volume automation line goes on and on

Lee Rouse

I used volume automation to mute particular section of a track. When I set the volume points at the lowest possible and then raised the volume for a different section, I noticed that the volume line seemed to go on and on for hundreds of bars. How do I limit this? Is there a way to set the length of the project (e.g., 90 bars) so that the length of the automation line is limited?

As I'm thinking about this, it seems that a better approach might be to split the clip into sections (e.g., verse, chorus, etc) and mute individual clips where I don't want any sound.

Been working with Cakewalk for a couple of months. It's a long learning curve but I'm making progress.

Cakewalk has no concept of "end of song". It tries to figure that out based on where the last event occurs, which might be the end of an audio or MIDI clip, a MIDI note, an automation node, or an ARA region. Quite often, the "end" that it comes up with doesn't land where you think it should be.

The good news is that it doesn't really matter until you export your final mix. At that time, you have to decide where the beginning and ending are and select the region in between for export. I deal with this by placing markers labeled "Start" and "End". When you export, you can specify those markers. If it really bothers you, you can find that last event and move or delete it.

It would be nice if Cakewalk would let you indicate Start and End markers as references that the export dialog would default to, but I've been lobbying for years for that feature with no luck. But as I said, it's really not a problem.

• Thanks 1