BFD3 for $49 (expired) - now Apple Silicon native!

jngnz

You can get a glimpse of what's in Jazz & Funk here: https://reverb.com/item/38175316-fxpansion-bfd-jazz-and-funk-collection-expansion-pack-for-fxpansion-s-bfd

I also found Jazz & Funk at https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/product/bfd-jazz-and-funk/ but it's the same sale as what's on BFD;s website.

I find it so strange that Jazz & Funk and Percussion aren't available at any of the discounters.

Finally, if anyone wants a 2nd chance at a Zildjan expansion, JRRShop's reverb store has one for $127. https://reverb.com/item/34744198-fxpansion-bfd-zildjian-dv-2

Edited by fret_man
added links
  • Thanks 1

So yeah, I invested fairly heavily in this so called broken software, because I couldn't see how or where exactly it's broken, but now I guess I can...

This is what happened randomly with like 82 days left until the next scheduled check:

1261446119_Screenshot2022-11-27at22_19_16.png.2dd43631783f2d0e8413672ebc2dcd26.png

And now BFD is not loading any samples anymore and I can't use $250 worth of software.

• Sad 5

18 hours ago, Jan Schmitz said:

So yeah, I invested fairly heavily in this so called broken software, because I couldn't see how or where exactly it's broken, but now I guess I can...

This is what happened randomly with like 82 days left until the next scheduled check:

1261446119_Screenshot2022-11-27at22_19_16.png.2dd43631783f2d0e8413672ebc2dcd26.png

And now BFD is not loading any samples anymore and I can't use $250 worth of software.

It is users like Jan sharing experiences that has kept me from buying BFD3, and I own BFD Eco, so the upgrade pricing has been $49USD for a long time for me. I can hear that drum libraries sound very good -- without a doubt -- but my concern is about the software itself. InMotion has a history of buying long neglected software brands and making their  software a lot worse (i,e, AIR), I have experienced installing their software and doing rollbacks on two machines, I'm extremely hesitant to try them again even though the price for the software is very very low for the sample library quality.

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

That BFD forum is pretty depressing to read.

But if you have bought BFD3, it looks like you're eligible for a free expansion pack as "a gift for migrating to the InMusic servers". Your choices are:

• Crush
  • Oblivion
  • Horsepower
  • Jazz Noir
  • Metal Snares

Details here: BFD3 | Redeeming Your Free Expansion Pack

Also, three BFD expansions are available in another form in Chocolate Audio's Drum Particles collection, still available via Audio Plugin Deals for $69. (The counter shows zero but you can still add it to the shopping cart.) It uses Chocolate Audio's own Kontakt instrument, so you are of course missing the BFD interface and all that it brings, but personally I think CA's player looks  like it does the basics well enough, if you're not a drummer (YouTube walkthrough).

Drum Particles contains:

• The Black Album ($59 as BFD XP)
  • Modern Retro ($49)
  • Imperial ($49)
  • Contemporary Vintage (not available as a BFD xp, I think)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, pseudopop said:

That BFD forum is pretty depressing to read.

But if you have bought BFD3, it looks like you're eligible for a free expansion pack as "a gift for migrating to the InMusic servers". Your choices are:

• Crush
  • Oblivion
  • Horsepower
  • Jazz Noir
  • Metal Snares

Details here: BFD3 | Redeeming Your Free Expansion Pack

Thanks, I now have an additional library I can't use.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Jan Schmitz said:

Thanks, I now have an additional library I can't use.

I'm not denying that the current situation at BFD is a total car crash, not least because of the licensing mess,  but it is possible to get it working.

are you licenses still saying "not authorised" ?  

Shame to buy it, download it, install it and not actually get any use out of it.

16 hours ago, Jan Schmitz said:

I know it's frustrating but hang in there - there was a system update which made it more stable. I'm on build 3.4.4 build 29.

The License Manager is version 3.0.6.22

I can use this without having to check for updates for 82 days.

Are you using that build?

• Great Idea 1

On 11/22/2022 at 2:33 AM, fret_man said:

You can get a glimpse of what's in Jazz & Funk here: https://reverb.com/item/38175316-fxpansion-bfd-jazz-and-funk-collection-expansion-pack-for-fxpansion-s-bfd

I also found Jazz & Funk at https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/product/bfd-jazz-and-funk/ but it's the same sale as what's on BFD;s website.

I find it so strange that Jazz & Funk and Percussion aren't available at any of the discounters.

