BFD3 for $49 (expired) - now Apple Silicon native!

jngnz

the interface is quite outdated, but the sound is amazing. It's very realistic in terms of articulations, resonance and swell and "humanizing"

The stock kits are very good, although it really shines with some of the add-ons (Oblivion, Metal Snares, Zildjian Digital Vault, Jazz Noir).

At that price is an absolute no-brainer!

4 minutes ago, Sergio said:

It looks that there's no error in the ad. They explicitly show how much you're saving:

was $ 329.00

Save $ 279.00 | Sale ends December 5th

I'm pretty sure that's just an automated calculation, but I could be wrong and they're cash cowing this hard before BFD4... Let's hope it pays off.

Thanks - I went ahead and bought this as I have been only using Session Drummer 3 and it seems there have been no updates/add-ons for a while and I'm guessing there will be none so maybe time to try a new drummer out. Decent price considering the normal cost

• Like 1

This is the same price for upgrading from BFD Eco, which I own, but frankly, if you check the various forums, including and especially BFD's own forum,  BFD3, which is more than 8 [edit: I looked that up] years since their last major version update (BFD2), has had nightmare problems and has been VERY neglected by the company that bought the product line from fxpansion many years ago. Consequently,  I've been waiting to see if they ever get the problems worked out and are saling smooth for a bit before pressing the buy button. The people I know that own it have all recommended that I don’t spend the $49 USD on BFD3 for numerous reasons. 

Edited by PavlovsCat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

21 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

This is the same price for upgrading from BFD Eco which I own, but frankly, if you check the various forums, BFD3, which is more than 10 years since their last major version update (BFD2) has had nightmare problems and very neglected by the company that bought the product line from fxpansion many years ago. So I've been waiting to see if they ever get the problems worked out and are saling smooth for a bit before pressing the buy button. The people I know that own it have all recommended that I don’t spend the $49 USD on BFD3 for numerous reasons. 

$49 for the license and the headaches for FREE?!! Sign me up!

LOL, I'm just a cynical, jaded, disillusioned owner of BFD2 from the FXpansion days who experienced first FXpansion's neglect and then inMusic's absolute ineptitude, please don't mind me 

Edited by Monomox
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Their customer support is slow but thorough.
I had a several issues but they got taken care of.
Latest was issue with one of my Zildjian Digital Vault libraries not being carried forward.  Took them a while but they fixed it.
Understandably frustrating when you want something fixed NOW.

Edited by TheSteven
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, simon said:

BFD3 is total clusterf*ck at the minute but at $49 I think it's well worth a punt.

@PavlovsCat - one for you I think ? has a good selection of sounds - much better bet than the 8dio stuff (IMO)

bear in mind no VST3 and the promised M1 support is long, long, long overdue.

Thanks for the feedback (also, thanks to TheSteven). If someone offers it for $29 USD or below for an upgrade,  I might bite. Otherwise,  it's been at $49 USD for an upgrade for years and from their forum and a couple of friends who own it telling me their bad experiences,  I'm not ready to move at this moment. 

Edited by PavlovsCat

Fantastic sounds. I prefer the sounds to those of Toontrack. Very unreliable, and has been for some time now. This is kind of like buying a high flying tech stock after it’s crashed. Will it come back? Who knows. If you consider this as a flyer, it’s a good deal. 

18 minutes ago, PavlovsCat said:

Thanks for the feedback (also, thanks to TheSteven). If someone offers it for $39 USD or below for an update,  I might bite. Otherwise,  it's been at $49 USD for an update for years and from their forum and a couple of friends who own it telling me their bad experiences,  I'm not ready to move at this moment. 

yes, sorry I missed the fact you'd posted earlier in the thread 

BFD3 still gets used reliably every day in our network despite the issues (and hearsay from some non-owners). It's a staple in all our DAW templates for the simple reason that it sounds the best, based on a background in tracking acoustic drums. 

the rollout a year after being acquired by InMusic from Roli was an unbelievably miserable screwup with one of the worst DRM implementations i've ever had to deal with and directly affected active -and- previous projects.  Some (one?) user went so far as to claim they successfully sued to get their money back for all purchases. InMusic has since managed to fix the most egregious insults to the existing user base, but it  took well over a year, without much to offer otherwise. They claim to be working on M1 support (betas in test?) but it runs fine on Win10. No clue or expectations on VST3, but tbh, not an issue here. There were some issues with some expansions (mismatched samples, mixer channels, etc) but the core program works as expected. 

1 hour ago, Pollux said:

the interface is quite outdated, but the sound is amazing. It's very realistic in terms of articulations, resonance and swell

many of us prefer the current (vector) interface, as pretty pixels don't make it more usable or sound better. ymmv🙂

as for sounds, we've owned and tried AD2, SD2, Slate in the past, which are ok for duplicating stock/canned/sounds reminiscent of some favorite artist, but they've never cut it for our needs. One of us even took on Melda/MDrummer as a candidate (based on what they did with the piano), but never got on well enough to get the desired results or recommend it. SD3 is probably the most feasible alternate (= expansions with "raw" sounds), but kept weighing that investment against a good mic while pulling up existing projects and bouncing the audio down to avert any potential future disasters. (the increase in file space is a very small price to pay for peace of mind >> best practice for every project.)

would  be happy to be proved wrong, but not expecting a BFD4 anytime soon as there hasn't been much wrt updates/promises lately, but could be a bit of shell shock as the forums were pretty brutal. fwiw, InMusic has come out with a new expansion since the InMusic acquisition and at least a couple of core FXpansion founders are still on board and appearing to fight the good fight. 

that said, it's hard to beat the price if high quality drum sounds (especially cymbals) will make a difference in your projects. probably more so than another saturation plug or mastering eq, or most of the alternates. jmho. 

• Like 9

I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries. I shouldn't buy more drum libraries.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6