Hypnotized

mark skinner

Hello , my younger brother and biggest fan , thought this song would be a good fit for me and suggested that I try to cover it. I tried to give it more of a laid back feel than in the original. I hope you enjoy it  , any and all crits and suggestions are welcomed.  Thanks ..  mark           - Final Mix-

Edited by mark skinner
Remix
  • Like 2

Hi Mark, I didn' t know the original, so after I listened to your version I listened to the original. You captured this very well, good job. I was going to say that the drums were a tad annoying, but the original is the same so what do I know ; )

Rik

• Like 1

Thanks Rick , I agree about the drums but at least I didn't put in the 16 second kick drum intro.. I also realized that I didn't turn off my headphone EQ offset in the master bus before exporting. I may redo my mastering pretty soon if I get any mix suggestions .  Thanks for the listen ..   mark

Truly hypnotic groove Mark . . . this one will be top of my listening list for quite a while !

Really like the separation you got between the left and right guitars, leaving so much room in the middle. The kick may be a bit distracting on headphones, but it seems perfect on smaller speakers, and I think it's essential to be up front as an overall rhythmic drum hook, just like in the original. Myself, I would probably have played with some of the kick accent volumes to take it down a bit in a few places (intro ?), more like Mick.

For the vocal chorus harmony "Got me Hypnotized"  . . . the original has that little higher note turn in the higher harmony, then goes down a step. On my first listen to your version, something sounded different there, so I had to go listen to the original. Either way, your more laid back version works great, and granted those high notes are female vocals, so you've totally made your version your very own. Most impressive guitar licks and smooth vocals all through this, your brother had a very good idea !

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RikF said:

was going to say that the drums were a tad annoying, but the original is the same so what do I know

<mock outrage>
My Gawd Man!
Mick Fleetwood (maybe one of the top ten rock drummers of all time, in what is maybe one of the top ten rock bands of all time) annoying?
(I'm giggling.....)
</mock outrage>
This is NOT a Buckingham/Nicks Fleetwood Mac tune btw... rather a Weston/Welch collaboration.

Mark you've done a great job on the vocals and guitars. Could it be remixed? Sure why not?
If I was going to do a remix, I would heed noynekker's recommendations and concentrate on the kick, toning it down a bit (a lot) yet
keeping the original intent (hows that for subtlety saying "man that kick is annoying" and "I don't know what to do"?).

Performances; outstanding 👍's. Mix: good.

t

ok, a little truth here; I don't own Mystery to Me
(actually the only FM album that does NOT feature Peter Green I own is the 2 CD; Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits)
I've always thought this was Stevie Guitar Miller; you may laugh incessantly now.

that is all...

• Like 1

I've not heard (or don't recall) the original. Putting the kick issue aside, this song is smooooth and I like it.

I'd turn the kick into a kick-hitom-lotom-floorhitom-floorlotom pattern. It migh be less annoying that way. Just a thought.

• Like 1

@noynekker Thanks for the input , I spent a good amount of time on the guitars until I got them sitting right. The high harmony was a little out of my range on the top note and I just missed it. Soloed it sounds weak and just Bad. I now have used the middle harmony high notes and built the part in melodyne. It sounds a Lot better now. I also adjusted a couple of the middle harmony notes. I Really appreciate you directing me to the problem area.  (Gone Hollywood remix?)  @DeeringAmps Thanks for weighing in.  The annoying drum parts are on my end. I was too robotic and without velocity changes. I found some old videos showing Mic playing the drums and I'm now pretty Deep into editing my drum tracks. (tedious)  @Bapu Thanks for the comment and drum suggestion. The toms may be a good way to break it up a little , if done right and in the right sections. I'll for sure give it a try.  Thanks  ..    I'll update the mix before long .       mark

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1

I've done some work on the vocals and a good bit on the drums. There's a lot more variations on the main drum pattern and some minor accents added. It's not so robotic and annoying now. Thank You for your input.     New EQ/panning/New master.             Appreciate your help ..       mark  

-The top song link now also reflects the remix-

Edited by mark skinner

@Wookiee @Bajan Blue @DeeringAmps  Thanks guys for the positive feedback! @Jesse Screed Yes , I used my Takamine Ltd direct in. I tried using an acoustic impulse response with it but the old DSP preamp sounded much better. I'm still working on some vocal parts thanks to some pm help from @noynekker When I'm done with this last mix , I'll just tag it but won't bump it up again. You guys are Awesome.    Thank You ..   mark                                                                 - Latest Mix -

https://soundclick.com/r/s8n2t0

Edited by mark skinner
  • Like 1

Hello Mark...I remember the original version of this song VERY well. I always found it to be a magical, mystical tune. You have captured the original vibe, but given it your own unique treatment. You also have a very interesting quality to your voice, that is really pleasant to listen to. There were a couple of places where the timing seemed to drift a bit, but otherwise, you did a great job on this cover! Thank you for posting it.

• Like 1