Caught Up In You - Mix #3 & 4

Lynn Wilson

Hi everyone!  Here's a song that I've worked on for weeks, and I've mixed and rerecorded it many times and have finally decided to put it up for advice.  I feel like I'm in the middle of the forest at this point, so thanks in advance for any and all help.

It can be found here:  https://soundclick.com/r/s8maw8

Mix #4:  https://soundclick.com/r/s8n3ik     (based on Paul Bush's suggestion to rethink the mix)

Edited by Lynn Wilson

Got a nice little sexy hook and nice change into the keys. I think you should be a bit more brave sometimes with production. i think you're trying so hard to keep it clean and space (im probably wrong) but maybe there was a few bits where everything  was competing and you should sometimes drop some instrument's back. Its like the instrument on the left is competing with the instrument on the right, sometime you can drop one instrument back and bring one into the middle for a chorus or middle 8 with a room bus.  A tip, the instrument on the right put its reverb on the left and the instrument on the left put its reverb on the right to glue the mix.  I would have tried some delay to through the voice at times as a surprise. love the vibe, this is where my old rock roots come from, good guitarist and vocal tone 

P

• Great Idea 1

18 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

Sounds really good to me.   Can't hear the drums, are there drums?  I like the minor mode and those chords in the pre-chorus.  Nice work

2 hours ago, Bajan Blue said:

Hi Lynn - I like this but I think the main problem is the drums - I can hear them but they don't seem to compliment the track.

Apart from that,  good guitar and I think the mix is OK

Cool

Nigel

OK, thanks guys!  More time mixing today!  One note:  I did intentionally leave out the kick and snare until halfway through verse one, and may yet keep this feature.  What do you think?

I've taken all your suggestions and remixed this just now.  I beefed up the drums and redid some parts to tighten it up, I hope.   I also added some "ghost" reverb on the lead vox and delay in certain sections.  I'm beginning to see the forest in spite of the trees and think that this tune is moving in the right direction.

https://soundclick.com/r/s8maw8

My opinion is that I like it.  I have been listening to your tunes for years, and you always have a distinct style and are a creative guitar player.

The mis=x is good on my Mackies (oops, I mean my JBL,s(wrong location)), and the BGV are cool.

The bass is working for me

a sweaty song

so cool at 4:55

lots of lube underneath the vibe!  Love it, for real, (I resigned my membership in the Mutual Appreciation Society a while ago.)

• Thanks 1

I think it's better!  It might be my speakers but the bass is still the loudest part in the song- I would bring the drums up a small touch, and lower the bass, to make drums and bass equal.  The drum kick is really nice with the bass.  The panned guitars are on fire!  Super nice whatever you did.  

• Great Idea 1

Sounds great Lynn. Very clear voc so it's easy to hear  the lyrics.  
I like the little changeup around 1:15
Nice instrument separation, great mix - I can tell you put a lot of work into this.
4:45 whoa didn't expect that. Works well  near the outro.

Professional job my friend!
-Bjorn

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Jesse Screed said:

My opinion is that I like it.  I have been listening to your tunes for years, and you always have a distinct style and are a creative guitar player.

The mis=x is good on my Mackies (oops, I mean my JBL,s(wrong location)), and the BGV are cool.

The bass is working for me

a sweaty song

so cool at 4:55

lots of lube underneath the vibe!  Love it, for real, (I resigned my membership in the Mutual Appreciation Society a while ago.)

Jesse, thanks a million for your encouraging words!  I feel that I'm getting closer.  Btw, I love your new song;  I'll tell you more about that in your post.

14 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

I think it's better!  It might be my speakers but the bass is still the loudest part in the song- I would bring the drums up a small touch, and lower the bass, to make drums and bass equal.  The drum kick is really nice with the bass.  The panned guitars are on fire!  Super nice whatever you did.  

Thank you MJ for you ears!  I'm going to try your idea in a little while.  I'm still looking for that balance between speakers and headphones.

11 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Sounds great Lynn. Very clear voc so it's easy to hear  the lyrics.  
I like the little changeup around 1:15
Nice instrument separation, great mix - I can tell you put a lot of work into this.
4:45 whoa didn't expect that. Works well  near the outro.

