Soundspot $5 Pluginboutique (a list of my favorites)

Starship Krupa

https://www.pluginboutique.com/deals/show?sale_id=11720

Yeah, yeah, we all have a pile of Soundspot plug-ins that we bought to get PB freebies and/or when we were first getting our feet wet in the sea of 3rd-party FX.

IMO, some of their stuff is ho-hum, easily replaced once one dives a little deeper into quality FX, but some of their stuff is pretty good, especially considering the price. The following are some that have withstood the test of time.

In order of usefulness:

1. Voxbox: the traditional vocal double-track, it has a very handy display to help you dial in the width and amount. My go-to for this class of effect
  2. Cyclone: stereo/mid-side compressor with saturation, this one gives you the mid and side all front-facing. If you're into mid-side compression processing, this is a useful, straightforward tool with an attractive UI. Even though I have elysia alpha mastering compressor, I still sometimes use Cyclone for its more straightforward UI. The saturation doesn't sound half bad, but I usually don't push it that hard.
  3. Glitch: it's a glitch tool. It makes glitches. It's five bucks.
  4. Hiku: a bus sweetener, does compression, saturation, etc. with minimal controls. I usually don't go in for this sort of thing, preferring to set up the individual elements, but Hiku really sounds good for punching up rhythmic elements. Gets you there fast, sounds good.
  5. FAT/FAT2: FAT is their free filter, a go-to for me when I just want a dead simple high or low pass that I can easily automate. FAT2 adds things like internal modulation and multiple filter types.

This is not to say that their others are useless, Ravage and Overtone are pretty good at what they do, but the above 5 are the ones I kept when I did the big purge.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TracingArcs said:

I picked up Nebula last year. Hardly used it. I'm sure it's ok. Just seems to lack "something".

Nebula is one of those plug-ins that seems like it would be more useful than it actually is. All that flexibility in modulation, I thought it would end up being my go-to flanger, chorus, trem, etc. Very attractive UI, too.

But somehow it just never clicked with me. Maybe it's that "something" that is missing.

• Like 1