Synthesizer V 1.8.0 Now Released (Not a Deal)

ZincT

26 minutes ago, Bad Penguin said:

Very interested, but where is Dreamtonics based out of?

They appear to be charging a flat 10%  (sales?) tax, regardless of purchaser's location. Why do I wonder if they really are remitting this 10% surcharge to the proper taxing entities?

They are based in Japan.

My comment on the auto-tune was in regard to the first Asterian demo (the duet).  The second demo was just off pitch (to my ears).  I guess the composer's choice, considering that SynthV should be doing what it is told to.  Artistic choice I guess?  At any rate, not a good sales pitch (pun intended) to me.  I did listen to several of the artist's YouTube performances, and I was not that impressed beyond the basso profundo stuff (envy confession- I sing bass, but not BASS).  I will certainly be looking forward to hearing what folks can make with the new library though.  I hope they prove my first impressions wrong :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZincT said:

Shows promise I think!

To be honest, sounds a bit like the audition stage for a talent competion. Can we give Synth V voices singing lessons? :)

11 hours ago, locrian said:

I agree.  I think with a little processing it could be quite usable for some songs.

Agreed. But I think the isolated vocal track sounded best when there were multiple voices, so if I buy this I'm pretty sure it will stay in the background and do a great job there. But we'll see.

7 hours ago, Brian Lawler said:

My comment on the auto-tune was in regard to the first Asterian demo (the duet).  The second demo was just off pitch (to my ears).  I guess the composer's choice, considering that SynthV should be doing what it is told to.  Artistic choice I guess?  At any rate, not a good sales pitch (pun intended) to me.  I did listen to several of the artist's YouTube performances, and I was not that impressed beyond the basso profundo stuff (envy confession- I sing bass, but not BASS).  I will certainly be looking forward to hearing what folks can make with the new library though.  I hope they prove my first impressions wrong :)

Yeah, some of the YouTube stuff is a bit... rough. My hope is that Solaria didn't end up sounding so good by sheer luck and instead Eclipsed Sounds know what they are doing and chose Eric Hollaway for reasons other than availability and convenience. A quick search for bass singers on YouTube brings up some really good sounding alternatives.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pseudopop said:

To be honest, sounds a bit like the audition stage for a talent competion. Can we give Synth V voices singing lessons? :)

Agreed. But I think the isolated vocal track sounded best when there were multiple voices, so if I buy this I'm pretty sure it will stay in the background and do a great job there. But we'll see.

Yeah, some of the YouTube stuff is a bit... rough. My hope is that Solaria didn't end up sounding so good by sheer luck and instead Eclipsed Sounds know what they are doing and chose Eric Hollaway for reasons other than availability and convenience. A quick search for bass singers on YouTube brings up some really good sounding alternatives.

I guess if the source voice for a Synth V voicebank is a singer with a not-ideal voice then, to some degree, it will be difficult to recover that in the VS version of the voice. I wonder if Eclipsed Sounds approached any other Bass singers but they wanted too much money. I was hoping for a voice that could be used on something like the Disturbed version of Sound of Silence, but I'm not sure if Asterian is suitable for that. I've tried Kevin but his lower register gets a bit noisy as it's not his forte.

Then again, VS is very tweakable - compare some of the Weina demos above with the Dreamtonics ones. They sound really quite different. It will be interesting to see what the expert voice tuners come up with for Asterian over the coming weeks. 

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ZincT said:

New Asterian demo uploaded (see below).

In the description of the video, it says that 2 more demonstration songs will be uploaded throughout the pre-order period.

Much better, though I'm still not wowed. At this point I'd much rather hear just some kind of vocal runs or something.

• Like 1

Latest Asterian demo. Better voice clarity on this one I think. 

Also, Asterian's vocal modes have been confirmed: Clear, Warm, Gentle, Strained, Rough, Open, Closed, Passionate and Theatrical.

Edited by ZincT
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

They should've started with this one, though this time it's the relaxed tone of voice that doesn't quite match the music, IMO. But sounding much more promising!

Yes agreed; both on the voice not matching the music and it sounding more promising anyway. 

Latest Asterian demo - much clearer and more impressive to my ears.

Also gives an idea of his range.

They should have released this first imho.

Also, their latest ad is a pretty cool demonstration of Synth V capabilities (the voicebank is thought to be Natalie).

Edited by ZincT

I'm definitely buying Solaria and Asterian, but I'm struggling to figure out if I should get Natalie or Weina.

Weina is supposedly more advanced ("a culmination of arts and artificial intelligence") but I haven't been able to find any actual information about it. It's certainly more expensive (€87 vs €142) but if I get the bundle the price difference is smaller (€166 vs €202, prices include tax). Both voices sound good to me.