CHANGE BPM OF A PROJECT - HOW TO PUT WAV FILES IN THE SAME BPM

Milton Sica

Question

I am not able to increase the BPM by 10%, that is, from 110 to 121.

With MIDI tracks this is no problem at all.

The problem is with the WAV tracks. Follow my thought.

1) If I increased the BPM by 10% when using the STRETCH tool (CTRL+Shift+Mouse) I drag the track size to 90%.
2) Or, if I increased the speed by 10% the same decrease should be done on the WAV track.

Even doing it this way, the sync is not established.

I'm not here worrying about the PITCH of the voice or guitar.

• Like 1

16 answers to this question

This is how to do it:

1. Select the Tracks/Clips you want affected by tempo
2. Open the Clip Inspector, and go to the Groove Clip section
3. Enable "Stretch to Tempo", ensuring the Original Tempo matches your project tempo
4. Change your project tempo, and the clips with "Stretch to Tempo" enabled will follow the project tempo

This will however try to preserve pitch.

ClipsFollowTempo.gif

If you want to change it from 110 bpm to 121 bpm, then stretch it as you did originally using CTRL + SHIFT + drag, but by 90.9%  - i.e.  ( 100 / 121 ) * 110

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This is how to do it:

3. Enable "Stretch to Tempo", ensuring the Original Tempo matches your project tempo
4. Change your project tempo, and the clips with "Stretch to Tempo" enabled will follow the project tempo

ClipsFollowTempo.gif

If you want to change it from 110 bpm to 121 bpm, then stretch it as you did originally using CTRL + SHIFT + drag, but by 90.9%  - i.e.  ( 100 / 121 ) * 110

I tried your recommend and after the Stretch tempo and lowering the bpm I heard problems like stutter or repeats at the sound. It seems there is an unresolved issue at that feature.

By the way using "Audio Snap Auto Stretch (Follow Tempo)" function works without an issue.

And it's easy to select the affected audios with the "Edit | Select | All AudioSnap/Slipstreched" function with this way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

This is how to do it:

ClipsFollowTempo.gif

For me it worked perfectly.
In the second option which was how I was using it, how to change the view of the percentage increase or decrease to have decimals?

8 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

For me it worked perfectly.

Why it doesn't work for me? Any ideas?

8 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

In the second option which was how I was using it, how to change the view of the percentage increase or decrease to have decimals?

Second option just makes audio follow the tempo. Percentage just shows the stretch percentage related to the original audio. These two have nothing to do with each other.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

OMG sorry. I just realized you asked it to Mark referring to this sentence for second option:

1 hour ago, msmcleod said:

Still wondering why that feature is not working for me. Any thoughts?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, murat k. said:

OMG sorry. I just realized you asked it to Mark referring to this sentence for second option:

Still wondering why that feature is not working for me. Any thoughts?

In the clip properties in the Inspector.

Clip Properties > AudioSnap

1591862897_TrackInspector.PNG.92596842d20f08862354db7a7c6f1fb0.PNG

But, it would be interesting to have a way to visualize and insert the decimal values in the Clip in the Clips Pane.

Edited by Herbert Zio

3 minutes ago, Herbert Zio said:

In the clip properties in the Inspector.

Clip Properties > AudioSnap

1591862897_TrackInspector.PNG.92596842d20f08862354db7a7c6f1fb0.PNG

Thanks Herbert but I'm having trouble when I use this feature:

image.png.0441b3b83fbe4b38c76847eb3b879e41.png

1 hour ago, murat k. said:

I heard problems like stutter or repeats at the sound. It seems there is an unresolved issue at that feature.

I have no trouble with the AudioSnap:

1 hour ago, murat k. said:

By the way using "Audio Snap Auto Stretch (Follow Tempo)" function works without an issue.

15 minutes ago, Herbert Zio said:

But, it would be interesting to have a way to visualize and insert the decimal values in the Clip in the Clips Pane.

😄OMG. You were talking about that decimal thing. It was Milton's question. But now I get the point.

Still wondering. Why this makes stutters at the audio after changing the tempo?

image.png.0441b3b83fbe4b38c76847eb3b879e41.png

44 minutes ago, Herbert Zio said:

@msmcleod, Any special settings in "Stretch Methods" to stop stuttering when changing BPM with "Stretch to Tempo" enabled?

You can try the different stretch algorithms to find out which one is best.

However, stuttering may be down to transients in the wrong place.  Switching the track filter to transients will allow you to check/edit them.

• Thanks 1

I found out the issue. It's related to the audio and the algorithm together. 

I get stutter applied Audiosnap to an audio with the Groove and Percussion algorithm. And Groove Clip seems to use Groove algorithm as default. This is why I heard stutter with the audio when I use Groove Clip. It seems there is no prefence available for to change the algorithm that Groove Clip use. If Groove Clip section had a render method selection we wouldn't get any stutter with the audio by selecting the right algorithm for that audio.

GrooveClip.png.65daf79f5d71d3850189f5ae4453adaf.png 

5 hours ago, murat k. said:

@Herbert ZioI didn't get any stutter with the AudioSnap with any algorithm. But Groove Clip did that. How did you get stutter with the AudioSnap?

Are these features works different on different machines? Can it be @msmcleod?

I referred to Groove Clip's "Stretch To Tempo", if some setting in "Stretch Methods" could solve the stuttering problem that occurs when using Groove Clip.

@msmcleod Said that after using the "Groove Clip" it could be some transient that got out of place when using the Stretch Tempo in the Groove Clip, and the problem could perhaps be solved by editing through the "Audio Transients" of the track which would basically be using AudioSnap to relocate Transients that are outside the grid.

40 minutes ago, Herbert Zio said:

I referred to Groove Clip's "Stretch To Tempo", if some setting in "Stretch Methods" could solve the stuttering problem that occurs when using Groove Clip.

@msmcleod Said that after using the "Groove Clip" it could be some transient that got out of place when using the Stretch Tempo in the Groove Clip, and the problem could perhaps be solved by editing through the "Audio Transients" of the track which would basically be using AudioSnap to relocate Transients that are outside the grid.

It's about the algorithm Herbert. If you change the render algorithm to "Groove"  with the same audio file you'll see the same stutter with the AudioSnap just like the Groove Clip.

I've just made a feature request: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/51192-groove-clip-stutter-issue/