Affinity V2 launch - 40% discounts

Brian Walton

Photo, Publisher, Desiger

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

While not audio related, I think there are a number of us using such apps for marketing, design, pormotion work related to our music creation.

Disapointed they don't have an additional loyalty upgrade, but we are seeing V2 coming with a new higher price structure, but advantages for those that use both MAC and PC.  As for me, that wasn't a perk.  At least they didn't go the subscription route.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, daveiv said:

$100 for three cross-platform apps is a pretty good deal, but I wish they'd give me some upgrade discount.

Agreed. I was expecting some sort of upgrade discount but eh, $99 for all 3 is a really good discount in itself and I'm not worried about what others are paying, really. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TerraSin said:

Agreed. I was expecting some sort of upgrade discount but eh, $99 for all 3 is a really good discount in itself and I'm not worried about what others are paying, really. :)

Agreed. Plus you actually get to keep the software instead of renting it.

Still wish they had come out with an After Effects competitor... but who knows...

1 minute ago, Daniel Hulse said:

Agreed. Plus you actually get to keep the software instead of renting it.

Still wish they had come out with an After Effects competitor... but who knows...

I was hoping for a Lightroom style photo organizer as well.

6 minutes ago, Nick Blanc said:

I was hoping upgrades were free. I seem to remember something like that. Or did they circumvent this by releasing a version 2?

They mentioned that you'd get free upgrades through the life of the version. Their intention was always paid version upgrades though. Plus, V1 was going strong for 7 years before they did this upgrade to v2. That's a good long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, daveiv said:

$100 for three cross-platform apps is a pretty good deal, but I wish they'd give me some upgrade discount.

Indeed, they basically jacked up the rates and then offered a "40% discount" on release and no "upgrade" discount.

I have loved and supported Affinity but this is one of the only things they have don't that I just don't agree with the approach.

Each app was $50 for years at full MSRP.  The new apps are now $70 MSRP but they are providing a limited time "discount" and all users get the same pricing even if they own V1 of all the apps.   

It would be different if the new features were mindblowing, but in general it just feels like what we would have seen with incremental upgrades that we did't get over the last 18 months.  Lack of content aware AI of any kind is a glowing omission given the advancements Adobe, Skylum, and On1 made in the last two years....Affinity didn't offer anything and that stuff transforms workflows.  

The embedded adjust after the fact RAW stuff would be interesting if the RAW engine was overhauled to be competitive with C1 or LR but it isn't on that level.  

I'll buy it, but the anticipation I had for v2 was a let down due to the cost vs feature ratio.  If they had the AI selections and that sort of advancement then the new pricing strucutre would make sense for an upgrade cost.  

As it is, basically it is a full re-purchase of the trio of apps to get a few current and then the promise of unknown future updates until v3.  I was expecting about $20 per app "upgrade" pricing.  That seems in line with previous pricing structures and general business practices.  I think more people should call them out on the "rate hike" that went along with this release.

For brand new users, $99 seems reasonble for the entire suite, it just stings for v1 owners of everything.

Edited by Brian Walton
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Brian Walton said:

For brand new users, $99 seems reasonble for the entire suite, it just stings for v1 owners of everything.

On a second thought, what Affinity doing is still amazing.

I checked my order history. Looks like I bough Designer in 2017, and Photo in 2018. I have been enjoying new versions for 5 years without paying a dime. They will still be getting bug fixes. That's generous.

In 6 years, Waves would make me sell my both kidneys, so they can work on a new Windows install. I've just logged into my Waves account, and they actually ask $240 to upgrade my licenses that I bought in 2021. I got Kontakt 6 last year, and NI now wants another $100 for the new version. Several other audio software companies making me pay every year for new versions, because they abandon the old version with all the bugs.

So, $100 for all the new desktop and mobile apps from Affinity... is just great. They will be adding new features (and maybe new apps) for years. I won't upgrade anytime soon because 1.x does the job, but I decided to revoke my complain already. :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

That "limited time discount" for all 3 should at least be perpetually held for owners of V1 when one considers there is no upgrade price for same? 

That would make sense. But I'm pretty sure it's going to be available for this amount and probably less going down the road. For people using their products professionally, it's a no-brainer purchase, as is. For the rest - and most of their existing/future customers, it's a value proposition, so they'll inevitably continue to try to get it out to as many people as they can via sales (just as with v1). I'm in the second category; I'm sure I'll get it at some point, but I don't feel any urgency (i.e. v1 satisfies my needs just fine without the new, admittedly significant, features). 

• Like 1

What stings me the most is that I don't need Publisher and I don't need the iOS versions. I'm opposed to paying for stuff I don't need and I feel like I'm railroaded into buying the universal license, instead of being given a reasonable upgrade path.

The universal license is certainly a good deal, if you are a new customer. Upgrading two products for (practically) the same price as a new customer gets the full package is not a good deal, IMO.

I will probably get the universal license to support Serif and because I do need these tools occasionally, but I will crumble audibly about people not valuing existing customers anymore while logging in to PayPal.

Edited by pseudopop
tyop
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, pseudopop said:

What stings me the most is that I don't need Publisher and I don't need the iOS versions. I'm opposed to paying for stuff I don't need and I feel like I'm railroaded into buying the universal license, instead of being given a reasonable upgrade path.

The universal license is certainly a good deal, if you are a new customer. Upgrading two products for (practically) the same price as a new customer gets the full package is not a good deal, IMO.

I will probably get the universal license to support Serif and because I do need these tools occasionally, but I will crumble audibly about people not valuing existing customers anymore while logging in to PayPal.

Having publisher allows instant switching between Designer and Photo.  Even if you don't work with layouts that integration can be a major benefit.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1