Lucille (a Cover)

freddy j

This is the first time (and probably the last) that I have submitted a cover song.  A long time in a place far away, I was listening to our local community radio station when I heard this absoflippinlutely great rendition of the Everly Brothers arrangement of the Richard Penniman (Little Richard) song Lucille.  For any "Youngbloods" reading this, that are not familiar with this song by these artist, I recommend that you go on YouTube and bend an ear to both the Everly and Little Richard recordings.  Unfortunately, I did not get the name of the band but I quickly plugged in my guitar are recorded a couple of tracks of what I remembered.  A while ago I ran across this this recording and finished it up. 

As always I would appreciate any comments, suggestions, crit's, etc. but as this is my first time (for a cover) please be gentle.

Thanks.

LUCILLE   ( A COVER)

https://www.soundclick.com/artist/default.cfm?bandid=963481

• Like 4

Hey Freddie, wow, for a minute there I thought you were gonna do Richard and I thought man, Freddie's got a pair to attempt that.  BUT, your cover of Everly's version is great -- your vocals are spot-on as is the feel of this -- everything is just right and a toe-tapper.  I enjoyed this a lot -- good work!  :)  -- Allan.

Whaaa?  Freddy's doing a Little Richard cover? OK the Everly Brothers then. I knew Pat Boone had done a cover, but didn't know about the Everly Bros. Anyway, I thought you did a great job on this. The voc treatment is good and the overall sound is as well. And I love that 50s guitar riff.
-Bjorn

Hi RikF.  Thanks very much for taking the time to listen and for the kind comments.  Much appreciated and I'm glad that you liked it.

Hi Jesse.  I wish I could remember the name of the band that did the cover of the Everly Brothers" arrangement of the Little Richard original  - gasp for breath  --  the band that prompted me to do this cover, I mean!.  Thanks very much for the kind words.  BTW, I loved your new post "Leave Your Phone At Home" -- most cool!

Hey Wookie.  Thanks for listening and commenting!  Loved your recent post (TD 2).

Hey tom.  Thanks for posting the original and originator of "Lucille"  I remember the first time I heard it --- I was floored!  The Everly Brothers I would try, but I would never attempt to try Little Richard.   Only Little Richard can do Little Richard.  If I did try I would probably tear up my vocal cords and break something else of my physicality.   Thanks for listening and your encouragement!!

• Like 1

You chose a great song to cover, and using the Everly's arrangement is the way to go if you're not Little Richard.  You captured the essence of this song in your own way, actually, with your unique guitar playing and sound.  Really tasty!  Your vocals sound like something coming from the speaker of my dad's 1956 pickup am radio.  You give nostalgia a good name!

Edited by Lynn Wilson

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Nigel.  Thanks very much for listening and the comments.  I appreciate it!  Have a safe trip back to S. Africa!

Hi Batsbrew.  Nice to hear from you.  I appreciate your kind comments and thanks for taking the time to listen and comment!  There is indeed only one Little Richard!

Hey Allan.  I would probably break my larynx if I tried to do any of Little Richards stuff.  I compliment myself that I am clever enough not to try.  I am glad that you enjoyed it and thank you for the kind words!

Hi Bjorn.  Nah, I don't have the courage to try and emulate Little Richard.  For an old fossil like me, the Everly Brothers version was enough of a challenge.  I glad that you enjoyed it and thanks for the kind words and encouragement.

Thank you Andy.  Thanks for the kind words and I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

Hi Lynn.  I was fortunate to see the Everly's a couple of times when my wife and I lived in Toronto.  They looked a bit older but still sounded great.  Oh ya, they also demonstrated some of their infamous bickering while on stage.  I appreciate you kind words.  Thanks for listening and commenting!

On 11/14/2022 at 9:54 AM, Lynn Wilson said:

Your vocals sound like something coming from the speaker of my dad's 1956 pickup am radio.  

This, exactly!!! I was going to comment on how the drums are pretty buried, I'm only really hearing the cymbal, but if you are aiming for the 1963 Ford F-100 mono speaker dashboard mix, so sweet, it's there. 

Your vocals are the perfect blend as well, excellent!

Listen to your tune and stare at the dashboard speaker! My Dad had one of these when I was a kid. Very nice indeed!

637808749_f100dash.thumb.jpg.171546ffe27341fe3b6cefc1eb863ff4.jpg

Edited by PhonoBrainer
  • Like 1

Hi Phono Brainer!  I love that aqua green color that was used around that time.  Great photo!  My first car was a 1957 Ford (used - about 10 years old).  The radio looked similar with no push buttons.  After the comments from Lynn and you - yup, I remember that sound!  The treble was up and there was little bottom.  The drums were usually present but soft, as was the bass.  The lead and rhythm guitars were OK and the vocals dominated.  I was doing this song from memory (from what ever that band's name was) and it must have carried over.  Thanks very much for the kind comments!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

First of all my apologies for being tardy in responding.  It has been a bad combination of the holidays, CoVid (my son and sister), and my computer being cranky and needing some  TLC by someone that knew what they were doing.

Hey Jesse.  Happy New year and many thanks for listening and commenting.

Thank you Hidden Symmetry!  I appreciate the kind words about this number and the Christmas song post.

Hi Ron_Pko.  Thanks for taking time to listen and for the kind comments.

Hi Leadfoot.  I must admit that I like the Little Richard version best but I could never present it as did he.  The Everly's version was hard enough.  Thanks very much for listening and for the encouraging comments.