Where to upload?

Skeptik

I like doing covers and I used to use soundcloud a long time ago, but I just realized that they are a pain in the butt to deal with.  Copyright this and copyright that.  Is there just a place I can upload and post a link where I can have people listen to my covers or something?

Thanks.

@Skeptik you will have the copyright problem on any streaming site and here as well. There is good reasons that people copyright stuff it's to protect their intellectual rights and their source of income. 

I have know idea if you have gainful employment but I have to ask how would you feel if you do have a job and the next time you go to that job you find someone else doing it for less than you were, along with the employer saying you are no longer needed? 

15 minutes ago, Wookiee said:

@Skeptik you will have the copyright problem on any streaming site and here as well. There is good reasons that people copyright stuff it's to protect their intellectual rights and their source of income. 

I have know idea if you have gainful employment but I have to ask how would you feel if you do have a job and the next time you go to that job you find someone else doing it for less than you were, along with the employer saying you are no longer needed? 

I am gainfully employed and I'm not talking about monetary gain whatsoever, so you argument is null.  Listening and making money off of listening are two completely different things.  If somebody covered my originals and put them up for people to listen, I would be extremely flattered, so long as there's no monetary gain.  Which is the entire purpose of this post, but nevermind.

Edited by Skeptik

2 hours ago, Skeptik said:

I am gainfully employed and I'm not talking about monetary gain whatsoever, so you argument is null.  Listening and making money off of listening are two completely different things.  If somebody covered my originals and put them up for people to listen, I would be extremely flattered, so long as there's no monetary gain.  Which is the entire purpose of this post, but nevermind.

It isn't  a null. People copyright things for a reason. But to put it in as simple terms,  if you posted links to unlicensed covers both you and Bandlab could be prosecuted. You for covering & Bandlab for promoting you. 

That is why posting unlicensed covers is breach of the forum usage, which you agreed to when you created your account here. 

20 hours ago, DaveT2 said:

Wow, I see a lot of unlicensed covers on this forum. Nobody is calling them out.

You don't know that for sure, most here are honest. 

Secondly you clearly stated your intent to post unlicensed material. 

You can try posting on one of the many streaming sites and try your luck. 

The other answer is to host your own. 

The performing rights society's employ people to check all and any websites hosting music for appropriate licensing. 

I did find this information from the website https://help.songtrust.com/knowledge/who-do-i-need-to-get-permission-from-to-record-and-release-a-cover-song

INCLUDING A COVER SONG ON YOUR OWN ALBUM

You don’t need a license if you are releasing a cover strictly on streaming platforms. Services like Spotify and Apple Music license songs and pay royalties to publishers as part of The MLC (The Mechanical Licensing Collective) that was launched in 2019. This means that artists releasing covers on those platforms are not responsible for any related royalty payments.

If you plan on releasing a cover song as part of a physical and/or downloadable record, you will need a mechanical license. The current statutory rate for mechanical licenses in the US is 9.1 cents per downloaded song or song on a physical album purchase. You can secure this license through Harry Fox Agency's Songfile, Easy Song , or the copyright holder themselves. 

If you want to cover a work Songtrust currently administers, you can email us directly instead of contacting a third party service. Distributors like CD Baby will usually help you obtain licenses as well.

If you want to release two different versions of a cover song (live and studio recordings, for instance) you will need to obtain two separate mechanical licenses. 

Edited by DaveT2
  • Thanks 2