BFD3 for $49 (expired) - now Apple Silicon native!

jngnz

1 hour ago, daveiv said:

I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries.

My (lack of) free disk space usually helps me with this one :)

• Great Idea 1
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Spice3d said:

Seems BFD was acquired by inMusic Brands a couple years ago. Maybe a v4 is around the corner. Also, I wonder if FXpansion will give Geist more development. Feels like it has been all but abandoned. 

I call that a contradiction.

The authorization is also glitchy.

I will probably delete it off my system if space is ever needed.  With AD2, ESD2, Komplete and of course that whopping M Drummer I think don't think I need it.  I bought it when it was $49.

On 11/8/2022 at 8:27 PM, Marc Cormier said:

Best sounding drums - to my ear.   If there were more workflow tools like EZD3 in BFD3 (and more stability), I would never have made the move to Toontrack.  V 3.4.4.31 is rock-steady on my system, though.

To my ears they are the best sounding as well. I’ve unfortunately never been able to get the InMusic version working right. Every time I thought I had a breakthrough, something else would go wrong. Haven’t tried the .31 version, but I’ve already spent so much time trying to get this right…..For me, it worked well when under FXpansion , and Ive actually kept that old version on a backup computer.

• Like 1

Trust me...I was nearly done with them as well but the latest release talked me off the edge.  I would still be using it today if they weren't being innovated around.  I sent them a note ages ago about how they had an ecosystem already built between their kits, Drum Drops, and Platinum Samples but failed in every way to unify the pieces.  I still hope for better days for BFD3 and have used SD3 to build a drum track that would eventually be mapped to BFD3 but its too much work to do that consistently.  But damn do they sound good, and the latest - Dark Farm - is no exception.  $43 for BFD3 at Thomann makes me happy for someone who doesn't have it yet.

Edited by Marc Cormier
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 7:00 PM, daveiv said:

I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries.

I shouldn't buy more drums, I shouldn't buy more drums.. et al. OOps... too late :)

• Haha 2

I bought BFD version 1 way back in the 90s. It was by far the most realistic drum program out there. What I loved about it was that the sound you got was 'clean', like studio kits, so perfect for indie guitar artists such as myself. And the sample rate in Vers 1 was higher than in the later versions. I would have continued with BFD 1 indefinitely except that system requirements and new version of Windows made it too glitchy to use reliably (shame really).

Over the years bedroom musicians have become less interested in that 'clean' studio sound - they want their drum loops ready to drop into a mix straight out the box. The old school of lovingly tweaking the snare sound and gating the bass and drums seems to have gone the way of the Dodo. I think it's for this reason BFD fell behind in the market. Their base of users were either getting old (like myself) or being replaced with younger kids who treat drumming like finger painting. They tried to keep up with innovations such as Geist, but they were always playing catch-up at that point.

That said, I did jump in and upgrade to BFD 3 when InMusic offered the upgrade deal. It was a very good deal at the time (included 3 drum kits for free too). Like others, I went through the painful installation and registration nightmare. The pain that every time I opened it, I kept having to register it again and again and again. In their favour, they did release an update that resolved some of those issues. However, I rarely find myself reaching for BFD 3. Simply because it's a bit fiddly. The interface is not as intuitive as BFD 1, the indexing system is not easy to navigate.  It's a shame really because it is a great piece of kit with a lot of power.

Maybe this thread has inspired me to give it another shot.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LAGinz said:

To my ears they are the best sounding as well.

On 11/8/2022 at 12:22 PM, Cookie Jarvis said:

nothing else impresses me much.

7 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

What I loved about it was that the sound you got was 'clean', like studio kits

yep, 'clean" = as in very well recorded. AD2 (that came with Sonar?) was pretty meh for my taste and the SD3 kits always felt like I had to scrape off a layer of processing before getting to the real drum sound. have yet to find anything else even worth considering... hopefully they'll survive their self inflicted strategy. $49 is a real deal imho.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JT music said:

In PB it costs $49

yes - but I said £36.95 (in UK money) - depending on country and exchange rate I then said "It might work out cheaper for some"

If I bought at today's exchange rate from ADSR for example it would cost around £43 (ish) 

PB is one of the few, if not the only retail store that unfortunately works with different currency exchanges and with a marked exchange difference between them, here, from South America, purchases in retail stores anywhere in Europe or another continent charge us at the same currency exchange everywhere, that on the other hand today the official exchange between dollar, euro and pound have very little difference....

On 11/16/2022 at 11:27 AM, cclarry said:

This. This is Larry's super power. Someone posts a deal and Larry bests it with another store or code. It's why, even when I see a great deal someone posts that tempts me, I always want to give it a little time to see if Larry is going to post an even better deal. And I  learned to do this after buying right after someone posted a deal, only to find Larry later posted an even better deal. It's like a sixth sense he has -- deal radar. It's a thing, I'm telling you! 

10 minutes ago, fret_man said:

BFD expansions are also on 50% sale now:

should know better than to check this forum... but does anybody have The Black Album Drums?

not using it for metal, looking for a kit with decent top and bottom tom mics.  the demos aren't helpful and asked on the BFD forum as well. there's only 1 or 2 other kits that even offer this, but the bottom mics don't sound anything like what I'm used to.