Finally, if anyone wants a 2nd chance at a Zildjan expansion, JRRShop's reverb store has one for $127. https://reverb.com/item/34744198-fxpansion-bfd-zildjian-dv-2

Be careful with these because the BFD fxpansion packs that came out wayyyyy back pre-2000 may not work with later versions of BFD (such as BFD 3).  I own the original BFD version 1 and none of its content works with BFD 3. The Jazz and Funk kit in the first link above is for BFD 1 (I recognize the engine). It's something to do with the authorization.

So if you're hoping to buy these kits to use in BFD 3, don't. They probably won't work.

https://fxpansion.com/support/faq/bfd2/

This from the link above:

"Is BFD2 backward compatible with all BFD1 data and expansion packs?

Yes - however, it's not a "drop in replacement" - songs and projects saved with BFD1 will still load with BFD1.

BFD1.x and BFD2 can co-exist on the same system. BFD2 will not interfere with any existing BFD1.x-based projects, and you can continue to use BFD 1.x as normal.

BFD2 is compatible with all audio and grooves in BFD1.x and all BFD-compatible expansion packs. BFD1.x presets can be imported into BFD2.

There are some systems in BFD2 which don't match BFD1's exactly - for example, the new mixer and signal processing engine has many elements which have no counterpart in BFD1; BFD2's groove engine uses a single unified groove palette spanning the entire keyboard instead of 3 separate octave-bundles.

BFD2 data is not compatibile with BFD1. Some kitpieces may play in BFD1, but BFD2 uses Mid/Side encoding for the room microphones, and allows 3 snare direct microphones, both of which are not supported in BFD1.

Any expansion packs that you want to use with BFD2 must be authorized in the FXpansion License Manager, which is installed with BFD2 and controls authorization of all new FXpansion products and any expansion packs in BFD2.

Your expansion packs (and BFD 1.x, if you intend to use the original BFD library sounds) need to be registered in the same user account as your BFD2 license. If you have ended up with multiple accounts for different products, please contact our technical support department to resolve the situation."

And this form the BFD 3 faq page: https://support.bfddrums.com/en/support/solutions/articles/69000801225-bfd3-frequently-asked-questions#I'm-having-problems-with-adding-expansion-packs-to-my-BFD3-installation---please-help?

"Will my BFD2 and expansion pack content work in BFD3?

Yes, however - the BFD2 and BFD 1.x libraries have been repackaged as BFD London Sessions and Eldorado respectively. Please reach out to s at www.bfddrums.com/support with your FXpansion serials and the email associated with your new inMusic account and we can get you that content. All other BFD-compatible expansion packs - are usable after they have been specified within BFD3's content locations (data paths). If you have already authorized your expansion packs for use on your system, you will not need to re-authorize them for use with BFD3.

I'm having problems with adding expansion packs to my BFD3 installation - please help?

Each content location can have either a /Data or /Audio sub-folder - not both.

If any of your specified content locations feature both a /Data and /Audio sub-folder, the easiest way to overcome the issue is to create a new folder elsewhere, move the /Audio folder to it, then add and activate the new folder as another content location.

If you are continuing to use BFD2 on your system to load older sessions, the new folder should also be added to your BFD2 data paths after which the database must be rescanned.

If in any doubt regarding this procedure, please contact our support team who will be happy to assist you."

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Thanks 1

Just to ram the point home @fret_man : this is on the InMusic facts page:

"How can I migrate my BFD1/2/Eco kits for use in BFD 3.4?

Factory Audio Content from BFD 1/2/Eco cannot be used with BFD 3.4; this audio content has been packaged as BFD El Dorado (for BFD 1) and BFD London Sessions (For BFD 2). "

So, do not buy those old expansion packs unless you own BFD 1 and never intend to update your OS because.....

"Please Note: If you change computers, or update your OS/Computer Components, you will lose access to BFD 1/2/Eco."

Edited by Philip G Hunt
  • Thanks 1

Just an observation. If you're easily bored, that's your sign to skip this! :) I can understand. It's merely my overly analytical nature sharing an observation that I think is worth sharing. It was inspired by Jan's sharing and the pleasant way people here reacted to it, even people who've had a different, more positive experience with the software he discussed. 

