Waves CR8 Sampler Updated

cclarry

3 minutes ago, Esteban Villanova said:

Does it still use 1 GB RAM per instance?

Funny, but also a really good question. Once I found out it was using that 1GB RAM per-instance, I messaged Waves audio and they stated it was "by-design". I immediately uninstalled and stated on their forums it was my opinion their design was terrible.

• Thanks 1
  • Great Idea 1

6 hours ago, ZincT said:

Just tested it after the update and yes it does still use 1Gb of RAM per instance.

I don't really see that as a problem unless someone plans to run dozens of CR8 instances in your project. Most folks have at least 16-32 GB of RAM available. Freezing instrument tracks or bouncing them to audio is also an option to free memory (and CPU) after you have finalized a track.

And for those that absolutely need a sampler with a smaller footprint, check out the free Grace sampler by One Small Clue. Not as fancy as CR8, but only uses 269 MB of RAM. https://www.onesmallclue.com/

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/09/14/grace-sampler-free/

"Compared to various more powerful (and quite often needlessly over-bloated) sampler instruments on the market, Grace is an absolute joy to use. Granted, it does have its limitations (more on those below), but it is the perfect tool for handling a substantial percentage of everyday sampling tasks."

Edited by abacab

Just now, ZincT said:

@abacab

Agreed, I don't see it as a problem (I have 32gb of RAM which rarely gets fully used). I was just answering the question. 

I was just quoting you for context in my reply, not actually directed to you. But I figured others may benefit from the related info! Cheers!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, abacab said:

I don't really see that as a problem unless someone plans to run dozens of CR8 instances in your project. Most folks have at least 16-32 GB of RAM available. Freezing instrument tracks or bouncing them to audio is also an option to free memory (and CPU) after you have finalized a track.

And for those that absolutely need a sampler with a smaller footprint, check out the free Grace sampler by One Small Clue. Not as fancy as CR8, but only uses 269 MB of RAM. https://www.onesmallclue.com/

https://bedroomproducersblog.com/2015/09/14/grace-sampler-free/

"Compared to various more powerful (and quite often needlessly over-bloated) sampler instruments on the market, Grace is an absolute joy to use. Granted, it does have its limitations (more on those below), but it is the perfect tool for handling a substantial percentage of everyday sampling tasks."

To each their own, but I absolutely won't use a sampler that uses 1GB (plus) of RAM per-intense. Just sets up issues down the road when opening old projects. I have 32GB in my W11 machine and still wouldn't use it. It's an unnecessary use of system resources.

Waves audio has the money to fix it, but the issue could be they're trying to pay the developers $29.99... Okay, weak sarcasm at Waves, but still the plugin in my eyes shouldn't use 1GB of RAM.

Normally I wouldn't care about the updating process for a virtual plugin, but with Waves plugins being directly linked to an update service model, I'm very cautious of what I use in productions.

3 minutes ago, KoreyCreative said:

Waves audio has the money to fix it, but the issue could be they're trying to pay the developers $29.99... Okay, weak sarcasm at Waves, but still the plugin in my eyes shouldn't use 1GB of RAM.

Normally I wouldn't care about the updating process for a virtual plugin, but with Waves plugins being directly linked to an update service model, I'm very cautious of what I use in productions.

So then just don't use it. I doubt Waves are going to "fix" anything.

On 11/15/2022 at 4:01 AM, ZincT said:

Just tested it after the update and yes it does still use 1Gb of RAM per instance.

Thanks man, I guess I won't install it (even though I downloaded its whole sample pack).

I don't see it very useful for my tastes (although I bet it's very useful to others).

9 hours ago, KoreyCreative said:

I use Sample One and Impact XT from Studio One 5.6 professional. I also use loopcloud 4 (it's old), but allows me to find samples with ease and drag and drop into the DAW.

Good choice! It's probably best to use the integrated samplers that come with one's DAW, where available.

For those with Cakewalk only, unfortunately there is no sampler included. So those users must seek a 3rd party solution. I have Cakewalk, Studio One, and Ableton Live so more choices! :)