WURLI LIBRARY SHOOTOUT -- ALL LESS THAN $35 USD each ​​​​​​​ - VOTE FOR THE BEST

PavlovsCat

Wurli Sample Library Shootout  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Which Wurli library do you think sounds best? Listen to the linked SoundCloud file below and pay close attention to the dynamics. First, you'll hear each Wurli in the context of a full band, then you'll hear them by themselves. The same MIDI file was used for each time through.

• Wurli library (1) one / uno
    • Wurli library (2) two / dos
    • Wurli library (3) three / tres

5 minutes ago, Bad Penguin said:

WOW! BF pricing ($35) is much better than intro pricing!!!

Skybox H&W EP 145B BF pricing = $35

I don't own anything from that dev, but all of their demos sound excellent. Great price! Their Wurly (200A) is part of a library on sale for $58 USD. 

https://www.skyboxaudio.com/products/hammers-waves-electric-1

Edited by PavlovsCat

However,  Bad Penguin may have given me a way to rationalize buying a third Wurly library in several weeks,  the Skybox one for $35 USD is  the Wurlitzer 145B, which had different key actions and a tube amp, so it sounds different from the 200A, but still great. I think Ray Charles actually used a 140  or a 112 on "What'd I Say." 

@Bad Penguin. did you buy it? If so, I'd love your thoughts-- or anyone else's  who has it -- after using it. It does sound great,  like every demo for every library I've heard from that new developer. 

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

Yes, I insta-purchased. Own everything Skybox.

I am not capable of giving a review other than a simple "I love it!"  I had (well, still have in storage somewhere) a 200A I purchased gently-preowned in the mid 80's.

For the $35 price-point mentioned in this thread's survey, and "yes," it being a 145B, I don't think you can go wrong (especially since it is not as bulky/heavy lol !).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Bad Penguin said:

Yes, I insta-purchased. Own everything Skybox.

I am not capable of giving a review other than a simple "I love it!"  I had (well, still have in storage somewhere) a 200A I purchased gently-preowned in the mid 80's.

For the $35 price-point mentioned in this thread's survey, and "yes," it being a 145B, I don't think you can go wrong (especially since it is not as bulky/heavy lol !).

That works for me as a review.  You installed it and it obviously made you very happy and you personally owned a 200A, so you know how great actual Wurlys are. Basically,  you also confirmed my suspicions that this new developer is top notch.  Thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dorondon said:

If you're an existing customer of skybox audio you can get EP 145B for $27.3

I just realized that the web page for the Hammers + Waves - EP 145B states that it's an EXPANSION. Does it require that you own some other library or can you purchase this library alone without any other product (beyond owning the full version of KONTAKT. which I own). 

1 hour ago, PavlovsCat said:

I just realized that the web page for the Hammers + Waves - EP 145B states that it's an EXPANSION. Does it require that you own some other library or can you purchase this library alone without any other product (beyond owning the full version of KONTAKT. which I own). 

You don't even need the full Version of Kontakt as they're Kontakt Player libraries. 

I noticed last night when looking at this expansion, it says "No previous skybox instruments required" 

Whereas the other one (Ether) is 10 extra presets for each of the 10 instruments so it very much requires the other instruments to get any value out of Ether. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's probably not in the same league as dedicated Wurli emulations, but if you already own the KORG Triton plugin it's worth checking out the keyboard presets. There are many good ROMpler based bread and butter presets, including a bunch of decent e-pianos with a few Wurlis among them. Just happened to notice this while I was messing with the KORG...

57 minutes ago, abacab said:

It's probably not in the same league as dedicated Wurli emulations, but if you already own the KORG Triton plugin it's worth checking out the keyboard presets. There are many good ROMpler based bread and butter presets, including a bunch of decent e-pianos with a few Wurlis among them. Just happened to notice this while I was messing with the KORG...

As far as I'm concerned I love when everyone is talking Wurlis/Wurlys however we choose to spell it. I think we need a dedicated Wurli forum. Even though, I'm not much of a player. Who here is a decent Wurli player with good chops? I grew up with a mother who was a killer keyboardists and my sisters were really really good. My son has a 88 key midi controller, it was trying to show him how to play it last Christmas that got me to attempt to play again. I actually think I'm going to try to learn some new techniques. The keyboardist from Jamoarqui (sic?) is a YouTuber who shares his blues and funky electric piano licks and I think I'm going to spend some time.  Is anyone else doing anything like that -- like studying blues, funk and R&B techniques and riffs? That's what these things are great for. I've played with some really talented keyboardist, but I've never really been one. I was always on drums with bands. 

