TRADITION - Lava Lamp

bayoubill

Before I Am swept out into the Gulf  by yet another 500 year flood, I wanted to tell you about something  I do that helps me get into playing focus.

The ritual is before I pick up my guitar and after everything is on and ready to go I turn on the LAVA LAMP

the act itself is like a short ceremony that gets the guitar playing/ making music frame of mind brewing and that TIME as outsiders know it no longer exist

you know what I mean. You start at 1 pm and decide to take a break only to find it's 6 pm

that's how the LAVA LAMP is an essential part of my playing  existence 

it works for me

Edited by bayoubill
You start at 1 pm and decide to take a break only to find it's 6 pm is the opposite of say a treadmill where 20 minutes is actually 5

Right on. The way I get *my* vibe is I work in red light. I've done this forever. I have a lamp in my music room w/ the regular light and the only time that ever really gets turned on is when I'm troubleshooting, and the ceiling light gets the red "party" bulb. Red light is how I imagine my music and it creates the vibe I wanna be in and I can see just fine. Back when I was a kid and getting stoned before doing music it was a green light, because heh. I've done red light for at least 15 years. Actually, a lava lamp could be a nice addition to that. Maybe a green one. 

• Great Idea 1

[Shameless Plug]

For those of you who need a nice lava lamp (or are adding to an existing collection), THESE are especially nice!  They look FAR better in person than on that listing (I'll see if I can add a pic below - the video is too large).

[/Shameless Plug]

YellowLavaLamp.jpg

33 minutes ago, InstrEd said:

@craigb  Do you use the bluetooth speaker on the lavalamp?

I typically don't, but I was very impressed with the sound when I tried it using my phone.  I know three people who DO use it though (and no complaints!).

2 hours ago, craigb said:

[Shameless Plug]

For those of you who need a nice lava lamp (or are adding to an existing collection), THESE are especially nice!  They look FAR better in person than on that listing (I'll see if I can add a pic below - the video is too large).

[/Shameless Plug]

YellowLavaLamp.jpg

Would this be good to test your mix on? 

16 hours ago, InstrEd said:

Where would the music world be without the Lava Lamp9_9

Movie idea: man hits his head, wakes up in an alternate reality where nobody remembers lava lamps.

Hilarity ensues, as in the absence of lava lamps Pink Floyd never became popular, nor did party drugs, and we went straight to disco.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, bitflipper said:

Movie idea: man hits his head, wakes up in an alternate reality where nobody remembers lava lamps.

Hilarity ensues, as in the absence of lava lamps Pink Floyd never became popular, nor did party drugs, and we went straight to disco.

A horror flick then? 😆

Reminds me of when I was a DJ from '80 thru '83.  Outside of work I was in a rock band, but was forced to play disco (no, I didn't tell my bandmates what I did back then - lol!).

I was in High School then and my band teacher played trumpet and loved the disco era!  His take was I'm playing gigs at the Palmer House in downtown Chicago almost every Saturday night $$$.  Would he listen to it for enjoyment?  Absolutely not!

I think it would be a fantastic movie idea.

So this is so digital everyone will groan...

I feed an output with some mics with stereo spread into win amp and a groovy display plays in sync with whatever is going on in the room on a 50 inch screen. It is plenty of light.

I don't do it for everyone, but for friends i do.

Edited by Gswitz