Sonible SmartEQ Black Friday Deal

D-Fused Sounds

55 minutes ago, Niky Serrano said:

That's for you... that are a lucky person

I have proximity:EQ and entropy:EQ which were freebies, but I haven't used them nearly as much as I thought I would.  And I've got 2 Balancers from the Focurite Plugin Collective (I think) that I haven't even activated yet...   Still, the SmartEQ looks interesting for $30.

• Like 1

I got SmartEQ3 from Plugin Boutique, as I had some virtual cash saved up.

One thing I am really clueless at is separating instruments in the mix using EQ. When people tell me that 'I need to carve out some space in the mix' for one instrument or another, they may as well be talking in Klingon - I genuinely don't have a clue.

SmartEQ has a virtual band feature so you can group instances of the plugin (up to six) and visually 'move' them in the mix. It looks like a gimmick but I tried it on a couple of my tracks and I can definitely hear a difference compared to the bypass, so it must be doing something. Subtle I grant you, but discernible nonetheless.

So for that alone it works for me, and the added presets are a baseline to work from as an EQ profile.

If, unlike me, you're an expert in the dark art of EQ, I doubt you'd use this feature.

Andy

Edited by AndyB01
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AndyB01 said:

One thing I am really clueless at is separating instruments in the mix using EQ. When people tell me I that 'I need to carve out some space in the mix' for one instrument or another, they may as well be talking in Klingon - I genuinely don't have a clue.

I started a music-related blog recently, and my two most recent posts are about learning to EQ. One goes through my thought process when mixing a downtempo song and mentions some EQ settings that I used. If this sounds interesting, there's a link to it in my signature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1