Name your most underrated singer and/or guitarist! (lesser known bands/artists)

hockeyjx

I was having a discussion with some friends about this, and we like primarily rock/metal, so these are choices for my underrated singer and guitarist:

Singer: Ray Gillen, the 1st Bandlands album really showed off his range.
Guitarist: Paul Di Bartolo from a little-known band called Spread Eagle. The guitar solos and just so fluid and unique to me. Solo about at the 4:20 mark.

Edited by hockeyjx
  • Like 1

Can I include a fellow bassist . . . ? I think Molly Hatchet"s original bassist, Banner Thomas is way underrated. Check out the tone and licks in this isolated bass track from "Flirtin' with Disaster" So deep and rich with such clear highs. I'm currently playing in a Molly Tribute band and still can't quite capture this . . .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hockeyjx said:

I was having a discussion with some friends about this, and we like primarily rock/metal, so these are choices for my underrated singer and guitarist:

Singer: Ray Gillen, the 1st Bandlands album really showed off his range.
Guitarist: Paul Di Bartolo from a little-known band called Spread Eagle. The guitar solos and just so fluid and unique to me. Solo about at the 4:20 mark.

Agreed about Gillen.

I believe that there's a version of Sabbath's The Eternal Idol with him on vocals. I should be looking into this. I love that record.

Tony Martin, the guy who replaced him, is also overlooked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grem said:

Glenn Hughes.  With Trapeze he was great. Very emotional singer.  With Deep Purple on  "Come Taste The Band" and "Storm Bringer" 

The Black Country Communion debut is SO good. Amazed that dude is 71. He sang a song on George Lynch's Sacred Groove that was solid.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Grem said:

Glenn Hughes.  With Trapeze he was great. Very emotional singer.  With Deep Purple on  "Come Taste The Band" and "Storm Bringer" 

I was thinking of him when I mentionned Sabbath. Incredible singer. 

I am also a huge fan of his work with Deep Purple. Speaking of which, I guess I should also mention Tommy Bolin, one of my favorite rock guitarists of that era.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

Kirk Hammett.

Oh, you said under-rated 😊

You know, I grew up a Metallica fan, and he somewhat seems like a cool guy, so I tried to like Kirk's playing, But I get a tooth ache every time I hear him. His vibrato is so weird and all over the place, it just kills me. And that's just one thing...

Ultimately he is one of my biggest influences - I listen to him and go: this is exactly how not to play.

Edited by Rain
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Rain said:

You know, I grew up a Metallica fan, and he somewhat seems like a cool guy, so I tried to like Kirk's playing, But I get a tooth ache every time I hear him. His vibrato is so weird and all over the place, it just kills me. And that's just one thing...

Ultimately he is one of my biggest influences - I listen to him and go: this is exactly how not to play.

I do enjoy listening to Metallica now and again Krist, but I never really understood how they became arguably the biggest metal band out there. And for me, Megadeth has made many far better records.

Then again, I am a big Iron Maiden fan, but I don't rate them as highly as fellow Uk-ers Priest, Saxon or Motorhead.

Other points re Metallica:

• James and Kirk do work well together for sure
  • Lars seems to be quite an unlikable individual
  • The best musician in the band has always been the bass player

12 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

I do enjoy listening to Metallica now and again Krist, but I never really understood how they became arguably the biggest metal band out there. And for me, Megadeth has made many far better records.

Then again, I am a big Iron Maiden fan, but I don't rate them as highly as fellow Uk-ers Priest, Saxon or Motorhead.

Other points re Metallica:

• James and Kirk do work well together for sure
  • Lars seems to be quite an unlikable individual
  • The best musician in the band has always been the bass player

Disagree with point 3 COMPLETELY. Not only does James do the primary writing and lyrics, but his playing while singing is UNBEATABLE. Mega Dave is good too, he just sings falsetto, thus a little easier in my book.

Kirk was his best on Master of Puppets IMO, as he wasn't a co-dependent on his wah as much. And to your point @SteveStrummerUK, James and Kirk do work well together and balance each other out.

• Like 1