Disable Audio Snap

Dana Elston

Cakewalk Bundle Files (cwb) remove transient information from your audio files to keep the size down.  This transient information is always calculated at the time you create your audio clip - but it can be edited using Audio Snap, which is why Audio Snap is mentioned in the warning message.

The only way to not get that message is not to use cwb files and use cwp files instead.  You can always zip up the project directory into a single file for backup in any case.

Whilst cwb files can seem convenient, they're not without risk...

Firstly, you're putting your entire project into one file. If that file gets corrupted, you've lost your project.  Having the files separately in a directory will give you a fighting chance of recovering your work should any corruption arise.

Secondly, some cloud storage apps try to be clever when determining file types.  CWB files store the WAV file data first, so other applications can actually play the file.  I've seen some cloud apps strip all of the rest of project information out of the CWB (thinking it's just a WAV file) and leaving just the first track's WAV file when downloading it.  In saying that, I've normally only seen this behaviour when using a browser interface, as opposed to a cloud-app, but it's something to be aware of.

• Like 1

I use CB files constantly and have for years. that message really annoys me too. It has not always been there.

The idea is not to use CWB as the primary file but to use it as a backup. I even keep a copy of them in the car as a backup in case something happens to the house.

40 years of songs is not something I want to lose. BTW I have read that hard drives won't do well in the heat so I use a large flash drive for the car.

I use both cwp and cwb for my projects. I initially save my work on the cwp first then cwb when finished for the day. 

Yes, I remember back when Cakewalk really messed up (quite a few years ago) and the bundle files were not functioning as they are supposed to. I opened and old file one day supposing everything was right. It took my wav files and moved them to different tracks, cut them up in pieces, unable to be restored without a ton of effort...not fun. 

Soooo it would appear I can't just turn off that feature for any and all future projects while saving them as cwb files. Very annoying but I can live with that. Just hoping for a quick fix.

Thanks fellas.