Lenovo P52

bluzdog

Hi guys,

Lenovo has the P52 on sale. I can get one with an i7 8750H, 512gb m.2 and 16gb of ram for $1169. I'm looking to replace my old Dell Studio 15. Should I pull the trigger.  I would post a link to the Lenovo site but I'm on an old iPad and it's a pita. Thanks.

Rocky

47 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

Hi guys,

Lenovo has the P52 on sale. I can get one with an i7 8750H, 512gb m.2 and 16gb of ram for $1169. I'm looking to replace my old Dell Studio 15. Should I pull the trigger.  I would post a link to the Lenovo site but I'm on an old iPad and it's a pita. Thanks.

Rocky

Don t hink twice it 2500 euros here ...

May I suggest you write down your requirements? Is now a requirement?

Amazon Prime Days is just around the corner; other stores are participating.

Just a few more months to the BF season. The new processors will lower prices and provide a bigger selection.

I like to buy when I have a need. Just my 2¢.

52 minutes ago, Edward Garner said:

May I suggest you write down your requirements? Is now a requirement?

Amazon Prime Days is just around the corner; other stores are participating.

Just a few more months to the BF season. The new processors will lower prices and provide a bigger selection.

I like to buy when I have a need. Just my 2¢.

1 hour ago, Zo said:

Don t hink twice it 2500 euros here ...

Thanks Zo. I was hoping you would reply. 

Ed, the 9th generation Intel processors are out. This is a Black Friday in July deal. My wife took over my Dell for her job search so there is a need indeed. See what I did there. 😄 Thanks for the input.

2 minutes ago, bluzdog said:

Thanks Zo. I was hoping you would reply. 

Ed, the 9th generation Intel processors are out. This is a Black Friday in July deal. My wife took over my Dell for her job search so there is a need indeed. See what I did there. 😄 Thanks for the input.

lol smart move

THe P52 is an exellent choice Bluzdog and if it was for weight i would happily go for it instead of the Xtreme X1 that i want for school and moves ...

I’ve been jonesing for a P52, P1 or Extreme X1, but have read some Lenovo and other threads about some problems with Thunderbolt implementation, BIOS changes bricking some, and some odd latency issues. Anyone know if these issues have been worked out? I’ve got a 7 year old Thinkpad that’s been like a recording tank for me, so I tend to be partial toward Lenovo’s.

I've read about the bricking issue and Lenovo said that it's been resolved. I thought the thunderbolt issue is with the docking station. I haven't read about a latency issue but I disqualified the Dell XPS because of continuing doc latency issues.

5 hours ago, LAGinz said:

I’ve been jonesing for a P52, P1 or Extreme X1, but have read some Lenovo and other threads about some problems with Thunderbolt implementation, BIOS changes bricking some, and some odd latency issues. Anyone know if these issues have been worked out? I’ve got a 7 year old Thinkpad that’s been like a recording tank for me, so I tend to be partial toward Lenovo’s.

I have  P52s at work with 32GB memory and 4K display.

The machine itself works fine and is great.

But I have a brick shaped Thunderbolt 3 docking station that was extremely unreliable at first but now crashes "only" once a week, was at first 2 times a day. Firmware updates made it more stable.

My P52 has never crashed when not plugged in the docking station.

My colleague has a conventional looking docking station (also Thunderbolt 3), that his P52s rests on, it has never crashed.

Edited by Finnbogi Ragnar Ragnarsson