IK Multimedia: Total Studio 3.5 MAX ($199.99 @ JRRShop | RRP $999.99)

MusicMan

It's become really bloated and the library structure is not like Kontakt.

I don't think there's a simple way to delete what you don't use.

SampleTank Max is almost as large as my Komplete and Kontakt libraries combined.

One of these days I should do a ST only project.

On release, I expect TS4 to have a horrible upgrade price that makes everyone complain.  It's been a year since 3.5 was released; if 4 is released in March, and 4.5 in Nov 2023, we  can expect it to be Nov 2024 before there are deep discounts on TS4.  I only did a quick google on timing, but I bought now because my gut tells me this is as low as Total Studio maxgrade pricing will go. There'll probably be a few group buys and sales on SE products after a year though.

Please disagree if you think I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Jason Neudorf said:

On release, I expect TS4 to have a horrible upgrade price that makes everyone complain.  It's been a year since 3.5 was released; if 4 is released in March, and 4.5 in Nov 2023, we  can expect it to be Nov 2024 before there are deep discounts on TS4.  I only did a quick google on timing, but I bought now because my gut tells me this is as low as Total Studio maxgrade pricing will go. There'll probably be a few group buys and sales on SE products after a year though.

Well, there is a lot there to disagree with, and I don't necessarily think you're wrong, but by God you're a handsome young fella'   

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, abacab said:

Here is a list of what's included. Just run through it to see what you are missing... unless you have forgotten what you already have, LOL!

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/ts3/index.php?p=whatsincluded

Missing quite a bit - but there's very few I actually want. But the ones I do want would likely cost more than the $69.99 which makes this bundle price very appealing.

But ya, I have an elaborate Excel sheet to keep track of plugins and instruments for the studio lol. This shit gets totally out of hand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jason Neudorf said:

Yep if you haven't bought a lot from IK previously, but qualified for the maxgrade, this is a great deal.

• Like 1

I think I'm missing only FAME Studio Reverb and TASCAM Tape Collection, and I'm in no hurry to get either.

Two things to remember, though:

1. Historically, if you already have TS MAX it has been cheaper to upgrade to a newer version of TS MAX than to participate in group buys.
  2. But since my TS MAX is version 2.0, I don't have an upgrade path anymore. Maxgrade offers like this are my only option.

Decisions, decisions...

11 hours ago, kitekrazy said:

It's become really bloated and the library structure is not like Kontakt.

I don't think there's a simple way to delete what you don't use.

Sad but true!

There's a lot of stuff in ST4 MAX that I will never use, taking up a HUGE chunk of disk space. I'm referring to the core ST4 MAX factory libraries, not the extra single instrument libraries for ST4.

I would pay extra for a way to pick and choose exactly what to install.  ;)

1 hour ago, abacab said:

Sad but true!

There's a lot of stuff in ST4 MAX that I will never use, taking up a HUGE chunk of disk space. I'm referring to the core ST4 MAX factory libraries, not the extra single instrument libraries for ST4.

I would pay extra for a way to pick and choose exactly what to install.  ;)

It's not hard to do.   I removed all the SampleTank stuff I'm not using.

But... it will be a bit of work if I ever upgrade. 

Essentially when you install SampleTank it puts in all the instruments.  But that's just links.  You have to then install the content so it links to something.   But it's not hard to remove the various files from the installation and the content.    I moved them over to a backup drive in case I ever wanted them back.  It takes a little time to figure it  out, but the result for me was a much more useful and less bloated SampleTank.   For example, I don't like to have the Syntronik stuff there. 

When you add new instruments, it adds the ST links and the content at the same time.  So I don't think I'll have issues if I add content, but if I update SampleTank I will have to do everything all over again. 

1 minute ago, Reid Rosefelt said:

I don't want to hack the install. I just wish IK would improve the install process to make the content selectable. Much easier!

• Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

On 11/11/2022 at 9:36 AM, Reid Rosefelt said:

Essentially when you install SampleTank it puts in all the instruments.  But that's just links.  You have to then install the content so it links to something.   But it's not hard to remove the various files from the installation and the content.    I moved them over to a backup drive in case I ever wanted them back.  It takes a little time to figure it  out, but the result for me was a much more useful and less bloated SampleTank.   For example, I don't like to have the Syntronik stuff there. 

When you add new instruments, it adds the ST links and the content at the same time.  So I don't think I'll have issues if I add content, but if I update SampleTank I will have to do everything all over again. 

I would like to see a video on how to do this.  I could probably figure it out bur is seems like a hassle.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kitekrazy said:

I would like to see a video on how to do this.  I could probably figure it out bur is seems like a hassle.

Or maybe just a "de-crapifier" macro, where you just check what you want to keep, and it auto deletes the rest. :)

1 hour ago, kitekrazy said:

I did think about making a video, but it was a big PITA to do.  I also didn't mention that there was one library I wanted to put in that I couldn't.  I think it was Orchestral Percussion.    As I couldn't make it work completely, I didn't feel comfortable giving advice. 

Anyway, now I've forgotten exactly how I did it.  😀

But I'm happy to not have a hard drive filled up with stuff I'll never use.  I don't know about all of you, but I find IK installation so convoluted that I often end up with duplicate installations.  This took care of that. 

I suppose that if I get Total Studio 4, I mad have to go through the whole exercise again. 

• Like 1

One thing that really gripes me about SampleTank 4 MAX is the amount and size of the bundled generic "Synths" category instruments, at 21GB. Totally redundant if you also have Syntronik MAX, which is a whopping 176GB.

Not to mention 13GB of ST4 acoustic drum kits. I've got plenty of drum alternatives, including MODO.

The guitars and acoustic pianos I can live with at 45GB for each category, as they are generally very high quality. I've also got SampleTank 3 installed, at 154GB. Those instruments were not replaced by ST4, with 55GB of that ST3 footprint devoted to Miroslav Philharmonik. Most of the other sample banks in ST3 are rather small in comparison.

• Like 2

I was interested in the MAXgrade offer... I have a lot of IK individual products, probably the contents of multiple MAX collections, and Miroslav2 (which was eligible for the MAXgrade some time ago) . I wrote their support to ask if they could convert my licenses to a MAX license, so I could buy the MAXgrade to TS. They answered me pretty fast,  with a copy-paste message of the current deals and the fact that JAMpoints could be used.

I wrote them back that the full price doesn't make sense to me, as I already have to so much, and that JAMpoints don't really help, because their webshop adds VAT on top  of the price (24% VAT vs max. 30% off with Jampoints). For a new customer the price is pretty great, no doubt.

The only thing they can do is add some more JAMpoints to my account (already have 207...)

Well, I don't NEED to give them my money - at least I tried!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1