Not a deal - going Kontakt less

Fleer

I can see that happening.  Sometimes the best approach is reaching a limit of what to use.

One the other hand I'm going in the opposite direction and sticking with Kontakt.   I don't care for Sine, Spitfire, UVI. 

With Spire, Sylenth, and Serum I don't need to buy those synths built with Kontakt.

• Great Idea 1

2 hours ago, antler said:

Some people don't like it because they say it's ugly, and there's a fairly high cost for entry. Other than that, nothing - if you have enough space for the libraries.

I don't like the interface, no so much visual problems but too many times there is no audio output or some other quirk that makes me remove it.  I only have player but have some libraries for it.  I actually avoid using it in any project instead of learning how to resolve the issues that arise.

23 minutes ago, Brian Walton said:

I don't like the interface, no so much visual problems but too many times there is no audio output or some other quirk that makes me remove it.  I only have player but have some libraries for it.  I actually avoid using it in any project instead of learning how to resolve the issues that arise.

Yeah - I admit the UI's a bit quirky. For the longest time I was wondering why there were only four stereo outs and the rest mono. Turns out that if you want more, you have to set it up and then save the configuration as the default config for that operation mode (standalone/plugin). When you open it up again, you magically get more stereo outs.

5 hours ago, abacab said:

My solution is to just stop buying stuff... 🤣

He posts in a forum exclusively focused on buying stuff. 

Anyone reading this, if you're here and you think you're trying to cut back on your spending -- which I've posted in several threads, so that's me too (as I posted that I was trying to cut back on my sample and plugin spending in a multiple threads focused on sample libraries I was considering and then bought sample libraries and plugins afterwards) -- you're lying to yourself. 

Just an idea, maybe our signatures should contain a count of how many sample libraries and plugins we've purchased to date per year. Of course, I'm sure sample and plugin developers would hate that idea. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, abacab said:

I'm trying to save up for Zebra Legacy, $99 on November 15th.... ;)

Sorry, man, you know I like you, but we're not a good crowd to hang with when you're trying to save money.

I mean, really, you're talking about three days of not spending money during November with massive sales be announced every few hours. Be honest with yourself. That's a long time from now. Think about the stuff people have accomplished in three days. But being a deals forum regular and not spending money, that's really hard. My three hard drives on my DAW PC  have been near capacity for a couple of months and I've bought nearly a TB worth of samples in the last few weeks (for those counting, that's like one and half utlra-intensely-massively-deep 8Dio sample libraries worth of storage space). 

#PrayForAbacab

• Haha 1

Let me quite quote myself from another thread:

15 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Terrible indeed.

I regret I wasted several hundreds on products now belong to InMusic. Issues you mention are my main reasons I'm moving away from plugin based VIs.

Plugins, their installers, their license managers are operating system level programs that can do anything to a computer. They can (and do) spy on you, they can lock you out of using the product (activation/licensing errors), or they can directly harm your computer (like the iLok BSOD issue).

Kontakt libraries are just bunch of files you download and move around; they live in Kontakt without access to your computer. If Native Instruments vanishes tomorrow, we can just find a portable version and continue our work.

Edited by daveiv
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, daveiv said:

Let me quite myself from another thread:

Terrible indeed.

I regret I wasted several hundreds on products now belong to InMusic. Issues you mention are my main reasons I'm moving away from plugin based VIs.

Plugins, their installers, their license managers are operating system level programs that can do anything to a computer. They can (and do) spy on you, they can lock you out of using the product (activation/licensing errors), or they can directly harm your computer (like the iLok BSOD issue).

Kontakt libraries are just bunch of files you download and move around; they live in Kontakt without access to your computer. If Native Instruments vanishes tomorrow, we can just find a portable version and continue our work.

It's worth noting that daveiv is a software engineer sharing these views on software. I think that's significant in this case. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Fleer said:

If it weren’t for a limited number of devs like OrangeTreeSamples I’d be able to put my money where my mouth is (or keep it in my wallet as far as Kontakt is concerned). 

Obviously,  I've worked with Orange Tree Samples and use their guitar and bass libraries in nearly every production for, but I  also use pianos and string libraries in the KONTAKT format in nearly every production too. I have pianos in other formats, like ezKeys that I love, Addictive Keys (I find meh) and UVI (nice but I don't enjoy the UVI user experience), but 90% of projects, I'm largely using KONTAKT with a drum plugin,  although sometimes I used KONTAKT drum libraries. So if I had to give up every non-effects plugin but one, I would easily choose KONTAKT. But to the point some have made, I've bought a bunch of synth libraries for KONTAKT and it takes up far too much data. I think I'm done doing that and will stick with synth VSTs. 

• Great Idea 1

22 hours ago, Fleer said:

Got a new lappie, a MacBook Air M2 16GB/512GB as a swift little companion to go with the monstrous MacBook Pro M1Max 64GB/4TB as my main axe. 
And I’m planning on keeping them Kontakt free, at least the little one. 
Yep, you heard that right. I’ll fill it up with Falcon and its UVI banks, Arturia V Collection and Pigments, Melda MSoundFactory and friends, Spitfire BBCSO and Originals, Scaler, Toontrack, AAS, Bitwig, Omnisphere, Keyscape, Kilohearts, iZotope, Eventide, SugarBytes, XLN, Pianoteq, Organteq, Zynaptiq, PSP, Valhalla, Soundtoys, Softube, Relab, Unify and the lot, maybe even throw in some EastWest but no Kontakt, no.
Love this feeling.

Free at last.

Roland cloud imho is the perfect ratio size , price , sound covering ....

those old xpander covered everything ... you get eve, ethno stuff lol 

Whats wrong with Kontakt Fleer ? in fact it's way more conveniant than a lot you mentionned .... 

• Like 1