touch abrupt to my ears, if that note could be  held or sustained for a moment more...? Not easy with staccato string parts - I do get that.

Brilliant work overall though, as always.

Andy

Thanks Andy - I have another version coming and I will lengthen the ending a little.  As far as the speed, I use a tempo map from the original usually when I do a cover in order to get the speed accurate.

Luckily, there are low octave notes I can use to control the way notes are played.  I can sustain those ending notes longer by using that to switch from staccato.

Steve

Update - I got rid of that click at the beginning and lengthened the end.  I don't know whether it is cached in your system since you already played it or whether you will hear the change without clearing your browser cache.  Thanks again for noticing those things!

Edited by steve@baselines.com
Update of version
  • Like 1