Order of Effects

rfssongs

For the EQ and compression, it's kind of what you want to achieve with it mostly.

Let's say your vocal has a lot of muddy frequencies in there, or you have a very bassy voice. If you run compression first and then EQ to fix that stuff, the compressor will be working extra hard on stuff you'll just be throwing away later. In that case, I would put the EQ first to correct any problems and then the compressor.

On the other hand, if you like how the vocal sounds when it's compressed, but you think "maybe it could use a bit of air" then I'd do EQ  the high end boost after the compressor so I'm not messing up the dynamics or having the compressor make the boost affect the vocal's sibilance.

Reverb, definitely after the compressor, and I'd usually put it after the EQ too, although be careful of the reverb itself - it can also muddy up a good vocal sound. Have a look in the reverb plugin itself for EQ settings and try rolling off the highs and lows. You'd be surprised how much you can take out without it being noticeable, but it'll make the vocal sit in the mix a LOT better.

• Thanks 3

not compulsory but every time i eq then comp i at least review what comes out there (depends what style you're going for of course) but, eq then comp i think is the last two in the chain, usually..

the first eq/comp gives you something (tidying up the recording) but you may need to do them again depending what comes out of the first processing so don't be afraid to pile those processors on until you get the sound you're looking for :)

/have fun

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

good sounds first,we clean the paths and then compress the jumping paths, after that, if necessary, we clean the resins once more

but without eq and without comp, if the balance is good, you don't need anything - the less you use vst, the better the product will be

in search of poetry, you need it, but that's another story
At first, the eq and comp are limited

On 11/10/2022 at 5:02 PM, sjoens said:

On most compact mixers the signal path is Comp, EQ, reverb.

This is true. However, it's a compromise. Built-in compressors in consoles are primitive compared to what we have in a DAW. For example, they usually do not have sidechain filtering and can therefore react poorly when processing a vocal mic with a strong proximity effect.

As a general rule, EQ comes first. There may be a separate EQ just for the reverb effect, but that's usually a filter within the reverb plugin itself. EQ can have a profound effect on compression, so you definitely want to do any highpass filtering pre-compression.

Compression usually precedes reverb. Usually. There are exceptions, such as when you're processing drum overheads or drum room mics. Compressing the room sound or added reverb can create a pleasant wash (listen to the heavily compressed rides on early Beatles). But more often, compression does nothing for the reverb except make it overly prevalent on transients.

Lord Tim nailed it above, saying it's about what you want to achieve. Then again, Tim's been doing this a long time and is very good at it. If you're at a point where you're not yet sure what it is you want to achieve, EQ -> Comp -> Reverb is a safe starting place.  Then we can talk about chorus and distortion!

• Like 2

On 11/11/2022 at 5:43 AM, pwalpwal said:

eq comp eq comp reverb comp eq comp

At first, I thought you were talking about the Greg Wells Vocal chain.

Comp1 

Comp2

Vocals ->EQ->                                ->EQ

Comp3

Comp4

Comp5

Lead vocal 5 compressors parallel mix trick. They all can have EQ before and after each Compressor. All the compressors are different ones.