Elegy for Doc - in memory of my father

jwnicholson78

After a long and rewarding life, my father passed away earlier this year. When I was younger and would sit down to play the piano, he would always ask me to "play something soothing to the spirit". I wrote this song in hopes of honoring this request.

Edited by jwnicholson78
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 1

On 7/14/2019 at 10:25 PM, emeraldsoul said:

Great tune, very mellow but kind of stirring. You might make the piano louder when it's in there, as now it takes a back seat to the orchestration.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks so much, Tom.  That's exactly what I was aiming for.  I agree, I think I need to bring the piano forward a little.

Jeff

Very nice tribute to your Father . Your song exhibited  some very nice classically inspired  arrangements and  musical motifs  through t its play .

A couple of time I thought the tympanist volume was a tad high  . In addition to that I  also thought the marching snares could have come up in places  ...

I'm a fan of those type of snares because when I joined band in Jr HS they didn't have guitar so the made me play snare drum 😅

anyway very cool song ,

Kenny

17 hours ago, Kenny Wilson said:

Very nice tribute to your Father . Your song exhibited  some very nice classically inspired  arrangements and  musical motifs  through t its play .

A couple of time I thought the tympanist volume was a tad high  . In addition to that I  also thought the marching snares could have come up in places  ...

I'm a fan of those type of snares because when I joined band in Jr HS they didn't have guitar so the made me play snare drum 😅

anyway very cool song ,

Kenny

Thanks, Kenny.  I kind of knew I was cranking the tympani a little, but I love the sound of that low boom :)

On the other hand maybe with the snare I was a little nervous because of the great Cardinal drum controversy 🤣

Jeff

I liked this. You must have remixed and put the piano more up front because it sounds perfect to me. Really good work and a wonderful tribute to your father.

I liked how it built up, came back down, then up again with the final ending becoming quiet and calming. I liked the ending. Very well done.

Edited by Grem

On 7/24/2019 at 7:17 AM, Grem said:

I liked this. You must have remixed and put the piano more up front because it sounds perfect to me. Really good work and a wonderful tribute to your father.

I liked how it built up, came back down, then up again with the final ending becoming quiet and calming. I liked the ending. Very well done.

Thanks!  This is still the original version.  For the most part I think the level of the piano is fine, but there are a few spots where it's carrying the main theme and I want to bring it forward since it does get a little buried by the orchestra.  I just haven't had a chance to work on it.

Very  good composition.   I would agree you acheived your goal and created a fitting tribute to your father, and, perhaps hit on a theme for that generation in the process.    Really enjoyed the song and the orchestration.

Regards