When I look at Jan sharing his user experience -- which is obviously not a happy user experience, but it's an honest user experience --his doing that is invaluable to folks like me who are considering purchasing the same drum plugin. Sharing positive user experiences are easy, because users who love a brand appreciate it and developers appreciate it. Sharing a negative experience is much more difficult because it can result in a negative reaction. It takes more nerve to do. But the truth is, sharing that negative experience is  AT LEAST as valuable -- and sometimes even more valuable -- than users sharing a good user experience. The value of Jan sharing that negative experience is really important to prospective buyers. It's a BFD (sorry, I couldn't resist) and that what makes this forum and community a BFD, differentiating it from communities like VI-Control, KVR and others that are not user-centric but developer-driven. That is, their revenue model relies on developers ad spending and that means the balance of power ends up very much on the ad spenders' side. Advertisers become prioritized over users in those environments. There's an old saying, 'If you're not paying for the product, you're the product." In these smaller online communities, there really isn't a strong focus on creating a healthy user experience  and community. The focus is often also subject to the philosophy, interest and quirks of the forum owner. So toxic elements may flourish and and a healthy user community is sacrificed. Polices and policy enforcement is the key here. At the Cakewalk forum, they prioritize user/consumer experience, so we can freely share our positive and negative experiences without concerns of retribution from a developer with a low threshold for criticism (unless someone was actually naïve enough to give an angry developer a link to a critical thread; but that's not even realistic; few people are actually that stupid..).  

Anyhow, this is probably a dry read and of little interest to most folks, but it is my overly analytical way of saying I really appreciate this community and how Bandlab and @Wookiee ensure this is a really healthy place where people get along very well. Even when people are grumpy to one another, they usually bounce back and find a way to get along again. So, even though we're past Thanksgiving here in the US, I wanted to give thanks to people here, like Jan, and a ton of others who have the guts to share their honest experiences good and bad. The folks at Bandlab (I know, it makes me look like a total schmoozer to write that, but look at the job they do keeping out of our way and keeping developers from having power over users) and our forum moderator, Wokiee deserve our gratitude -- both keep this forum thriving without our compensation or ads. Everyone here can see that Larry is really the basis of what powers the Deals forum. IMO, there's no way we'd all be here after the original Cakewalk company went out of business if not for @cclarry Larry's hard work. But it takes a combination of all them PLUS a community of really nice, well meaning and encouraging people to make this community what it is. That's why it's my favorite online music making community united by a common love of music making -- and sample and plugin hoarding. But let's pretend I just wrote music making, because that sounds much better, right? :)

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 2

These troubles with all the licensing stuff makes me sad! Everyone says they just want to protect their software, but in fact they do on the cost of the paying customers! The worst thing IMHO are those company specific authorization managers (like IK ...).

That's why I weight the authorization very high for my choice of music software nowadays! First are offline keys and auth files! Second I like more and more iLok based authorization, because it is simple and clear to use and with a dongle it is easy to apply on offline systems also (just bought SSD5.5, smooth and fast authorization on all of my systems).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, marled said:

These troubles with all the licensing stuff makes me sad! Everyone says they just want to protect their software, but in fact they do on the cost of the paying customers! The worst thing IMHO are those company specific authorization managers (like IK ...).

That's why I weight the authorization very high for my choice of music software nowadays! First are offline keys and auth files! Second I like more and more iLok based authorization, because it is simple and clear to use and with a dongle it is easy to apply on offline systems also (just bought SSD5.5, smooth and fast authorization on all of my systems).

That is the fundamental problem that occurs with every software brand that InMotion purchases and then makes unusable for much of their user base. They do tend to prioritize anti-piracy efforts over a great user experience. They need to spend more time getting things right. The problems I had with AIR plugins went on for around a year when they knew about it but never resolved the problems. InMotion is like Midas -- but in reverse. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/19/2022 at 3:48 PM, LAGinz said:

Yeah, that was one thing that worked for me, as well. Another thing that worked surprisingly well was getting a full and free copy of London Sessions (all of the core  BFD2 drums) because I was an owner of BFD Eco. Eco (no longer supported) contained only a rather limited portion of what was contained in London Sessions.

How did you get the London Sessions? I had BFD and I read somewhere that you can do a license transfer, but who do I need to contact for that, InMusic or Fxpansion?

Cheers

4 hours ago, Philip G Hunt said:

How did you get the London Sessions? I had BFD and I read somewhere that you can do a license transfer, but who do I need to contact for that, InMusic or Fxpansion?

most efficient way is to pm BFD_Drew @ InMusic on the BFD forum and provide your FXpansion sn to get a license for the London Sessions.