Affinity V2 launch - 40% discounts

Brian Walton

1 hour ago, pseudopop said:

What stings me the most is that I don't need Publisher and I don't need the iOS versions. I'm opposed to paying for stuff I don't need and I feel like I'm railroaded into buying the universal license, instead of being given a reasonable upgrade path.

The universal license is certainly a good deal, if you are a new customer. Upgrading two products for (practically) the same price as a new customer gets the full package is not a good deal, IMO.

I will probably get the universal license to support Serif and because I do need these tools occasionally, but I will crumble audibly about people not valuing existing customers anymore while logging in to PayPal.

Same for me.

I bought all three products for use in Windows some years ago but hardly ever use Publisher and Designer.

I will probably just go for the Photo upgrade and agree that it's a shame there isn't a reduced upgrade price for v1 users.
I still need to convince myself that I need the new features; back to watching video reviews of v2.

I don't do a lot of design. Actually, I don't do design at all. I don't count adding text to an image to be design. So for a non-advanced user like myself, I don't know what would be the benefit of upgrading. I don't feel like watching hours of upgrade videos. Can someone here explain what the key upgrade features are?

10 minutes ago, daveiv said:

I didn't know you couldn't vector warp (shows how much I will miss that function). Seems weird that you couldn't. I mean, 90s WordArt could do that. Am i missing something here?

1 hour ago, Nick Blanc said:

I didn't know you couldn't vector warp (shows how much I will miss that function). Seems weird that you couldn't. I mean, 90s WordArt could do that. Am i missing something here?

You could warp, of course, but the new tool is non-destructive, so you can add/remove and adjust it like a filter FX.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, daveiv said:

On a second thought, what Affinity doing is still amazing.

I checked my order history. Looks like I bough Designer in 2017, and Photo in 2018. I have been enjoying new versions for 5 years without paying a dime. They will still be getting bug fixes. That's generous.

In 6 years, Waves would make me sell my both kidneys, so they can work on a new Windows install. I've just logged into my Waves account, and they actually ask $240 to upgrade my licenses that I bought in 2021. I got Kontakt 6 last year, and NI now wants another $100 for the new version. Several other audio software companies making me pay every year for new versions, because they abandon the old version with all the bugs.

So, $100 for all the new desktop and mobile apps from Affinity... is just great. They will be adding new features (and maybe new apps) for years. I won't upgrade anytime soon because 1.x does the job, but I decided to revoke my complain already. :)

You lost me when you tried to compare Affinity to one of the worst "treat customers like garbage offenders" in the software development world.  

Affinity got the customer base they did becuase of great pricing, unlimited authorization for computers you own (off-line authorization is removed as an option in this new release), good tools, etc.  

I tested the new version for 10 minutes and already found things they removed.  

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

I tested the new version for 10 minutes and already found things they removed.  

No offline activation anymore? That sucks. I'm actually on my way to switch from Affinity Designer to Inkscape.

What else is gone?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

Having publisher allows instant switching between Designer and Photo.  Even if you don't work with layouts that integration can be a major benefit.  

What words should I google to learn more about this feature?

1 hour ago, abacab said:

The only Affinity product that I have is Affinity Photo 1.

My price for Photo 2 is $40.99. Is there any compelling reason to update to Photo 2?

I heard there won't be any updates for v1 anymore. No bug fixes, security patches, OS compatibility updates, etc. If you're on Mac that's a pretty compelling reason, I guess.

6 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

I heard there won't be any updates for v1 anymore. No bug fixes, security patches, OS compatibility updates, etc. If you're on Mac that's a pretty compelling reason, I guess.

No updates means that's actually a compelling reason for me to drop it hard!

I have other photo editors, raw developers, photo catalogs, and graphics and paint tools. I only picked Affinity up at v1 because it was a good deal at $24.99, and appeared to offer something fresh. But I never really found a good use for it. I also have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020, Adobe Lightroom 6 (perpetual), Corel Painter 2022, Paintshop Pro 2022, Aftershot Pro 3, & CorelDraw Graphics Suite 2019. And a nearly dead early version of Photoshop 6 that still runs on a Windows XP virtual machine.

