mix recall for vox

charles kasler

one thing i've been doing lately - create a 2-track export of the main project - only what i need for the vocal performance, then create a project with that export on one track and then do all of the vocals and edits. then when i've got the vocals mostly comped etc i can then export those tracks and import into the main project. this keeps things fairly clean and then i can go back to editing the main project without overloading it with lots of additional vocal / take lanes tracks and edit-effects. reduces the overall size versus copying the entire main file (e.g. my main file might have 2.5GB of track audio, whereas the export might only be 50mb)

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

^^ good idea

This is what I did for ages on my old machine purely because it didn't have the resources to do everything in the one project. I'm a little more lazy now on simple projects since my current DAW has lots of power, but stuff with heaps of vocal layers, choirs, etc, I still use this method. Great to keep things clean, and a good backup strategy in case of a rare project corruption.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Milton Sica said:

I do the same.

Before using Melodyne, I copy the original clip to another take lane (in the same track) and mute that original. After applying Melodyne to the duplicate, I can easily revert to the original clip at any time, and there is no extra track.

• Like 2

Okay I made a copy of the tracks and archived and I would like to hide them. I go to console view, strips, and uncheck archived but it keeps getting rechecked. It's not a workspace issue because I have none selected and only use screen sets. What am I missing?

update, solved: i just have to right-click the track... not sure why the documentation gave me the instructions above?

Edited by charles kasler
updated info

On 11/12/2022 at 4:11 PM, Glenn Stanton said:

one thing i've been doing lately - create a 2-track export of the main project - only what i need for the vocal performance, then create a project with that export on one track and then do all of the vocals and edits. then when i've got the vocals mostly comped etc i can then export those tracks and import into the main project. this keeps things fairly clean and then i can go back to editing the main project without overloading it with lots of additional vocal / take lanes tracks and edit-effects. reduces the overall size versus copying the entire main file (e.g. my main file might have 2.5GB of track audio, whereas the export might only be 50mb)

I have done this with percussion tracks too. It gives you that extra horsepower you need to do some quick editing. I always wanted a way to freeze buses to free resources too. It would help under powered computers to keep that snappy response by lowering cpu and disk access. 

^^^^

yeah, my laptop is not very powerful so when using effects or VI i like to limit them and just take "completed" audio over. makes the overall mix process lighter. so i'll setup my MIDI-only tracks in its own "record template", tweak, and then export the audio tracks. then import into my "mix template". essentially, following the same mix process is if a client sent me a bunch of tracks... 

• Like 1