AIR MUSIC TECH - Brand NEW Plugins

aidan o driscoll

On 11/12/2022 at 2:09 AM, Zo said:

Did they ever update their existig plugins ? 

So far as I have seen, they just updated the prices of the older plug-ins.

UPDATE: I just looked at a few of the older AIR products at Plug-in Boutique.  I do not see anything that says they have been updated.  And, since the ratings are based on considerably lower prices some of their ratings are IMO grossly inaccurate. For example:

[Image of "Value for Money" rating removed to reclaim the attachment space.]

Unfortunately, they do not allow purchasers to change ratings as I found out when I wanted to upgrade a rating on a product because it had been greatly improved with a free-for-life update since the time I got it from Plug-in Boutique.  

Edited by User 905133
added details

I think Air plugins are great....as stock plugs for systems like pro tools and MPC hardware. The limitations of MPC hardware incentivize user to reduce reliance on third party plugs.  They are also decent as low cost- or better still, free -add ons for non-MPC users.  Fabric XL is damn good but for the money, nowhere near the best buy at regular price. Even at the recent 99 dollar sale price, I would rather upgrade my v collection.

• Like 1

I bought into the full AIR instrument collection 6 years or so ago. Their marketing guy Simon later stated that new larger GUIs were under development, and he was seeking beta testers at one time. Updates that never happened. Then AIR dribbled out a few new instruments at full price, including Loom II without a scalable UI... then a few more... now it looks like inMusic have merged bits of the former AIR instrument tech into their AKAI MPC lineup. The original AIR instruments were a Pro Tools exclusive until inMusic bought them and released them as standard plugins. It seems now they have all but abandoned them, except for picking the bones for useful tech.

I also bought into the AKAI VIP system about 5 years ago, including a VIP integrated keyboard controller with color LCD. It offered mouse-free workstation type control over your plugins with front panel LCD controls, including preset multis and FX. Unfortunately VIP 3 only supported VST2, and they never developed it beyond that, and then quietly dropped the VIP lineup from production.

So yeah, I'm a bit cynical about inMusic now. 🙄

Edited by abacab
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, abacab said:

I bought into the full AIR instrument collection 6 years or so ago. Their marketing guy Simon later stated that new larger GUIs were under development, and he was seeking beta testers at one time. Updates that never happened. Then AIR dribbled out a few new instruments at full price, including Loom II without a scalable UI... then a few more... now it looks like inMusic have merged bits of the former AIR instrument tech into their AKAI MPC lineup. The original AIR instruments were a Pro Tools exclusive until inMusic bought them and released them as standard plugins. It seems now they have all but abandoned them, except for picking the bones for useful tech.

I also bought into the AKAI VIP system including a VIP integrated keyboard controller with color LCD. It offered mouse-free workstation type control over your plugins with front panel LCD controls, including preset multis and FX. Unfortunately VIP 3 only supported VST2, and they never developed it beyond that, and then quietly dropped the VIP lineup from production.

So yeah, I'm a bit cynical about inMusic now. 🙄

I got roped into VIP. Thankfully my Alesis VX49 ended up being a decent controller. I don't use VIP at all.  I find that Arturia's sust and Komplete do a better job with instruments I actually use.  I use my Air plugins, particularly when using MPC, but wouldn't actually buy any of them aside from  Loom II though. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, dubdisciple said:

Thankfully my Alesis VX49 ended up being a decent controller.

I have the same controller, and it's a solid keyboard! Pretty much a clone of the AKAI Pro Advance 49, but at a much better price without the AKAI name tag. :)

To clarify, I never said that they make bad products or the instruments don't sound good. So if you can overlook long-term product support you may find a good deal.

But IMO, the company is quick to change direction and drop customers and products without so much as an "I'm sorry". It's "just business" I suppose...

Edited by abacab
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Zo said:

Did they ever update their existig plugins ? Bugs and small gui on the menu....

The previous new instruments (Hype, Tubesynth, Electric, etc.) have all been updated with resizable interfaces and the ability to save presets within the instrument (not sure why that wasn't there in the first place).  Hybrid, Loom, Expand and the others however,  are still how they are. 

The demoed instruments sound nice, but they're not in the same league as what the better developers are doing with KONTAKT and InMusic has a horrific track record. I've never had worse problems with any software than theirs and they knew about the problems that caused issues with Windows users for more than a year and didn't resolve it. I have to side with Abacab on this one. 

• Like 1