Just wondering why are people on bandlab so mean

chosen

Question

6 answers to this question

That might be a better question for Bandlab, the company (the people who run the music social network) than here, which is focused on the Cakewalk application specifically (of whom Bandlab are the owners of Cakewalk, but separate to the social network).

But go on any YouTube comments section and you'll find those kind of people all over the place there too. And Twitter. And Facebook. It's pretty awful.

Here, at least, we have a fairly proactive team of moderators making sure this place is as inclusive as it can be, while trying to keep some kind of order in general. They don't always get it right (as no moderators can ever do) but I think most people here would agree it's a pretty friendly and productive space.

Your best bet is to contact the Bandlab company directly here to voice your concerns: https://help.bandlab.com/hc/en-us/articles/4404926548121-How-do-I-contact-BandLab-

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 3
  • Great Idea 2

I’ve been on the old cakewalk forum and this one and have seen only a handful of women posting over the years. I have been treated with respect and been helped with issues over the years so for me it has been a friendly and productive and supportive forum. I have not seen other women treated poorly here either. Women in music being bullied is sad and probably very discouraging for the victim. I want to share my positive experience here so other women forum readers may feel comfortable about posting on this forum. 

• Like 12

My experience on Bandlab, no bullying but a fair bit of spam and the odd inappropriate comment. I report all of these and tbf to Bandlab - every single one has been blocked and kicked off for breach of rules within a day or so.

As to why people do it - human nature I guess - I don't think it's just a Bandlab problem. Pathetic and doubtless talentless keyboard warriors, hiding behind a cloak of pseudo-anonymity they believe gives them the right to abuse others without sanction or redress. It's beyond tragic  but almost impossible to police at scale, like playing whack-a-mole but for every one you hit, ten more pop up.

Thankfully, this place is a lot more civilized, one of the reasons why I'm still here. I've only ever been trolled once on here (on the previous version of this forum) and the community response was both swift and inspiring. To see this guy (who had been rudely trashing a number of posts by me and others) publicly taken down and dismantled by some of the elders on here was extremely heart-warming.

Andy

• Like 2

For some people, anonymity seems to provide a stimulus to speak without thought of consequence. Either to themselves or others. 
People are quick to quote freedom of speech as a right and something to be protected at any cost yet conversely, little seems to be said about responsibility for what you say and being held accountable for those words. 
I think freedoms are not absolute but conditional upon our responsible exercise of those freedoms. 
As others have said though, this forum is pretty well free of nasty speech.
Good policies and moderators who apply them fairly keep the forum humming along.   

Edited by Michael Vogel
  • Like 1

Michael - you are correct. The disconnect people have is a misunderstanding of what your RIGHTS really are. You have the right to do ANYTHING you want - but understand that that extraordinary right only extends to the tip of your nose - and no further.

That right ends there because you then intrude on others, and that is NOT your right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, King Burton said:

That right ends there because you then intrude on others, and that is NOT your right.

yes, however in our brave new world of doxing, social media activism, employer harassment, name calling amplified on multiple platforms, etc. someone can be targeted and destroyed should someone get a bug up their you-know-what and make it their right to do the wrong things... just saying...