If you could only have "ONE PLUGIN" which one?

whoisp

If you could only have ONE PLUGIN which one would you have. 

I always use Verb, you can't do without it, its natural, but so is saturation and harmonics with compression attack and dely...  Some things you may need in home studio like melodyne and Ozone 9, i even use Ozone 9 on all my bus with its great EG, subtle comp and trans

Man this really is a tough one, ive always said plugin companies have missed a trick about all-in-one channel strips, even most current vocal strips don't have Verb.  You know like a vocal stirp with EQ, SAT, COMP, VERB, DELAY, DE-ESSER NOISE GATE and STEREO WIDTH.  Replicate with a Guitar Strip, a Bass Stirp, KEY Stripe DRUM strip and MASTER strip you just got a market for beginner's and even pros or sell to any DAW to be built in....

One plugin what would i have, i probably use Ozone 9 the most and can get away with stock in cakewalk to do rest but i am still looking for a good vocal strip 

5 minutes ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Only one? Probably none, so I can use the DAW's included plugins instead. Sometimes I feel we are chasing silver bullet plugins when we should be chasing better mixing skills...

Totally understand, Cakewalk stock reverb, saturation and EQ are second to none. The Sonitus multiband, delay and Compressor etcare enough but old and lacking to a point. i do feel CB lacks with stock limiting, compressing flexibility, full saturation harmonics, the noise gate reduction for de-esser and buzz etc is very limited much of these are not just about mixing but i totally get what you saying and you can't beat a good tune, hook, riff and melody

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Oh, and PSP Vintage Warmer for me (thanks Doc!) 👍

I notice PSP Vintage Warmer 2 been taken off plugin boutique and you now have to buy it direct at full price. Friend users it and the boost when you level match is impressive, it really does bring out the texture. To get that same Fat warm sound, i use a Vintage tube sat along side Softube Drawmer S73 compressor.

I find the Softube stuff have very warm analogue vibe which i do like. Drawmer S73 compressor as a good level match and they do a old school Tube Delay which is awesome for colour if you ever get chance it use it, i would recommend. I'm always using different  compressors 

• Great Idea 1

funny/lol,  I had the hardware Drawmer Multiband (Fet) compressor, and also their DL251 compressor.

both Drawmers had the nicest 'box' sound of any hardware I ever had, including pro and mastering grade fe. Elysia, BAX and a Sontec Mastering EQ by Custom Audio Germany,  SKnote, TK audio etc.(of which really I could only recommend the Drawmers, My BAX pushed the stereo image a a bit to the front, made it sound more 'mono'.....which can be useful but not ideal for a mastering EQ).

The Elysia compressor and EQ sounded good and clean, but imo no improvement over a VST.

Great they could include that Drwamer 73 Fet  warmth in the software versions.

For recording defenitely Drawmer 1973 would be my first choice to run any tracks through, even without setting a lot of compression but just for the box tone. 

The DL251 (VCA compressor) worked really well on a bus with the link knob off, in RMS mode.

eh...my one VST would be Amplitube just so I can play ACDC 'TNT' with a realistic 70s  Malcolm/Angus sound

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

When I read the thread title, I took it as literally one plugin. If that were the case, it would have to be an EQ. Everything else you can do with painstaking automation.

But now that I realize the OP meant "third-party plugin", and presumably does not include virtual instruments, then my answer would be Ozone. (Although technically if you use Ozone Advanced, that's actually a bundle of, iirc, 21 plugins.)

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Sheens said:

funny/lol,  I had the hardware Drawmer Multiband (Fet) compressor, and also their DL251 compressor.

both Drawmers had the nicest 'box' sound of any hardware I ever had, including pro and mastering grade fe. Elysia, BAX and a Sontec Mastering EQ by Custom Audio Germany,  SKnote, TK audio etc.(of which really I could only recommend the Drawmers, My BAX pushed the stereo image a a bit to the front, made it sound more 'mono'.....which can be useful but not ideal for a mastering EQ).

The Elysia compressor and EQ sounded good and clean, but imo no improvement over a VST.

Great they could include that Drwamer 73 Fet  warmth in the software versions.

For recording defenitely Drawmer 1973 would be my first choice to run any tracks through, even without setting a lot of compression but just for the box tone. 

The DL251 (VCA compressor) worked really well on a bus with the link knob off, in RMS mode.

eh...my one VST would be Amplitube just so I can play ACDC 'TNT' with a realistic 70s  Malcolm/Angus sound

I keep meaning to try the free version of  Amplitube, i think you get quite a few sounds to test but i have stand alone boss i use and the cakewalk TH3 i get by with. I like some of the sounds evanescence and linkin park have. 

Yes the SoftTube who do the Drawmer73 plugin have a great sound and the SoftTube Tube Delay they do you can use for that grit or saturation, all their gear as the vintage analog vibe i like. 

Black Friday coming up, i am tempted to see whats going to be at a must have price haha

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bitflipper said:

When I read the thread title, I took it as literally one plugin. If that were the case, it would have to be an EQ. Everything else you can do with painstaking automation.

But now that I realize the OP meant "third-party plugin", and presumably does not include virtual instruments, then my answer would be Ozone. (Although technically if you use Ozone Advanced, that's actually a bundle of, iirc, 21 plugins.)

I use Ozone 9 elements and i am considering the upgrade to advanced, is it worth it? 

I tried a lot of amp sims, incl THU and Bias FX, Podfarm, Guitarrig 4

Imo THU has nicer cabinet and reverb sounds than Amplitube,  BIAS FX sounded really brittle but it all depends on your setup/input I guess, Bias FX has great reviews so probably my setup is not ideal for it.

Amplitube has the most realistic 70's ACDC like tone/sound for my rig I found, but maybe for metal THU would be better...

There's probably many other great sounding amp sims out there :)

Edited by Sheens
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, whoisp said:

I use Ozone 9 elements and i am considering the upgrade to advanced, is it worth it? 

Since there are no Ozone 10 elements there is no direct upgrade and going to Ozone standard or advanced any version would be an upgrade in itself.

Edit: oops, didn't read your post carefully enough! 🙂 Since you can download a trial version, I would download it, try it on a mix that you have done with elements and see if there is enough difference for the cash hole these will put in your pocket. Your ears will tell you for sure!

Edited by Jacques Boileau
  • Like 1

I guess I'd be cheating if I chose Melda Production's MXXX 😉

But in truth, if I had access to all of Cakewalk's stock-plugins  - actually even if I was just restricted to the ProChannel modules - my one 3rd party plugin would be Kazrog's TrueIron.

For me, nothing comes closer to getting that "I recorded this analog" sound.

• Like 3

LOL, yeah, I was just getting ready to mention MXXX in response to Bit's message about Ozone being 21 plugins. Ozone Advanced is sort of a cheat since they can be separated. MXXX is the bigger cheat, since it is a shell and will embed synths if you own them.

Ozone would be my vote as well if someone was going to focus on just one plugin (for purchase), with Melodyne a close second. Both were already mentioned above.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Since there are no Ozone 10 elements there is no direct upgrade and going to Ozone standard or advanced any version would be an upgrade in itself.

Edit: oops, didn't read your post carefully enough! 🙂 Since you can download a trial version, I would download it, try it on a mix that you have done with elements and see if there is enough difference for the cash hole these will put in your pocket. Your ears will tell you for sure!

Ozone 10 Advanced Crossgrade from any paid iZotope product (including Elements) from £471 to £265 but black friday could be cheaper. Stick on wish list and see if they tempt me lol

• Like 1