fake drum room mics

jack c.

^^ Great advice!

To expand on what Mark said. I'd also tend to make sure your reverb is set to a "room" kind of sound rather than a big hall wash, then set up a pre-delay on it if the reverb plugin has it (or put a delay in the chain before the reverb plugin with 100% wet and a delay time of 50 - 200ms), and then I'd use EQ to sculpt the sound a little, rolling off the highs especially, and more than likely everything below about 200Hz too.

The idea of that is that sound takes a while to travel to another part of a room and reach the room mics there, so you'd want to add the pre-delay in to give it the illusion of it travelling. Some people like to time-align their room mics to be in time with the initial drum sound when doing live drums but that always makes it sound much smaller than if you just left it alone, I reckon.

The reason I'm suggesting a room kind of reverb rather than a hall or plate or anything like that is it's generally more dense sounding, so you get that "boxed in" kind of room feeling, and EQing it will make it sound further away and stop it from clashing with your direct drum sound. There's nothing wrong with adding a send on that room track to a bigger reverb if you want it to sound like the space is bigger, but I'd definitely start there.

I'd also tend to experiment with maybe adding some saturation to the room track as well - the Pro Channel Tape Emulator is a good one to throw on there to give it some thickness and grit, but you'd definitely want to have this all fairly low in the mix if you go this way unless you're purposely going for a trashy kind of drum sound (which sounds killer, but it won't work for everything).

Edited by Lord Tim

I think there's an argument for both pre and post fade, but in argument for pre-fade, imagine you have a live multi-mic kit. Each drum will be as loud as it is, and those room mics will pick up the kit as a whole. Then when you get the multitracks of the kit into your project, you might find you'd like the hats quieter, the kicks and snare louder, etc. so you'd adjust those on each kit element, but the room mics wouldn't change - that's baked into what the room "heard" so to speak.

Of course, this isn't a real kit, so you don't have to put up with the limitations of live mics either. You might find the kit sounds great in the room but the cymbals are way too loud, so you have to jump through a bunch of hoops with de-essing, EQing, etc. to tame it all. For a fake room mic, just turn the send down on those elements, so do it as a post-fader send.

It's ultimately whatever works for the track, really.

Edited by Lord Tim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jack c. said:

i installed Perfect Space convolution reverb

but i can find them.so where are these impulse responses located or do i have to downlaod them?thanks in advance.jack c.

Take look here. Probably something more up to date and 64-bit for free.

Best FREE Convolution Reverb VST Plugins

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2019/03/18/free-convolution-reverb-vst/

I my opinion, I would try the Melda plugin first. I own several of their plugins, plus many of their free ones. They are always high quality and relatively bug free. The developer is always updating the bundle.

Edited by abacab