Get Sonar Platinum stuff without Platinum installed?

Sal Sorice

Saw a post by IgoRr (see here) about being able to use a registry entry to make Cakewalk Command Center 'think' Sonar Platinum is installed so you can then install things like Studio Mixing FX Suite, etc. I have Cakewalk by Bandlab installed and get the 'Cannot locate the required version of the program..." error when trying to add Platinum elements. Don't want to install Platinum to get them (at least not on the same PC). 

Has anyone tried this? Was also wondering if it is possible to install Platinum on another PC (or a Virtual Machine) and then 'export' the items I want so I can 'import' them into Cakewalk by Bandlab. Not sure if that is even possible...

FWIW SONAR Platinum itself only takes up about 250MB - everything else is in folders shared between CbB & SONAR. 

The exception is C:\Cakewalk Content\SONAR Platinum  which is around 1Gb... but you can point SONAR to CbB's directory ( C:\Cakewalk Content\Cakewalk Core ) within SONAR's preferences and delete the SONAR one.

You may find it easier to just have them both installed.

• Like 2

Thanks msmcleod. I'm worried about installing Platinum since CbB is already installed. I read that Platinum should be installed first. Don't want to mess things up. IgoRr messaged me and said that only one reg key is needed so that Cakewalk Command Center 'thinks' Platinum is installed, and then all the installers will run. I'll probably give that a try and report back with results.

Edited by Sal Sorice
typo

4 minutes ago, Sal Sorice said:

Thanks msmcleod. I'm worried about installing Platinum since CbB is already installed. I read that Platinum should be installed first. Don't want to mess things up.

If CbB is installed, after installing an older Cakewalk DAW, rollback (or perform a simple uninstall) and re-install CbB. This makes sure the latest shared files are installed. It's not that difficult.

• Like 2

Just added the reg key and was able to install Platinum Studio Mixing Suite without issue. Big thanks to IgoRr! Looks like the installers in Cakewalk Command Center are just looking for a registry key saying that Sonar is 'installed'.  CbB picked up the added VSTs immediately.