Advanced USB Microphone by SSL

satya

https://www.solidstatelogic.com/sslconnex

With 4 user modes

SSL CONNEX enhances sound quality whether you’re in a group conference call, online in a coffee shop chatting with friends, or recording vocals and instruments wherever inspiration strikes. Featuring an advanced quad microphone array with four specially defined user modes, SSL CONNEX makes sure you sound great in any scenario. All four modes feature an advanced immersive recording setting. This allows you to access each of the four individual mic sources for the purpose of immersive and spatial recordings or broadcasts.

Connex is available now for the introductory price of $150 (regular price $199) and is compatible with PC, Mac and USB-equipped tablets. 

https://www.musicradar.com/news/ssl-connex-usb-microphone

• Thanks 1

This looks similar to telephone conference mics that I used to use in the 1990s . We had them in our company for our weekly telephone meetings with the US.

The sound quality of those mics was not great. If SSL have upgraded this system and added a post mic processing phase, this might be interesting.

However, my worry would be too much room bleed and background noise, especially as you wouldn't be able to get the mic close to your instrument or your mouth. That added distance might add too much extra noise.

I'd be interested to hear feedback from anyone who has used it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Carpenter said:

The BIG issue I have with the idea of a USB mic is the quality (lack there of) of a lot of USB ports to this day, and controller for said ports. I’ll stick to proper mics with XLR ports and cables. 

I think the concept is a nice easy fix for some people.. but. Nope. 

and more latency than traditional hardware

• Like 1