39 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Is anyone else doing anything like that -- like studying blues, funk and R&B techniques and riffs? That's what these things are great for. I've played with some really talented keyboardist, but I've never really been one. I was always on drums with bands. 

Take a look at this course. Looks like a fast track for us, *cough* more mature citizens, that don't have unlimited years to learn something new. On sale for 2 more days at $19.99.

https://www.udemy.com/course/pianoforall-incredible-new-way-to-learn-piano-keyboard/

Pianoforall is one of the most popular online piano courses with over 400,000 students worldwide

Now ANYONE Can Learn Piano or Keyboard

Imagine being able to sit down at a piano and just PLAY - Ballads,  Pop, Blues, Jazz, Ragtime, even amazing Classical pieces? Now you can...  and you can do it in months not years without wasting money, time and  effort on traditional Piano Lessons. 

An Incredible Set of Videos and ebooks (25 hours of video, 10 carefully structured ebooks)

Pianoforall is specially designed to take complete beginners to an  intermediate level faster than any other method. You start with popular  rhythm style piano (think of artists like Lennon & McCartney, Elton  John, Billy Joel,  Barry Mannilow, Lionel Ritchie, Coldplay and so on) which means you get to sound like a pro right from the  start.

You then expand step-by-step into Ballad style, Blues, Jazz, Ragtime,  Improvisation and creating your own melodies. You will even learn how to  read music AS you learn how to ‘play-by-ear’ and eventually you will be  able to play some amazing Classical pieces. 

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, abacab said:

Take a look at this course. Looks like a fast track for us, *cough* more mature citizens, that don't have unlimited years to learn something new. On sale for 2 more days at $19.99.

It is so real tha,t you feel a ruler hitting your hands when you don't play the right notes 😆

• Haha 2

Thanks for the thread.  It has certainly increased my awareness of the Wurli/Wurly.

I found this page to be interesting, which reviews a number of Wurlitzer plugins (breaks down the features of each plugin): https://adammonroemusic.com/blog/best_wurlitzer_vst_plugin.html

Can anyone weigh in on the SampleTank Wurly Model 120 (since I have it)?

Edited by ALC

49 minutes ago, ALC said:

Thanks for the thread.  It has certainly increased my awareness of the Wurli/Wurly.

I found this page to be interesting, which reviews a number of Wurlitzer plugins (breaks down the features of each plugin): https://adammonroemusic.com/blog/best_wurlitzer_vst_plugin.html

I was quite excited when I first got that one during the big group buy, but sadly it's the least convincing Wurlitzer I've heard so far. It sounds more like a weird dirty synth imitation of a Wurlitzer to my ears. 

The 1974 Wurly Electric Piano in Sampletank 4 has a serviceable enough tone that would probably work well in a mix. At 323 mb it has its limitations; you can hear there aren't many velocity layers to it, although it does have a nice bark at high velocity levels. The higher regions sound less convincing with less noticeable release sounds. I start getting the sense of it sounding like a synth. 

Edited by Craig N
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ALC said:

Honestly, I think that the AIR Velvet A200 sounds much better! :)

Five Legendary Electric Pianos

"Velvet is a virtual electronic piano that combines five legendary electric pianos from the 60s and 70s into one versatile instrument. Based on the Fender Rhodes Suitcase, Fender Rhodes MK I and MK II Stage Pianos, Wurlitzer 200A and Hohner Pianet-T, Velvet accurately emulates the sound quality, response, and nuances of each original instrument to bring your piano tracks to life. Additionally, Velvet features a pallet of onboard effects and allows you to control every aspect of the sound for unparalleled realism: turn up the tube drive controls in the preamp section to warm up your tone; adjust the timbre, dynamic response, and velocity curve to customize the playing feel; and mix in the sound of pedal and other keyboard mechanical noises to recreate an authentic electric piano track."

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, abacab said:

Take a look at this course. Looks like a fast track for us, *cough* more mature citizens, that don't have unlimited years to learn something new.

Gotta pay your dues abacab. That includes getting slapped on the wrist each time you mess up, no matter how old you are.

Btw, can anyone tell me what kind of electric piano the Scarbee EP-88s is? I can't seem find what category it falls into. Like is it a Rhoads or? I don't think it's a wurli

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Christian Jones said:

Gotta pay your dues abacab. That includes getting slapped on the wrist each time you mess up, no matter how old you are.

Btw, can anyone tell me what kind of electric piano the Scarbee EP-88s is? I can't seem find what category it falls into. Like is it a Rhoads or? I don't think it's a wurli

Not sure the specific model but I know it's a Rhodes. I have it, and I noticed the dynamics are great when I was comparing it to some other Rhodes libraries the other day. 

• Thanks 1