Cakewalk and XR32 mixer - experiences?

Harley Dear

Hi all, I have a 3pce band ( bass, and 2 guitars, all with vocals )  that uses cakewalk midi files as backing tracks for drums/percussion and synths, pianos, brass and other frills. We connect with a Soundcraft Ui24R.  The Ui24R is a nice mixer, sounds great and was reasonably easy to patch the 12 midi tracks to so our sound guy can mix via a tablet.

I am thinking of getting a back-up for the Ui24R, and logic would say "just get another one", however there seems to be quite a few problems with the latest batches - dropouts, re-boots etc. That's made me nervous so I have been looking at the Behringer XR32 as my backup unit.

Have any of you had experience with this mixer and if so, how have you found patching Cakewalk to the mixer - simple or complicated?  Has it worked flawlessly, or is the set-up 'buggy'?

I've seen a couple of videos where cakewalk artists have connected to the XR32, but the videos weren't great and I wasn't totally convinced one way or another.

May I hear your views please from those who have gone down a similar route?

Thanks - Harley

Edited by Harley Dear

I have a Behringer X32 Producer model that I have used to record several albums on. It works great for me. It is very flexible but takes some time getting your head around the routing.

I have  not had any problems with mine in the 8 years I have had it.

Edited by reginaldStjohn
  • Like 1

Thanks Reginald. The Ui24R doesn't take much getting your head around so that's an interesting comment regards the XR32.

Here's my Cakewalk template for sending the MIDI channels to the Ui24R and the Ui24R patching, so it's pretty easy to do. I would not want to change my sends from Cakewalk obviously, so I'd have to have the XR32 mimic what the Ui24R does.

Does that sound achievable to you?

image.thumb.png.30cf66e88c8ba40217aba9766e34dfcb.pngimage.thumb.png.51512c7aa08bb948152a3d01c8247e9d.pngimage.thumb.png.2bdffa032b0c2fe82be80ec6c0d83e42.png

Edited by Harley Dear

What you want to do is achievable with the X32 series. Once you setup the routing for the X32 the cakewalk routing should be the same or very similar. It is the routing of the X32 though that takes some time to understand.  I would recommend reading through the user manual of the desired X32 to see how it works.

https://mediadl.musictribe.com/media/sys_master/h9b/h22/8849399545886.pdf

Edited by reginaldStjohn

I've decided that after a lot of research and delving into the existing problems with the ui24R ( which can be overcome when you know how! ) that I'll stick with getting another Ui24R. The UI is much easier to follow, you don't need a separate App to connect, a couple other features and the fact that CWP files are set up for the UI24R already, that makes it a no brainer. In addition, I can copy show set-ups from one unit to the other.

Cheers - Harley

As people have said, once you get used to the routing protocol, the X32 is a phenomenal piece of kit.

My 80s synthpop tribute band is about to make the transition from analogue to digital with a better in ear monitoring setup. Having each grouping in Bandlab sent to individual stereo pairings, being able to apply dynamics within the desk mix also to sweeten the output and hopefully soon optimise the mix via the PA is gonna be great.

Harddrive