Professional job my friend!
-Bjorn

Bjorn, this is high praise coming from you, my friend!  As you can see above, I'm still getting good suggestions and will be trying them out in a little while.  I do think it's getting closer to the mark, but I DO love mixing...  (the forest is larger today)

Not being the best at production myself here´s my twopeneth worth, I loved the chord changes but i felt they coulve be more acentuated (hopefully thats the word)and at times there was just too much going on and not enough space  , I wouldnt rush this one Lynn its well worth a slight re-think .I`´m sticking my neck out here but Its got a ``crime of the centry ´´ feel to it   just my thought `s cheers paul

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paul Bush said:

Not being the best at production myself here´s my twopeneth worth, I loved the chord changes but i felt they coulve be more acentuated (hopefully thats the word)and at times there was just too much going on and not enough space  , I wouldnt rush this one Lynn its well worth a slight re-think .I`´m sticking my neck out here but Its got a ``crime of the centry ´´ feel to it   just my thought `s cheers paul

Paul, thanks for your input and time!  I'm in no hurry to finish this, and all the suggestions I've received have been good.  I take your words to heart, so stay tuned!

Much better to my ears!   Now, it rocks!   This is classic guitar rock genre and guitar rock needs rock drumming.   That's all that was missing to me.  The bass is great.  Sorry I got nit-picky but you write great guitar rock.  Your style is close to Stevie Ray Vaughn.  Listen to any song by him and drums are always strong.  

• Thanks 1

@Lynn Wilson have not heard mix 1 or 2 so can not make meaningful comment on the mix changes.  The lyrics hit a nerve here with the line on confusion so do not feel alone, I think we all suffer form this at these moments, with the nutters who think they run us or those trying to.

Very dense mix for me, though that does not mean it lacks clarity in the important elements. 

Will keep the furry ears out for future developments.  Nice groove change in the last minuet.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, MichaelJohn said:

Much better to my ears!   Now, it rocks!   This is classic guitar rock genre and guitar rock needs rock drumming.   That's all that was missing to me.  The bass is great.  Sorry I got nit-picky but you write great guitar rock.  Your style is close to Stevie Ray Vaughn.  Listen to any song by him and drums are always strong.  

Cool, I must be going in the right direction.  I very much appreciate the SRV comment, as I have listened to him a lot throughout the years, however, lately I've been listening to Gary Moore.  I knew about him all my life, but recently started watching his live videos on YouTube.  You're spot on about the drums, and I must constantly keep reminding myself to hit them harder.  Many thanks!

4 hours ago, Wookiee said:

@Lynn Wilson have not heard mix 1 or 2 so can not make meaningful comment on the mix changes.  The lyrics hit a nerve here with the line on confusion so do not feel alone, I think we all suffer form this at these moments, with the nutters who think they run us or those trying to.

Very dense mix for me, though that does not mean it lacks clarity in the important elements. 

Will keep the furry ears out for future developments.  Nice groove change in the last minuet.

Thanks Wookie for your kind words!  I appreciate your notice of the lyrics, as I tried to make them as universal as possible.  There has been a lot going on in the lives of the people in my life and myself, too.

You're not the only one who noticed the density of the mix.  I originally wrote this as a five piece band:  2 guitars, bass, keyboard, and drums - something that a good garage band could play live.  However, Paul Bush encouraged me to give this more thought, and that's my goal for this weekend.

Thanks to all, and stay tuned!

Hi Lynn.  This song really demonstrates your style.  You do write some great lyrics and your vocals certainly complemented the angst of the lyrics.  As always, you come up with some great guitar accents and leads.  I too was caught off guard at the end but doggone  -- it works -- cool!  Oh yea that bass line really drives it along.  Great work pal!!!

• Thanks 1

Hi Lynn.

I love the groove in this song!

The drums feel a little uneven to my ears. The cymbals seem a bit too loud compared with the kick and snare. Try giving them a bit more power with some parallel compression. Also try giving the snare a small boost around 7k; that'll help it feel a bit livelier in the denser parts of the song.

Great vocals and guitar throughout - well done!

• Great Idea 1