59 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

What words should I google to learn more about this feature?

Try looking for Studio Link. That is what they call the feature.  You open an image or document and click on the designer or photo icon and are instantly switched to that other app (a few of the features are missing with this workflow vs opening the single app but not that many.  The switch is crazy fast.  If you have ever done that integrated switch between adobe illustrator and Photoshop the load time is going to blow your mind.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, abacab said:

No updates means that's actually a compelling reason for me to drop it hard!

I have other photo editors, raw developers, photo catalogs, and graphics and paint tools. I only picked Affinity up at v1 because it was a good deal at $24.99, and appeared to offer something fresh. But I never really found a good use for it. I also have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2020, Adobe Lightroom 6 (perpetual), Corel Painter 2022, Paintshop Pro 2022, Aftershot Pro 3, & CorelDraw Graphics Suite 2019. And a nearly dead early version of Photoshop 6 that still runs on a Windows XP virtual machine.

Affinity v1 offers something different than all those when working with photos.  Paint shop Pro 2022 would be the closest in feature set.

But if you are not a photographer that does "Photoshop" type of edits the features and workflow might not be of value to you.

I have all those apps to but never use the others, everyone has different needs and most of those listed including affinity take a lot of dedicated time to make them of any real value.

1 hour ago, Brian Walton said:

But if you are not a photographer that does "Photoshop" type of edits the features and workflow might not be of value to you.

Actually I fall more into the photographer type of user, rather than graphic design. Instead of Photoshop style pixel editing, I have more need for digital darkroom  tools.

I guess if there was an area of photography that I would really be interested in exploring deeper beyond developing and adjusting from RAW, it would be with focus stacking, exposure stacking, and HDR. I have an older model DSLR that only has exposure bracketing, and none of that other new-fangled stuff in-camera, so I'm in manual territory in that regard... :)

Edited by abacab

2 minutes ago, abacab said:

Actually I fall more into the photographer type of user, rather than graphic design. Instead of Photoshop style pixel editing, I have more need for digital darkroom  tools.

I guess if there was an area of photography that I would really be interested in exploring deeper beyond developing and adjusting from RAW, it would be with focus stacking, exposure stacking, and HDR.

Affinity does all 3 of those things (with various compentencies).

Better Dark Room tools would be Capture One.  That said, I think that dark room development for most pros is a combo of both RAW development and processing with at Pixel editor.  Even though C1 is more powerful than LR, just about every pro I know (including myself) still uses a pixel editor for some manipulation functions even if it isn't what most would look at for "photoshop" work.  

1 minute ago, Brian Walton said:

Affinity does all 3 of those things (with various compentencies).

Better Dark Room tools would be Capture One.  That said, I think that dark room development for most pros is a combo of both RAW development and processing with at Pixel editor.  Even though C1 is more powerful than LR, just about every pro I know (including myself) still uses a pixel editor for some manipulation functions even if it isn't what most would look at for "photoshop" work.  

Lightroom 6 + Photoshop Elements combo have met my needs for 10 years. I have tried other tools and they just haven't clicked for me. I'm not a pro, and don't have a pro budget. But I have owned a camera since I was a kid, including several film SLR's, and developed my first roll of b&w film in a makeshift darkroom at home in the early  1970's.

3 minutes ago, abacab said:

Lightroom 6 + Photoshop Elements combo have met my needs for 10 years. I have tried other tools and they just haven't clicked for me. I'm not a pro, and don't have a pro budget. But I have owned a camera since I was a kid, including several film SLR's, and developed my first roll of b&w film in a makeshift darkroom at home in the early  1970's.

If you shoot Sony, Nikon or Fuji there is a free version of Capture One Express you can use.  Of course it lacks layers and some of the very high end adjustment tools of the pro version.  That said I'd take it over LR6.  

• Thanks 1