Looking for a Heart in Las Vegas 2022

Bert Guy

A  few years ago, I posted an old (2007) mix of this tune on the old CW website. I got some good crits that I employed in this remix/remaster. 

This tune will be on my upcoming album

The Lost Vegas Sessions/   Songs About Bad Girls and Dead Singers 

Bert Guy and the Up All Night Band

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=14488467

Cheers.

Bert

• Like 3

This is a terrific song that's searching for a terrific mix.  The drum issue has been brought up, and I agree with those observations, and I also think that the drums should be at least as loud as the guitars.  This song is looking for a driving kick and snare beat with body.  I also had trouble locating the bass guitar at times.  As mentioned before, your lyrics are inspired and deserve to be heard!  Turn those vocals up above the instruments (slightly), and you'll be in the ball park.  I enjoyed the unpredictable middle section, which makes your arrangement a step above.  A few more tweaks and this will be stellar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2022 at 5:18 AM, Wookiee said:

Some elements of Frank Zapper in the lyrics, to these furry ears.  Nice enough track if I had one observation the drums feel a little monotonous,  to these furry ears they need some finessing. 

Good recording though.

On 11/7/2022 at 8:42 AM, Bajan Blue said:

I agree with Wookie - tracks OK but with some different programing on the drums, could be a great track - enjoyed the Guitar

Cool

Nigel

Wookie and Bajan,

I agree- the drums are a problem with this mix.  To my ears, it lacks a popping snare part, especially during the chorus. 

Unfortunately, this drum part is embedded in a studio mix of GTR/bass/drums that I am working with in CW.  I do have the raw tracks, so if I had any sound engineering chops,  I could possibly remix the drums separately and sync it with the existing mix. 

So thanks for listening and offering constructive crits- very helpful.

Cheers,

Bert

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 3:21 PM, Lynn Wilson said:

This is a terrific song that's searching for a terrific mix.  The drum issue has been brought up, and I agree with those observations, and I also think that the drums should be at least as loud as the guitars.  This song is looking for a driving kick and snare beat with body.  I also had trouble locating the bass guitar at times.  As mentioned before, your lyrics are inspired and deserve to be heard!  Turn those vocals up above the instruments (slightly), and you'll be in the ball park.  I enjoyed the unpredictable middle section, which makes your arrangement a step above.  A few more tweaks and this will be stellar.

Lynn,

Thanks for your comments on the song itself. I worked off and on for six weeks to finish this lyric (and read three books about Las Vegas).  And yeah. I am happy with the bridge- its hard to write a good one in my experience.

I agree with your comments about the drums- I think it needs a popping snare, especially during the chorus. Unfortunately, the instrumental parts are imbedded in a 16 year old studio mix. I have the raw tracks and I am sure I could fix the drums, but I know I can't edit the guitars as well as the engineer did. 

Cheers,

Bert