Semaphore - Mix for Radio

53mph

Hi guys,

I'd love your feedback on this. I was thinking of releasing this mix on Spotify. It's a reworking of a track I did a few months back. I've added piano, drums, bass and spatial sounds. I'd like to know if it sits right or if there are any sounds or frequencies jumping out.

Thanks

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Another very cool song from you Philip . . . this one travels along with a smooth delivery. It's very "close up" and personal, the way you recorded it, which really works well for the song and lyric idea, though,  the acoustic string slide noise would drive most audio engineers crazy . . . did you have the mic very near the fretboard to get this authentic sound ? I don't mind it so much, because that's what guitars sound like when you're right close to it . . . maybe do a club version in the future ? Anyways, glad you posted here, I'm a fan of what you do.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, noynekker said:

Another very cool song from you Philip . . . this one travels along with a smooth delivery. It's very "close up" and personal, the way you recorded it, which really works well for the song and lyric idea, though,  the acoustic string slide noise would drive most audio engineers crazy . . . did you have the mic very near the fretboard to get this authentic sound ? I don't mind it so much, because that's what guitars sound like when you're right close to it . . . maybe do a club version in the future ? Anyways, glad you posted here, I'm a fan of what you do.

Thanks mate. :)

I do mic the guitar close to the base of the fretboard.  I like to get fret noises into my mixes (I love driving you engineers crazy), but I did use some compression and limiter on the squeaks to suppress them somewhat. The fret playing is pretty frantic too, lots of sliding up and down the frets. 

Club mix sounds like a good idea - I might ask a friend if he can do a remix for me.

51 minutes ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Philip - this is a good track - my only slight comment would be I agree with Lynn, vocals could be up a little bit

cool

Nigel

I tried a mix with he vocals a few dB higher but, for some reason, it throws the whole mix out. It just didn't sit well. So I decided to throw caution to the wind and go with this mix. 

It's coming out Dec on streaming and has already gone to radio.  Fingers crossed. 🤞

6 hours ago, mark skinner said:

Smooth ..  I really appreciated the triplet percussion driving everything. Wondering how you achieved it. The relaxed vocals were Fantastic.   mark

Thanks Mark,

The percussion is a combination of knee slapping, string slapping and some light drumming.  I also use some of these tracks to trigger the drum replacement in Sonar. I try to keep it subtle, and to blend the sounds. 

Thanks for the comment on the vocals. Really appreciate it. :)

• Like 1

real good overall job....mix is good to my ears except for the percussion which i personally found annoying....i like the percussion playing but the not the tone of it, i'd bass it up a little and you know, mess around with it to see what can be and can't be done with it....just my two cents everything else sounds ready to go 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Edited by Larry T.
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Larry T. said:

real good overall job....mix is good to my ears except for the percussion which i personally found annoying....i like the percussion playing but the not the tone of it, i'd bass it up a little and you know, mess around with it to see what can be and can't be done with it....just my two cents everything else sounds ready to go 🎶🎶🎶🎶

Thanks for listening Larry. Each to their own, I guess. 😉 The track has already been released on streaming and been doing the rounds on internet radio, so I won't be making any more changes.  But I appreciate the input. 🙏